Considering hair transplant, need some suggestions

aj2008

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am 33 yr old. Baldness runs in my family, dad is bald. I have been on propecia/rogaine regimen since 2000. I initially started noticing diffused thinning at the top of my head . I started off with Rogaine in 1999 and added propecia in 2000.

I am happy that I am one of those who have seen great results in regrowth and retaining my loss. A lot of my friends who expected me to be fully bald are very really surprised to see me with a head full of hair years later.

Long story short...I am still on the same regiment..However since the past 1 year I am noticing that i am slowly thinning again..When i hold a mirror to the top of my head I can see some thinning. Its been about 8+ yrs since i have been on propecia/rogaine and am starting to think that the effect is probably slowly fading off for me and is not as effective as it was 3-4 yrs ago.

I am thinking of visiting an hair transplant surgeon and want to get some recommendations on Hair transplant(strip v/s FUE) and if im a good candidate.

I live in San Jose, California and would appreciate some recommendations on good hair transplant surgeons in and around my area.

Please suggest.

Thank you...

AJ

s.a.f

Reaction score
aj2008 said:
A lot of my friends who expected me to be fully bald are very really surprised to see me with a head full of hair years later.
AJ

Must be a good feeling!

Petchsky

Reaction score
Too right! I think some of my mates thought the same, i loved disappointing them!

AJ - Although your hairloss maybe catching up with you, the propecia will still be working in your favour, slowing your hairloss down to a slow crawl.

Do you have any pics so we can assess your situation? Firstly i recommend that you don't rush in to anything, take the next 12 months + to read up on hair transplants and get involved with all the forums you can. Hair transplant network has alot of finished results on there and i highly recommend it for researching H/T doctors and patient results.

You will find there are a good few top class doctors, but by doing your research and binding your time you will put yourself in a very favourable position, you will know which doctors are great and be educated enough not to make any silly mistakes.

Strip vs FUE is a big debate, not everyone is a good candidate for FUE and this is a technique yet to be perfected, strip has a higher yield of growth.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Just to add, don't try and chose a surgeon just because he's in your area, a transplant is for life and will be on display for everyone to see. I'd recommend at some point having some consultations, and not just one, but a few....this will help you gain some perspective.

aj2008

Reaction score
Thanks for your valuable inputs..hair transplant is just one of the thoughts that came to my mind...( i do want to avoid it as long as I can and have this only as a last resort)..Especially when i read scary stories/nightmares of bad hair transplant.

I was inclining towards surgeons in my area to avoid additional costs :-( (esp in these economy).
The max i can shell out for this is upto 8k.

I will probably research more and see how my progress is on my current regimen.

Will post some pics soon.You guys can probably also suggest if im even a candidate to consider hair transplant.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
aj2008 said:
Will post some pics soon.You guys can probably also suggest if im even a candidate to consider hair transplant.

Pix will be good. Hard to give advise without them.

bullitnut1

Reaction score
make sure you do plenty of research on all the forums and try to get as many consults as possible.
If its possible ask to meet patients too and as petchsky says dont go to a Doctor just cos hes in your area this could potentially be a life changing disaster best of luck dude