Considering Transplant..Only 20

WS6-TA

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been receding since i was about 16. Now I have very receded temples, 1 inch of poor hairline and am beginning to thin in the frontal region. Even if i go the on the maintaining treatments (finasteride, minoxidil) I willl never be able to be happy with my hair. That is why i am considering a transplant: to close temples, restore a decent hairline and add density to frontal region. I have had a consultation with Dr Antonio Alvi and he said that 2500 grafts will be enough to give me a decent look. I may also check out Dr Seager I have heard good things about him. Both Dr's are in my city Toronto.

I know most people say to wait until you are older for a transplant, but it is the only option for me...I dont care about when im 30. I am young now and want to LIVE my life. Balding in your 20's is very depressing.

As of now I am getting a transplant sometime in September.

I will also start propecia and minoxidil .

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What did the doctor tell you about the possibility that you may still bald? What if that happens? Will you have to have more transplants to keep up with your hairloss? Keep that in mind. Im considering the same thing. I have been on Propecia a little over 3 months. I am going to wait until month 6 and if I dont see any more recesion Im going to have a transplant done to close my temples in. I dont think I need 2500 grafts maybe about 1000. Anyways, good luck.

Tony

fifty

Established Member
Reaction score
WS6,

20 is a little young but I guess I shouldn't talk cause I'm just 24. If you're really unhappy about your hair, go ahead and do it. I'd talk to Dr. Shapiro's office. If you send them pics and set up a phone meeting, they'll answer all your questions and tell you everything you ever wanted to know. Even though I went with Alvi I found Shapiro to be the most helpful & easy to communicate with.

Also, make sure you're ready to commit to propecia and rogaine for life (at least propecia). If you're not gonna stay on propecia for a long time, I would strongly recommend you NOT get a transplant at this time.

WS6-TA

Established Member
Reaction score
I have already talked with Alvi, and have set up a consultation. He is located about 45 minutes for me so thats good. I am planning on going on propecia for at least 6 months before getting a transplant. hopefully it will thicken up and maintain my hair so i can have the hairline and temples done. If i continue to bald i will have to get another taransplant
fifty: What is sharpiro's e-mail. I want to send him pics to get some other opinions.
thanks

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
"I dont care about when im 30"

Yes you will. I am 30 and I am still a very young man with young friends and a rich lifestyle. I am not a fossilized trilobite....Yet.

Point is, I would shudder at the thought of having to pray to maintain hair that is receeding and thinning behind my plugs that I got ten years ago with a scarred up, used up donor area. Think about it.

You're hosed. No way around it. Get on the regimen stat and cross your fingers. You will probably maintain and regrow. Maybe within several years our nerdy friends will give us a cure.

You're too young and losing hair much too aggressively for a transplant. You'll regret it later SO MUCH because 30, as you so casually dismiss it, is an age you will still want to enjoy.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Ideally speaking the majority of 30 year olds are established in the sense that they have careers, a wife, and possibly kids. If i was going bald at age 30 married with kids I would not be as concerned about hair loss as I am right now at age 21. A lot of adults can't comprehend the psychological trauma caused by early hair loss in young men.

I am also considering a hair transplant in the next year. By the time I'm 30 it seems surgical procedures will be significantly more advanced and if not body hair is always available as a donor supply.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys dont get a tranplant if you are very young as youre hair loss will likey be very heavy before it stablizes nw6 or 7 and you will be vey lucky to have the doner hair to give good coverage on the top
give it a few years maybe there will be better drugs and tranplants are getting better all the time

be patient try the drugs we have now, youre hair never looks as bad as you think( i was looking at old photos of when i start balding and my hair still looked great, I just wish i new that then)
just have a look around at the guys with who are a nw7 execept for 200 hair on the hair line
i would rather be total bald then that

eastend

Reaction score
Basketballhead said:
Ideally speaking the majority of 30 year olds are established in the sense that they have careers, a wife, and possibly kids. If i was going bald at age 30 married with kids I would not be as concerned about hair loss as I am right now at age 21. A lot of adults can't comprehend the psychological trauma caused by early hair loss in young men.
This is only part of the story. I completely sympathize with how bad it is to lose hair in your early 20's, but do NOT make the mistake of thinking you won't care when you're 30 how you look. Even IF you have a hot wife and a couple of beautiful kids, your views on being in your 30s are way short sighted. Trust me, when you want to climb that corporate ladder your looks are going to matter. When you want to go to a social event, your looks are going to matter.

