Considering 3rd Transplant

loscott28

Reaction score
I had my first FUT transplant in Dec. 2011, approximately 3400 grafts. I had a second transplant a year later to cover the crown, ~1200 -- though the doctor was shooting for more. I'm not quite happy yet. I'm an actor, 33, and my hair is causing me a lot of issues in casting. I can actually do a pretty good job making it presentable with concealers, but it's an award conversation with casting and then if I get to that point with hair and makeup to tell them essentially what they have to do to make me look like I did in casting with hair building fibers all over my head. It's super stressful because I have to be worried about the roles -- will I need to lay down on a pillow? Are they expecting me to get wet? Can't do any of that.

I think the thing is, if it weren't for my career, I'd be okay with my hair as is. The concealers work pretty well for everyday situations. In fact, if it weren't for the transplant scar, I'd probably buzz my hair.

I started as a NW5, so I know I've got a good bit of coverage actually, all things considered. But I'm considering another transplant, FUE this time, to try and fill in the density. But I'm worried about spending another $15,000 and being disappointed in the results again. Any thoughts or advice? These aren't great pictures, and when my hair is freshly washed and blow dryer, it actually looks better than this. It's also a tad long at the moment.

IMG_2426.jpgIMG_2422.jpgIMG_2424.jpg

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any prior pictures before any of the transplants? I think Fred's idea was the best FUE + SMP but you gotta keep it short.

loscott28

Reaction score
Any prior pictures before any of the transplants? I think Fred's idea was the best FUE + SMP but you gotta keep it short.

I would have to do a lot more research on SMP -- I'm concerned about color and the pigment eventually bleeding. The technique is relatively new, yes?

One of my thoughts was to have enough FUE to attempt to fix the scar, which is not good (but not terrible) so I can go much shorter with my hair. My barber has said before he's already seen hair growing through the scar, not sure how that works.

I don't always have the luxury of keeping it short however as it boxes me into a type that's different from someone with a standard one to two inches. But I guess it would eliminate all the stresses I mentioned above. If they need my hair longer I'd have to just wear a wig which I wish I could just do day to day as it is.

I may have some old pictures from < 2010, but my head was razor-clean for about 3 years. I'll see if I can dig them up.

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve? A density that looks natural without concealers? Because I just don't see that happening, taking into account the fact that 4600 grafts have already been used. We are probably looking at another 5-6k grafts, which is unlikely to happen in just a single session at this point, if at all.

SMP, a hairsystem or just the good ol' acceptance is probably your best option at this point.