Concerned About Graft Security

luke 21:18

Reaction score
How's everybody doin? I recently had a hair transplant and am about a week and a half out. I was told that it would be okay to gently massage the scabs away with a warm soapy wash cloth, this however hasn't helped, espically when hair is wet. I've tried taking a fine tooth comb and gently going over the hair, making sure not to touch the scalp, but hair will often come out along with the scabs. The hair is often longer than the grafts, possibly where scabs have formed around the same area, but sometimes it seems the transplanted hair is falling out as well. I am pretty concerned that hair will continue to fall out, has anybody experienced the same, and how long before the grafts are secure enough to remove the scabs? Thank you for any help and advice in advance.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
usually the transplanted "hair" falls but the implanted follicle remains and will go dormant for like 90 days or soo

then it will grow usually at first grow a weak looking hair but in time it will go fully terminal

sometimes hair around the grafted sits will become shocked and fall out as well but they normally return

i would personally let the scabs fall off naturally .....i think mine came off like crazy after 14 days or sooo

Reaction score
Thank you, i'll try to stop messing with them, I just hate the way they look, I think you're right about the shocked hairs, that seems to be the case. Thanks again for your input

lesterpaul

Reaction score
Get used to looking hidious for a while. Just leave them alone and they will dry up and fall off.

I am at 6 months after mine. Man that first 4 months takes forever. Just don't look in the mirror. You'll just get yourself all bent out of shape.

The grafts form connective tissue pretty rapidly. Shock loss is the loss of existing, DHT influenced hair. That happens after about a month or so.
The thing you want to do is to protect the grafts and get them "settled in". Just try not to touch the scalp for a good while. Be very gentle when washing. Use very gentle shampoos.

Here's what will REALLY help: for the first few weeks, lightly rub vitamin E gel into the scalp and let it absorb. Get a good E gel cap, break it and squeeze the gel on. It will help with redness and inflamation. Then after two weeks, start rubbing EMU oil onto the scalp. That will moisturize the scalp and will infuse natural healing acids to help stimulate cellular integrity. Copper peptide solutions also aid in healing and regeneration.

As far as wanting the new hair to grow, just expext to wait 4 months. At 6 months things will be much better for you.

Hang in there.

badmaxx

Reaction score
Maranatha - I would not allow the grafts to fall out by themselves. I strongly recommend you consult with Dr. Garbutt on the matter, as I do recall my doctor (Dr. Cole), mentioning to me that it is preferred the patient removes the scabs after 10 days or so.

I can't recall if it was to reduce the risk of infection or because there's simply no reason to not scrub them out, since they will keep the surface area of your scalp moist, thereby slowing the healing process.

Definitely get on the horn with your doctor and get his advice on the matter.

s.a.f

Reaction score
lesterpaul said:
Get used to looking hidious for a while. Just leave them alone and they will dry up and fall off.

True after a hair transplant you're going to look worse before you look better, shockloss, pinkness ect. You just have to be patient until the real growing starts.

Petchsky

Reaction score
By day 10 the grafts are locked in, you could take some tweezers and pull the grafts out, and the follicle stays in. See Bernstein website for a research paper him and Rassman did. I've posted it recently.

Try using baby oil on your recipient area, leave to soak for a few hours then shower. I started washing my hair normally on day 10.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll be sure not to touch, it just seems that when I comb the rest of my hair more seem to fall out. I had about a 1000 or so implanted, but I swear I can only count about 70 on one side and maybe a 100 on the other, i'll try to post pics, but something tells me it's not looking so good.

CCS

Reaction score
I could not stop myself from rubbing my scabs off at day 10. I was gentle, but constantly at work. It rained dried up scabs for a few days at least. I got shock loss too, but it grew back. My only complaint is I still think many follicles did not grow out.

Reaction score
i THINK I MAY BE IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU CCS, I HAVE ABOUT MAYBE 50 HAIRS VISSIBLE ON ONE TEMPLE AND ABOUT 90-100 ON THE OTHER. I WAS TOLD THAT THE Doctor DID 1000 GRAFTS, I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHERE CAUSE I DON'T SEE IT, MAYBE IT JUST TAKES TIME TO GROW, BUT ITS BEEN ALMOST 3 WEEKS

s.a.f

Reaction score
maranatha said:
I HAVE ABOUT MAYBE 50 HAIRS VISSIBLE ON ONE TEMPLE AND ABOUT 90-100 ON THE OTHER. I WAS TOLD THAT THE Doctor DID 1000 GRAFTS, I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHERE CAUSE I DON'T SEE IT, MAYBE IT JUST TAKES TIME TO GROW, BUT ITS BEEN ALMOST 3 WEEKS
:shakehead:
3 weeks! All you've done at 3 weeks is shed the hair. It'll be a few months (at least) before you see any growth kicking in.
And you wont see the full effect for over a year. :smack:

Reaction score
I figured 3 months as well, it'just that I thought I would see more small hairs throughout instead of just holes, and evenly both temples. But I guess i'm just being overly concerned.