Cook's story (19 and starting the fight)

Cook

Reaction score
hi,i had been browsing forums since i discovered my hair sheding about 1.5 years ago.The people on this forum seem to be very knowledgeable about hair loss, and i belive i am in need of help.i ain't sure if i have standard male pattern baldness.my dad has great hair ,even though his brother is bald ..but he alsow has dark hair unlike me and my father so im not sure we got the same genetics, and my mother's parents & family tree dont seem to have it either.
i first discovered i have a problem when while ,,scratching'' my hair on top of a paper for 30 secounds i find about 10 to 15 hairs, probably more than i should.
I still shed hairs but not always.Ex.:i might get 10 hairs everytime i touch my hair for one day,and 3-4 or less the other 3 days etc.
I was close to starting finasteride 2 weeks ago,but then backed out because i thought i should wait a few more years before completly blocking DHT conversion.

The pattern in wich my male pattern baldness is progressing is a little strange.My right side is the more affected one, but the temple hairs seem to be ok,wich suggests it isn't male pattern baldness,but then i have miniaturized hairs ,so i guess DHT is the problem.
Few pics:
[attachment=2:1xevx6nt]110415_122000.jpg[/attachment:1xevx6nt]
[attachment=1:1xevx6nt]110415_122109.jpg[/attachment:1xevx6nt]
[attachment=0:1xevx6nt]1.jpg[/attachment:1xevx6nt]

Any help regarding a aproach that i might take here would be awsome.Im not against finasteride , so if you guys would say that's the best i will take it!
my plan at the time is to make my spironolactone cream in order to prevent the scalp dht but still have some in my body.that + nizoral and alpecin(wich i guess its useless but it gives a refreshing vibe and the coffein is supposed to help a little)

Sry for the wall of text and bad english ,I will post updates and keep track of my hair loss here.My main goal is to maintain what i have,but if i can thicken up my hair a little and even regrow some that would be awsome !

Attachments

• 110415_122000.jpg
    110415_122000.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 110415_122109.jpg
    110415_122109.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 250

Cook

Reaction score
guys , please tell me what line should i take:
-minoxidil alone (it's a small portion i would apply the foam to ,and hopefully it can slow down the deterioration of my hair loss untill i decide to get on finasteride in a few years, but im not sure it can do that)
-spironolactone cream ( no idea how /were to order it from , but i saw some topics were they were making theyr own s5 cream w crushed pills and not getting any in theyr sistem,so i might take that route )
-spironolactone + minoxidil (adding a blocker so my new minoxidil hair won't be affected by dht and be unrecoverable (again not sure if this is true ))
-finasteride alone (not sure i want to block all my DhT yet , but if it's what i have to do in order to save my hair ,i would take the risk:( ,unless there are other stuff i can do at least to postpone finasteride for a few more years w/o advancing in Norwood's )
Please pitch in and give me a resonable solution ! thx
:dunno:

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
As your hair is rather fine for now, start with low concentrate of minoxidil and some biotin vitamins... I wouldn't recommend getting on finasteride at your age...

takenick

Reaction score
You could start finasteride. Otherwise you might be a diffuse N2 in a year, like me. Your hair looks good. Try to save it. minoxidil alone will make it shed then grow back but it won't stop hairloss progression.

twhacker888

Reaction score
Michael84 said:
As your hair is rather fine for now, start with low concentrate of minoxidil and some biotin vitamins... I wouldn't recommend getting on finasteride at your age...

At what age would you say is safe to start using finasteride?

EffBalding

Reaction score
DO NOT START finasteride, trust me. Your hair is very thick. You can use minoxidil on your hairline ONLY, but don't start finasteride. I had hair like yours thinking I was balding and I got on finasteride and have been on a non-stop shed and now my hair is thinner than ever and all my hairs are kinked (and I'm only a few months into 20 years old). Don't mess with your hormones, your hair is fine. I would do minoxidil on the hairline but it just seems you have a maturing hairline, kind of hard to tell considering your hair is very short. Start finasteride when you are desperate and are losing hair in other places besides hairline.

Cook

Reaction score
hmm,i dont think finasteride can have a negative effect on hairloss,unless Telogen Effluvium.people go through sheds but after those the hair recoveres(hope your's goes back to baseline/above it... gl ! )
The only problem is i dont know if i want to block DHT yet.But if i want to maintain what i have it's the best solution.My main question is if i could start w some topicals and mby add minoxidil(im not sure i want to do this too,because it's a life long comitment for something i probably dont need just yet) for a few more years w/o advancing in Norwood's (+ my hairloss is diffuse,but it's not noticeble yet,and it's not that agressive).If i could grew my miniaturized hairs back to normal i would probably get close to a 0.5 Norwood from a 1+ or w/e i am now.Also im loosing some tickness in the hairline,can't style hair like i was able to last year if i let it grow as long as then.

Thx for the replies guys, so we have 2 for finasteride , 2 vs finasteride , 1 for minoxidil , 0 for spironolactone :lost:

Cook

Reaction score
Hi. after 1 year of randomly browsing the forums , checking alot of the storys and trying to delay the inevitable (jumping on finasteride) i finally decided to take the plunge.I am now taking proscar cut into 6 pieces for 1 week.
I am side effect-free.So my questions are :
-can sides appear at the 1 month mark or something similar:?is it too early to tell?
-the pill cut into 6 is really small and im losing some of its white powder while cutting also,is the dosage not enough to actualy block dht and that's why i dont feel anything diff?
-i usualy take it with soda or water,can it disolve (being small and all) before actually being absorbed into my sistem?
Overall i did lose some of my right temple by waiting 1 year,but if i keep what i have no 1 will ever tell im loosing hairs.Problem is my hair got a little thin on the hairline ,esp on one of my sides.Does finasteride Thickening work for hairlines?
thx. :punk:

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
there are plenty of people who's hair-line gets thicker with finasteride; there is a good chance the same will happen to u.
and please don't be surprised if you take finasteride and are completely side effect free. i'm not too sure about the soda water part; i haven't read of anyone doing that.

goodluck with finasteride

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Cook said:
-can sides appear at the 1 month mark or something similar:?is it too early to tell?
I don't think so, I guess if you are lucky enough not to get 'em during the first week or two you should be good.

Cook said:
-the pill cut into 6 is really small and im losing some of its white powder while cutting also,is the dosage not enough to actualy block dht and that's why i dont feel anything diff?
I've been only 0.5mg/day for a bit over 4 months now... No sides and I don't feel different but it doesn't mean that finasteride isn't working.

Cook said:
-i usualy take it with soda or water,can it disolve (being small and all) before actually being absorbed into my sistem?
As far as I know it shouldn't matter with what you take it.

Cook said:
Does finasteride Thickening work for hairlines?
thx.

Yes! finasteride and minoxidil will do wonders!

And to prove my comments... My story so far. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69764

And you should also check Zeroheat's story
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56072

Cook

Reaction score
still no sides,mby a little ball ache but i sometimes got that before finasteride so ..yeah pretty much side free.. im not even sure im on the real stuff:|
Still taking a <1mg dosage,but i read that it blocks out about the same as 1.25 dosage does .Guess there's no way of finding out.My hair seems about the same,a little thinner,i think i just have to give it time :shakehead: