considering hair transplant

pyro16

Reaction score
hi, ive posted before asking for advice, but would like to really consider a hair transplant.

i was going to do the big 3, but after considering it, i dont think i want 2 start this, as ive read about people shedding, even though it grows back, i dont think i could shed any more, thats why ive gone hair transplant route.

im 23 years old, and i live in the UK. when i was 16/17 i receaded, possibly stress over exams, i dont know, but then it never did anything after that, but ive always hated it and covered it up.

last year, i had a fire accident at work, which singed my hair, mainly my hairline as i have spiky hair, my already receaded hairline, must of gone back a couple of milimeters, but seems a lot. so now im really gettin stressed over it, and really want it sorting.

although im only 23, and will be advised to wait, as my hairline can recead. but id rather have the next 10 years with a good hairline, and worry about future recesion, if and when it happens, but hopefully the propecia can prevent this from happening.

i cant chave my head, as i have probably the roundest head ever, and ill look like a ping pong ball.

i dont have any thinning on top or on the crown, its just my hairline.

what are the best options?
how many grafts will i need approx?
who is the best to go to?
how much would it cost?

the following pic is of my hair normal, it was recently cut a bit to short, but does look better when theres another half inch onto it.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/pyro16/hair transplant/CIMG0012.jpg

this is top view, so you can see the full hairline.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/pyro16/hair transplant/CIMG0010.jpg

this is side view, and is the same on other side.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/pyro16/hair transplant/CIMG0011.jpg

thanks for any help.

G

Pyro--- you really need to find out if Propecia works for you---6 months to 1 year preferably-- Then weigh your options--- A hair transplant will not halt the baldness train, especially with temporal thinning at 23--to the extent you have.

You could probably get away with 1200-1400 grafts to fill the "power alleys" in but I advise against lowering your temples too drastically-- in person consults would most likely be a good bet.

I would also advise against doing strip surgery and concentrate on a strategic fue session.

Dr. Feller is pretty active with the UK patients --- his representative Spex lives in the UK as well--- DEF advise you to meet up with him--- he'll help you regardless of which doctor your looking at.

Honestly, I recommend you start your search there--you'll get a real straight answer and treatment!

Do NOT get a hair transplant in the UK.

Take Care,
Jason

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Pyo,

BSpot is 100% in what he says, and I agree that it might be better for you to try propecia (finasteride) first for a while before considering a hair transplant, this way you could preserve or improve what you have.

Your hair is very much like mine when I was your age, I started to receed in my early teens, the progression has been slow over the years and I eventually had a hair transplant at 33.

And most of all, as BSpot has mentioned, do NOT even consider hair transplant in the UK, there are many great hair transplant doctors that will give you a very natural result, unfortunately none are in the UK and you will be very dissapointed

All the best

Lucky

s.a.f

Reaction score
pyro16 said:
i was going to do the big 3, but after considering it, i dont think i want 2 start this, as ive read about people shedding, even though it grows back, i dont think i could shed any more, thats why ive gone hair transplant route.
Trust me the big 3 is a much easier route to take than having a hair transplant. You're scared of the possibility of going through a temporary shed but not bothered about surgery? :freaked:
Post op hair transplant, is alot worse than any shed you could suffer.
Also without finasteride you could lose a huge degree of hair over the next 3/4/5 yrs that would make your hair transplant pointless.
And dont even think about using a UK clinic :crazy: .

antonio666

Reaction score
totally agree with what saf said,you must try propecia first,you never know it may inprove it.

however this is unlikley and may at best just slow the loss down,surgery is a risk but if you are unhappy now go ahead with it and i understand why you are intreasted in the next 10 years of your life because this is the period when your face will look its best,so having receded temples is not ideal,good luck with what you decide.

if you do go down the dht inhibotor route do not try dutasteride first always start with propecia as i really think avodart is not a good drug and can do damage

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Its all about the temples, it really is....Life is s-hit without a good hairline so I share your pain.