Young guys think that they need their hair in their 20s basically because they think they'll never get a girl otherwise and because their friends have great hair so they feel self conscious. Just remember your 20s are only 10 years of your life, and you have another 5-6-7 decades to go. Your looks are important in all of them, ESPECIALLY your 30s and 40s. Ever seen a really ugly CEO? Or a really ugly elected head of state?

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
At 21 you're out poking every bit of tail you can and you may still be thinking that as you approach 30. I'm 27 now and believe me 30 is not far away....

You will miss your hair even more at age 30 if you're single, unmarried and balding intensely.

Balding is a major cause of depression for us gents in our 20's. Having to check your hair 5 times before you go out and avoid standing under bright lights is a joke. Take any necessary steps available.

27/not married/involved with a woman/

twmajors

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 26 and started losing my hair when I was 19. It was completely and utterly devastating. I had very fine blonde hair that accented my face in a way that girls hit on me all the friggin time. I loved it. No one can understand how hard it is, I considered a transplant from MHR, and then something very nice happened - I shaved my head. I was embarassed at first and then started to slowly accept who I was. Part of maturing is realizing the impermanance of beauty.
Now, I have a shaved head and a wonderful girlfriend. Girls still hit on me because I got something back more important than hair - confidence.
Good luck on your road to self-acceptance.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
It is interesting to see how much you "kids" think it won't matter to you if you are bald when you are older (like an elderly man of 30).

I'm 54, and I can assure you I do not want to be bald now, or ever. So kiddies, ask yourselfs every 10 years, am a ready to go bald now ???

antonio666

Reaction score
ok ,you guys are advising him not to get a transplant but what is he meant to do just go bald and be happy,i am a norwood 2 and diffuse and it has ruined my life,now i only noticed that i was balding 18 months ago and now i have very little hair left and 18 months ago my hair was awesome so i know how hard this can be,by the way to start losin at 20 sucks,i started losin at 26 and i know i have been hard done by ,but what ever you decide good luck

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread is from four years ago.

I'd actually be curious as to what has every happened with him. Gotta love these "I won't care about my looks anymore when I'm 30" cases.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re:

eastend said:
Basketballhead said:
This is only part of the story. I completely sympathize with how bad it is to lose hair in your early 20's, but do NOT make the mistake of thinking you won't care when you're 30 how you look. Even IF you have a hot wife and a couple of beautiful kids, your views on being in your 30s are way short sighted. Trust me, when you want to climb that corporate ladder your looks are going to matter. When you want to go to a social event, your looks are going to matter.

Young guys think that they need their hair in their 20s basically because they think they'll never get a girl otherwise and because their friends have great hair so they feel self conscious. Just remember your 20s are only 10 years of your life, and you have another 5-6-7 decades to go. Your looks are important in all of them, ESPECIALLY your 30s and 40s. Ever seen a really ugly CEO? Or a really ugly elected head of state?

I can't agree more, appearance definitely plays a big role in the coporation, it seems to me that certain VP and directors only hire good looking staff.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Re:

RaginDemon said:
eastend said:
Basketballhead said:

I can't agree more, appearance definitely plays a big role in the coporation, it seems to me that certain VP and directors only hire good looking staff.

The main reason I chose to start the hair transplant route was due to my career. I am in lower-management now and do well financially - not great, but well. However, I feel I need to appear more confident to help get another boost to continue moving up. From what I've seen, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a nice appearance.