Crown thinning, redness, and derm wants scalp biopsy

heyvinny

Reaction score
Hello

25 yr old male
Over the past two years I've noticed my hair thinning around my crown. My barber once said that I have two cowlicks. But over the past 8 months the loss has gotten bad. I now have to buzz my hair in order to hide it every few weeks. Even when it grows out, it's very obvious that my hair is very thin in my crown now.

Twice a month or so I get a lot of patchy redness around my crown and back of head. I've also been dealing with real bad itching for the past year, and I've noticed "pimple" like things on my head. When ever I scratch, I find white/tan like substances I've concluded is sebum. I also get a painful, inflammatory like feeling toward my crown area. I have also noticed that 75% of the hairs that fall out have a white bulb toward the end (telogen phase) and are varied in size but some are small in width.

So far, I've tried to combat this by taking Nizoral 1% and Pura d'Or every alternating every other day. Also have been taking Biotin 10000 mcg for the 8 months and Magnesium & zinc.

I went to my general Doctor for the hair loss and all the above, he said that its male pattern baldness without looking at me. So I went to a derm, and she looked and is fairly certain it's male pattern baldness but she's worried about the redness, etc and wants to do a scalp biopsy. They also want to do blood tests. I was prescribed 5mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil for now.

Has anyone done a scalp/hair biopsy and can provide input?
Is the redness, itching, pain basically male pattern baldness, or can there be another cause?
Can taking Magnesium and zinc increase testosterone therefore increase DHT therefore causing hair loss?
Anything in specific I should make sure the derm checks with the blood test?

Thank you all for your time with this. :confused:

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Pimples suggest folliculitis, but it could also be simple seborrheic dermatitis.
Either way : ciclopirox olamine, zinc pyrithione, salicylic acid, coal tar and ketoconazole shampoo (okay you've got this one) or lotion at night. Alternate between different products if you don't get satisfying results with one.
Corticosteroids like mometasone fuorate can also be used, of course talk about your dermatologist about this.

And eat healthy food with low sugar and low fat.

heyvinny

Reaction score
Pimples suggest folliculitis, but it could also be simple seborrheic dermatitis.
Either way : ciclopirox olamine, zinc pyrithione, salicylic acid, coal tar and ketoconazole shampoo (okay you've got this one) or lotion at night. Alternate between different products if you don't get satisfying results with one.
Corticosteroids like mometasone fuorate can also be used, of course talk about your dermatologist about this.

And eat healthy food with low sugar and low fat.

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about seborrheic dermatitis, and originally before Nizoral I've been taking T gel. It definitely helped a LOT with the itchiness, pimples, etc, but I still noticed the thinning. I was only on the T gel for a few months, do you think I should have tried it for longer say 6 months or a year to notice anything? If it is SD, will my hair grow back?

Thanks again Vlatch

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've thought about seborrheic dermatitis, and originally before Nizoral I've been taking T gel. It definitely helped a LOT with the itchiness, pimples, etc, but I still noticed the thinning. I was only on the T gel for a few months, do you think I should have tried it for longer say 6 months or a year to notice anything? If it is SD, will my hair grow back?

Thanks again Vlatch

That's the million dollar question. I have been using keto and zin pyrithione and I think my seb derm got worse but I think it's being caused by the cold and the dry air instead of just a regular flare up. No one knows if it will regrow with or without minoxidil but if it's male pattern baldness the odds are ****. I can tell you that fixing the problem will do nothing but increase your odds.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil lotion is not very good for seborrheic dermatitis. Pure jojoba oil can be useful.

I have also two cowlicks, a good "terrain" for hairloss.

heyvinny

Reaction score
minoxidil lotion is not very good for seborrheic dermatitis. Pure jojoba oil can be useful.

I have also two cowlicks, a good "terrain" for hairloss.

How so? And how would one go about applying the oil? Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think a scalp biopsy is necessary to determine if one has SD or anything else?

heyvinny

Reaction score
**** Bump
Anyone have any experience with a scalp biopsy? I'm due to have one. Thanks everyone