curcumin

CCS

Reaction score
curcumin may be a treatment for hairloss, both internally and topically, according to what docj077 found. But check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin

Curcumin has devastating effects on healthy human cells. A study done by Kelly et al. (2001) in the journal of Mutation Research, proves that curcumin has prooxidant activity based on its effects on the DNA pattern achieved by alkaline gel electrophoresis. However, the undesired effects of curcumin can be suppressed by the lipophilic antioxidant, α-tocopherol.

Asian curcumin may be toxic, not for the curcumin itself, but because of heavy metal, insecticide, herbicide and fungicide content. Those looking to curcumin for its admitted good effects may get unwelcome toxic companions from so-called "natural curcumin."

CCS

Reaction score
green tea extract is a source of curcumin, though I don't know how much. Is most green tea in the US grown here? They better not spray the leaves with pesticides if we are going to brew them.

docj077

Reaction score
So, do you think it's better to use the processed extract form or buy it from a grocery store that cells it in cubes or however it comes.

It's a weird compound, because it inhibits antioxidant affects on cells while also damaging DNA.

So, I don't know where to go with this. Do you think it's still safe to take it? I know that it blocks TGF-beta and it seems as though TGF-beta is responsible for the male pattern baldness process. I just don't know how safe it is to take massive amounts of it.

I've been taking it for almost a month now and I feel great both mentally and physically. My fatigue has vanished and I'm finally able to concentrate again, which was an ability I lost while I was on 1.25mg of propecia per day.

I've read nothing but good things about it and millions of people obviously take curcumin in the form of curry.

Curcumin is discussed as an anti-cancer and anti-gynocomastia compound which can be used with certain cancer drugs to give a better overall anti-cancer response.

It seems healthy and it seems beneficial. I just want to know if people get cancer from taking it. I've looked on the internet and I've found absolutely nothing about it causing cancer in a human being.

In colon cancer, arthritis, and melanoma, curcumin has only shown beneficial effects. However, in people getting treated for breast cancer, it inhibits the effects of the cancer drugs that area used.

Could it be a double edged sword? Maybe.

CCS

Reaction score
the article did say it is safe as long as you take vitamin E. I don't know. I was hoping you'd know the answer to that. I'll research it later, after I take my tests on thursday and friday.

docj077

Reaction score
CCS,

If you're really worried about using curcumin, this website might calm your fears a little bit. The studies I've seen say the same thing as this article. The reason you don't use curcumin if you have breast cancer is that drugs that target the estrogen receptor will be prevented from binding because curcumin is after the same target.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2002/jul2002_report_curcumin_01.html [/url]