Consult with Dr. Cooley

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I have scheduled a consult with Dr. Cooley in Charlotte, NC to discuss what for me would be a second hair transplant. I am looking to do this sometime early next year as my previous hair transplant was in early January.

My focus on the second hair transplant will be the crown, which is pretty thin. I will be planning on another strip session and hope to get as much bang for the buck as I can at one time.

I also want to look into having scar excision done at the some time and see if Dr. Cooley can remove the current strip scar along with the donor strip during the hair transplant. The reason for this is that my strip scar is pretty wide on the left side and is pretty obvious even at about a 1/2 inch of hair growth. :(

I will update you folks after my visit.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
This is exactly why I would never do strip...

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support!

Of course, after several thousand FUE incisions the donor region will look perfect, huh?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean any offence :)

Who was your previous hair transplant with?

Im sure it will turn out well..Good luck :)

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Had my consultation with Dr. Cooley Friday. I spent a lot of time talking with both he and Ailene. I want to do my crown next and Dr. Cooley recommended filling in the hairline and front a little more as well. Dr. Cooley did mention that he wasn't crazy about doing crown work on a patient my age (30) in case I suffered further advanced hair loss around the grafted area. He mentioned that although this session wouldn't "tap me out" of donor supply, that possibly one more large session could. Thus he doesn't want to really make the crown thick right now. He showed me samples of what he wanted, which looked good to me and provided good coverage.

Now I am just trying to decide on how many grafts I want to do and how I want to pay. I am leaning to 2500 grafts, 1500 in the crown and the remaining 1000 in the hairline and front. I may do as many as 3000, though. I also am trying to decide whether to pay cash, finance, or do a partial cash/finance deal. I really don't want to pay cash because that will really deplete my savings right now, but I don't want to do a full finance either.

I am looking to January/February to do this. That will make the results of my first session final and should give me a good idea of how that went. Hopefully after roughly 5000 grafts I'll have a good head of hair again. I knew before my first procedure it would not be a one and done scenario, but this is a caution to those of you who are borderline on whether to do this or not. It is a very big commitment. I am probably going to have 5000 grafts, roughly $20,000, and two years tied-up in this before I really see results I like. Hair transplants are truly not a quick fix. Also, I am already thinking about doing FUE into my donor scar in the future, although Dr. Cooley believes he can reduce and improve my current scarring, which is pretty wide on the left side. If you think you'd be happier just buzzing your noggin,' that can't be a bad thing!