But dude you gotta go the meds route first, for at least one year as others above me have said. I think you might be amazed at the result, in some circumstances meds can give you back more hair than a hair transplant ever could! But primarily you need to be able to stablize your hairloss first so you dont lose anymore precious hair. Its really that simple. Once you're content your stable, then perhaps its the right time for a hair transplant.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
go look up follicular unit extraction on youtube and watch some surgeries - that is some stomach turning sh i t!

when you watch the videos you realize jut how brutal a procedure hair transplanting is....

metalheaddude

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
go look up follicular unit extraction on youtube and watch some surgeries - that is some stomach turning sh i t!

when you watch the videos you realize jut how brutal a procedure hair transplanting is....

No doubt. Its quite freightning actually. I'll just keep trying to talk myself into it, until eventually I get the courage.

pmill

Reaction score
hey u should deff get on the medications if your hairline is receding fast,,but you said ur crown is not thinning so sometimes people just recede in the temples and the rest of their hair stays thick and some people recede in the temples and then it just stops receding so maybe u could get away with getting a transplant or a fue procdure done without the meds but its always safer to be on them,,also about the fue and hair transplants ive heard from many that the fue procedure is deff not as painful as the transplant because there not slicing your head open and sewing you back up but even in todays world with some great doctors out there even if you choose to go the transplant way they will make the procedure relativley painless..ofcourse after the surgery u will have some pain and discomfort..thats why i would go the fue way its alot less painful and faster healing time..alot of these guys have no balls and are scared to go get one..im just so sick of these balding negative people that try to drag everyone down with them because they dont have the courage for this..dont listen to them..you know best and do what will make you happy and go for it,but just know that if you do get one and u recede more many years later then you might have to go back in the future for more work..but if you care about your appearance and this bothers you then go for it.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
pyro16 said:

Exactly. I am 105 days post-op and although hair is coming in now, it is not thick enough to even mildly conceal any bald or thinning areas. And with the donor scar you have to forget the idea of trimming it close to cover up thinning. I'll have to wait at least two-three more months before I start seeing appreciable results.

pyro16

Reaction score
dd11856 said:
s.a.f said:
pyro16 said:

Exactly. I am 105 days post-op and although hair is coming in now, it is not thick enough to even mildly conceal any bald or thinning areas. And with the donor scar you have to forget the idea of trimming it close to cover up thinning. I'll have to wait at least two-three more months before I start seeing appreciable results.

what type of transplant did u have?

s.a.f

Reaction score
pyro16 said:
what type of transplant did u have?
I had strip which is worse than FUE but with either its almost impossible to disguise for weeks post op. Scabbing, redness, shaving down.

pyro16

Reaction score
i was under the impression that with strip, the scar, and the places where the hair is added can be covered up by existing hair, and with FUE, the head needs to be shaved?

s.a.f

Reaction score
If the strip taken is say 1.5cm thick they will shave an area about 2cm and take it from there. You'd need to have hair at least 1 inch long to try to cover up the scar. The scar will be very red and you'll have stitches/staples in for at least 11 days. So if your hair is shorter you'll looking at at least a couple of weeks where it will be highly visable.

pyro16

Reaction score
right, i think that suits me more, as i have my hair over an inch long, and is thick neway.

i was thinkin doing this in a couple of years, as ill have the money then from a bonous payout which is due then, and i can get time of work.

if it continues to recead then i may consider doing it sooner.

i think ill have 2 get on propecia, but what side effects does that have, and can it cause any shedding?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pyro, this is a good idea, this will give the meds some time to kick in and you may see some improvement over the next year or so.

As for shedding, I notice I seem to shed in phases but it doesn't seem to affect the density that much, others will say differently but it is worth a go at the very least and hopefully you will be a responder.

All the best

Lucky.

pyro16

Reaction score
the only thing im worried about with the shedding is if other people notice, how easy is it to notice when this happens?

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Well your hairline is pretty high, But like mine when it's all combed and sh*t, you can cover up your hairloss pretty good. Unless you have a massive shed I think at your current level of hairloss it still wouldn't be noticeable.

The only time I ever shed on propecia was when it caused my head to itch, mainly my hairline, I would itch and scratch, Lost like 30 hairs because of it, so it caused an indirect shed for me.

pyro16

Reaction score
ok, im off on holiday soon, but ill start after that, ill start on propecia only, and see what happens, after a few months, then i may start 2 introduce the other 2 from the big 3. is this ok?