Counting hairs...

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys that say "I found 300 hairs in my shower drain"
Are you actually counting each hair? Doesn't that take a long time, and isn't that very depressing?

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
I personally estimate because its impossible to count each hair that falls out during the day. You could get a hair net you wear during the shower ( it looks like a hair net worn at restaurants but not the same) and it collects the hair. I wouldn't reccomend it though, it would be too depressing for me.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
It may be a bit obsessive-compulsive, but I count 'em after the shower every day---including what I find on the towel and in the sink after blow drying. It seems my daily loss is much higher than most people's around here. It goes up and down, but it always stays consistently at a nearly exact number for a few months at a time. Currently, that number is about 120. At the lowest, it's 70, the highest, 150+. (Figuring that I can't catch every hair, I always add 20 to the total amount I was able to find.) What I can't quite understand is why this very high fallout rate (compared to others' shower tolls) hasn't rendered me spear bald by now. In fact, I have trouble convincing most people that I have a problem at all. My unscientific hypothesis is that I have a very short resting phase---i.e. very rapid replacement rate.

But then, I thought one of the main characteristics of male pattern baldness was longer resting phases? I dunno.....

You're probably better off not counting 'em like me. It's a hang-up I can't seem to get over. (Much like the idea of holding onto my hair).