Confusedaboutthis's Story - (male pattern baldness or Telogen Effluvium? Very Confused.)

confusedaboutthis

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, this website is amazing. I've been able to gain so much knowledge and read other peoples experiences on here. But I’m still confused and would love the opinion of other forum members... I'm 26 and about 3 months ago I began experiencing quite aggressive hair loss. It started suddenly and I think it may be diffuse (although the top now feels and looks a little lighter than the sides and back). I mainly notice most loss when I shampoo and condition my hair in the shower (when I run my hands through my hair, I’m consistently finding hairs in my hand). When it first started around 30 - 50 hairs would fall out by just running my hands through my hair when it was wet). Since, it has slowed to around 5 – 10 hairs. And I’ve noticed nearly every hair that falls has the white bulb at the end. My hair is quite long and I’ve noticed some short hairs being shed also (about an inch and a half long). I guess this is a sign that some of the hairs I’m loosing are growing back then falling again?

Over the passed year and a half I’ve had a medical condition which has resulted in about 12 surgeries under a general anaesthetic. A times, this has caused me a great deal of stress. I recently went to a dermatologist who believes my hair loss is Telogen Effluvium (due to the high number of times I’ve been into hospital over the past 18 months) and said a biopsy probably isn't necessary. I've also been to see two doctors about the hair loss (with one saying its Telogen Effluvium and the other prescribing Propecia!). Now I’m terribly confused! I continue to shed a significant amount of hairs each day and I can definitely feel and see a change in density all over my head now. I've also noticed my temples receding to a NW1. (please see pictures attached. Although i feel in the photos it doesb't quite look as severe).

The dermatologist said the shedding could last up to 6 months. And it could take up to a year before I see the density returned. I'm not sure that it is Telogen Effluvium and fear it could be an aggressive onset of male pattern baldness? Therefore I have become very anxious to take the Propecia because I don’t know how much longer I can go with myself losing all of my hair. Basically, I’m worried that if it's the beginning of male pattern baldness, I could be taking action instead of sitting back and wasting valuable time for this 'Telogen Effluvium' to correct itself. I'd love to have everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for reading this! I highly value the thoughts and opinions of everyone using this site.

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 273

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My Story: male pattern baldness or Telogen Effluvium? Very Confused.

Can't see any signs of male pattern baldness at the moment.. keep taking pictures regularly so we can compare them later.

nickypoos

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My Story: male pattern baldness or Telogen Effluvium? Very Confused.

If a doctor says its male pattern baldness, get on propecia. Might aswell be sure so you don't have to lose any more hair to find out the actual cause.

confusedaboutthis

Reaction score
nickypoos said:
If a doctor says its male pattern baldness, get on propecia. Might aswell be sure so you don't have to lose any more hair to find out the actual cause.

Thanks for the reply - i know what you're saying. But once i start propecia, won't i be committed to it for life? and if i actually have Telogen Effluvium it will eventually pass. Plus i was told Propecia is useless for fighting Telogen Effluvium and may just make me shed more? So confused!

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think I see any signs of male pattern baldness and in your late 20's that is a very strong hairline. If I were you I wouldn't get on medication etc, just keep good track of it with photos every 3 months. Dont worry too much as your hair looks great. Due to your sudden loss, combined with your operations etc I lean towards Telogen Effluvium, I am no expert though. Good luck.

nickypoos

Established Member
Reaction score
confusedaboutthis said:
Thanks for the reply - i know what you're saying. But once i start propecia, won't i be committed to it for life? and if i actually have Telogen Effluvium it will eventually pass. Plus i was told Propecia is useless for fighting Telogen Effluvium and may just make me shed more? So confused!

Propecia will not do anything for Telogen Effluvium, and yes you will be committed to propecia for life. It's up to you, on who's advice you take.

Option 1) Take the first doctors opinion, hope its Telogen Effluvium and your hair will return.

Option 2) Take the second doctors opinion and take propecia.

The only issue is if you do decide to take propecia and your hair comes back, you won't really know whether Telogen Effluvium has subsided, or whether you did have male pattern baldness and propecia fixed it. It's your call.

If I were you, I'd go for a third opinion and ask for a miniturization test, to be certain whether its male pattern baldness, and if it is, be lucky you have spotted it this early and you will keep a full head of hair for a long time to come.

confusedaboutthis

Reaction score
nickypoos said:
confusedaboutthis said:

Propecia will not do anything for Telogen Effluvium, and yes you will be committed to propecia for life. It's up to you, on who's advice you take.

Option 1) Take the first doctors opinion, hope its Telogen Effluvium and your hair will return.

Option 2) Take the second doctors opinion and take propecia.

The only issue is if you do decide to take propecia and your hair comes back, you won't really know whether Telogen Effluvium has subsided, or whether you did have male pattern baldness and propecia fixed it. It's your call.

If I were you, I'd go for a third opinion and ask for a miniturization test, to be certain whether its male pattern baldness, and if it is, be lucky you have spotted it this early and you will keep a full head of hair for a long time to come.

Yeah i think this is a great idea actually. That way i can be certain before i make any decisions. Where do i get a miniturisation test done? at the dermatologist?

confusedaboutthis

Reaction score
Sebastien said:
I dont think I see any signs of male pattern baldness and in your late 20's that is a very strong hairline. If I were you I wouldn't get on medication etc, just keep good track of it with photos every 3 months. Dont worry too much as your hair looks great. Due to your sudden loss, combined with your operations etc I lean towards Telogen Effluvium, I am no expert though. Good luck.

Thanks sebastien. I'm definitely going to keep track with photos as well as get a third opinion and miniturisation test completed.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
confusedaboutthis said:
Yeah i think this is a great idea actually. That way i can be certain before i make any decisions. Where do i get a miniturisation test done? at the dermatologist?

A dermatologist isn't going to have a miniaturization test, you'll have to see atransplant surgeon.

Keep in mind that a telogen effluvium would result in loss over the entire scalp, not just in the male pattern baldness region on top. If you are pulling excessive hair out of the permanent zone, you are probably experiencing telogen effluvium. But if the hair is coming strictly from the top, chances are you have male pattern baldness.

confusedaboutthis

Reaction score
timbo said:
confusedaboutthis said:

A dermatologist isn't going to have a miniaturization test, you'll have to see atransplant surgeon.

Keep in mind that a telogen effluvium would result in loss over the entire scalp, not just in the male pattern baldness region on top. If you are pulling excessive hair out of the permanent zone, you are probably experiencing telogen effluvium. But if the hair is coming strictly from the top, chances are you have male pattern baldness.

would a scalp biopsy from a dermatalogist be able to tell me anything?

infamous

Reaction score
No signs of hairloss. Your hair looks pretty good.

If you're nervous, keep your eyes on it. You can also go to a dermathologist.