Consult with Shapiro Medical Group

TheBigThree

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ok so I've been using Rogaine and have been taking Propecia for exactly 2 years now and so far so good but I decided to have an hair transplant just to fill in my temples a little bit. I called the Shapiro office today and had a consult with Matt and I'd just like to say the impression that I was left with was that they really care more about making the patient happy rather than making money. Matt explained to me everything about the whole process as well as about the importance of being a little bit more conservative with my hairline due to my age (I'm 25). They only do 1 patient per day and only do between 600-800 grafts per day. This is to ensure that the staff is well rested when working to give the patient the best service they can. If you're coming from out of state or out of country the price for FUE is $6 per graft, and for strip it's $4.5 per graft.

I can't tell you how happy I am about doing this soon because I've been so depressed the past few years and my self esteem has been at an all time low, all because of hair loss. I'm confident I will be in the right hands, they have the reputation for being among the best and they definitely don't seem like they're out for your money. Hair loss sucks but wish me luck guys and I wish everyone here the best too I know how hard this can be for some of us and the impact it can have on our lives. Hang in there!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You are making a wise choice with SMG, I consulted with Matt too and he is as honest as you can get. The Shapiro brothers have natural looking clean results. If I ever get one, I would be torn between them and Rahal now that both offer FUE. I think they both create the best hairlines but Shapiro does not require you to shave the recipient area if you have less than 2000 FUEs which is a big plus but since you have to shave the donor anyway it might not matter.

TheBigThree

Reaction score
Thanks DH,

Yea, Matt's a good guy and honest like you said. I am also thinking about consulting with Rahal because his hairlines are really amazing. Do you know what his rates are? And do his hairlines come out the way they do because he packs many more grafts into one area than Shapiro does? I know Shapiro does some of the most natural looking hairlines, but Rahal just seems to really make them nice and thick. But then again, that's kind of what Matt talked to me about, trying to be conservative because at my age and they don't know how many more grafts I'll need to fill in other areas if need be.

As far as the form of the procedure goes, Matt talked to me about advantages and disadvantages of both, but basically said strip would be the way to go because of their higher survival rate (>95-100%) as opposed to FUE (75-100%) and that they can extract more hair from strip than FUE, all among other things. We did talk about the scar that it'd leave and he felt I really shouldn't be that concerned about it because of the ability to do an FUE transplant into that. He also mentioned some technique that they do when they stitch the skin closed and how they overlap it so the hair grows right over it and is not seen. Now I am just split between strip and FUE but I think I will go with FUE and see how it goes.