Concealers - Toppik, Dermatech & Couvre - Do they work?

G

I'm going on holiday in a months time for 3 weeks but I'm not going to be able to shave my head every 3 or 4 days, as I currently do. So, I was considering buying one of the hair concealers to apply to my hair once it starts to grow out from my zero blade haircut when I'm on holiday.
Do they really work as good as the pictures make out, coz some of the pictures look incredible that I suspect they've been photoshopped? Which would you advise that I get out of Toppik, Dermatech & Couvre or if there is a better one available please say? I'm looking for one that'll be able to handle quite extreme heat/sun, won't wear off in the sea/swimming pool or even sweat out of my head.

Thanks

Kenny

hopewas

Reaction score
i like couvre. don't like toppik..never tried the other ones. couvre only comes off when you shampoo your hair. it can get wet, etc..but still stays on..unlike toppik

G

but does couvre actually make much of a difference? Is it noticeable? coz I don't want to be walking about with people sniggering behind my back. I find some of the pictures impossible to believe

hopewas

Reaction score
if you're thinning it's great. just appply it to the scalp and comb your hair over it. it's completely un noticible

G

yeah, but my haircut is currently a zero blade cut. So the hair that i do have is relatively quite short and constantly the one style. So, do you reckon it'd be of any use considering my hair is this short, or would it just be like applying paint to my head?

hopewas

Reaction score
i don't know..with your hair that short toppik can't cling to anything so that's out. and couvre just darkens your scalp and has the other hair combed over. you basically have your head shaved if it's zero blade.. why would you want to conceal it. you have a shaved head. but if anything. grow some hair and get couvre. it helps. i use it sometimes if my shedding phase gets really bad

G

whats the deal with applying rogaine whilst you have couvre in your hair, will it affect absorption of the minoxidil? Do you apply the rogaine before or after you comb couvre into your hair? Or must you make sure its completely washed out of your hair?

Thanks

kenny

G

yeah, i read it, thanks. Couvre kind of sounds like a paint for your head tbh. So if I was to opt for toppik do you reckon any small amount of water, rain would wash it out? Or if I was to go swimming when I emerge from the water there would just be a black dye floating about me with toppik? So you favour couvre, hmmm

hopewas

Reaction score
i like couvre..yes.. the answer to your questions are on that link.. but if your hair is shaved at 0 blade.. none of these concealers will benefit you

G

Could you guys post before and after pictures of your hair with and without toppik or courve? Coz the pictures on the sites which sell it definitely look photoshopped. Which would be more noticeable to someone looking at my hair from a close distance, toppik or courve?

Thanks

Kenny

G

Does toppik actually stay in the hair or will it fall out after a few hours? Say, if i were to rub my head with toppik in it, would there be a load of fibres on my shoulder?Say for example, I applied, let it dry or whatever then went for a run or a game of football, would the toppik fall out with all the running about or is it sturdy enough to last?

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
Kenny, The products are what they are... I just ordered courve from HairLossTalk.com
knowing that is PAINT!! Spend $20.00 on courve and see if you like if. If you dont, put it in your draw until your hair gets longer. If your still dissatisfied, throw it out or save it for Halloween...LOL

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Going on 11 years with Couvre using every single day on entire scalp.......and loving it!! Go through quite a bit. I am probably 80% thin and makes me about <5% or none, when I am done. Just incredible. I even fooled my hair dermo and his secretary when she said..."you don't need a transplant" and I'm 80% loss thin. :)

G

could you post some pictures of your hair with and without couvre? coz the pics on the sites selling couvre look fake, and as I live in Ireland it's going to cost me a fortune just to buy it online with shipping costs to europe etc. I'm sick of spending money on sh*t that doesn't work.

Thanks

Kenny

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
kenny19 said:
could you post some pictures of your hair with and without couvre? coz the pics on the sites selling couvre look fake, and as I live in Ireland it's going to cost me a fortune just to buy it online with shipping costs to europe etc. I'm sick of spending money on sh*t that doesn't work.

Thanks

Kenny

Believe me...11 years on this "miracle cure". Works best on crown...need to be able to cover up with other hair to look good. Works in front by just dulling the white scalp. Looks best on dark hair.