Curly2bald's story - (26 years old and starting treatments)

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!! First I just want to let you know that I'm french canadian so I'll try my best to write in the best english I can but sometimes I'll probably have to explain stuff in my own words instead of using specific terms I don't know...

So here is my story...in summer 2001 I noticed I was starting to loose hair, on the Norwood Scale it was probably a 2 or even less. I went to see my dermotologist and he gave me a prescription for propecia. I kept a close eye on my hair and after a few months I noticed my hair wasn't falling out anymore.:) I maintained that situation for a few years.

Fast forward around 2004-2005, my hair started falling off again but at a very slow rate. I noticed I could see a little more skin in the corner of my forehead but it didn't bother me too much.

Now in may 2007(I'm 26yo now) my hair started thinning at an insanely fast rate.:(:( I pass my fingers thru my hair after the gym I'll have 7-10+ hair on my hand...I comb my hair after taking a shower and there is 15-20 hair on my comb, I find hair everywhere. :cry:

I immidiately took an appointment with my dermalogist but since we have a very crappy health system here I won't be able to see him untill november 7th. So a few weeks went by before I decided to search the net for some info, that's when I found this forum. After reading a little I went out and bought some nizoral 2%, I've been using it since mid july twice a week(is that too much?), it didn't do anything for my problem yet but I've always had a dry scalp and it got rid of 90% of that problem so I guess it's worth it.

Anything else I should do/use?

The only luck I have is that since I have curly hair that I keep a few inches long I can style it in such a way that people don't notice that I have very thin hair...some guy even told me the other day "it must be hot to have that much hair on a day like today"..."kinda". :hairy:

I haven't been swimming this summer and I probably won't, when my hair is wet you can see my scalp everywhere on top of my head.:(

I'm glad I found some people to talk about this. 8)

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Not looking so great

Curly2bald said:
Hi guys!! First I just want to let you know that I'm french canadian so I'll try my best to write in the best english I can but sometimes I'll probably have to explain stuff in my own words instead of using specific terms I don't know...

I immidiately took an appointment with my dermalogist but since we have a very crappy health system here I won't be able to see him untill november 7th. So a few weeks went by before I decided to search the net for some info, that's when I found this forum. After reading a little I went out and bought some nizoral 2%, I've been using it since mid july twice a week(is that too much?), it didn't do anything for my problem yet but I've always had a dry scalp and it got rid of 90% of that problem so I guess it's worth it.

Anything else I should do/use?

I'm glad I found some people to talk about this. 8)

First off, propecia can only slow down the process. Sometimes this is to a point where it's to a trickle, but sometimes it's not enough. It appears in your case, it's not enough.

Using Nizoral 2% twice a week is fine. It's a mild anti-androgen, but if it helps you for your dry-scalp, keep using it... even if it doesn't help your hair loss.

As for your problems with getting an appointment, I thought Michael Moore said nothing was wrong! No waiting in line! AhhhH! Deceptive documentaries again! Damn you, Michael Moore!

So, you could do several things to help your hair loss. You can add topical anti-androgens like topical spironolactone (NOT ORAL), add minoxidil (won't help the root problem), or add a stronger oral DHT-inhibitor like dutasteride. It's up to you. Like with the propecia, you may get side effects.

Good luck.

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year I asked my dermatologist about going on a stronger DHT-inhibitor like proscar 5mg(cut in 1/2 so 2.5mg) to slow down my hair loss but he wasn't confortable with this prescription because of the side effects, even if I have no problems with my propecia 1mg. The other great thing about it is that I could cut the pill in half and instead of 60$/month for propecia this would cost me about 15$/month...I'll have to ask him again about it. I was also wondering, are all Finasteride products the same?

I think my next step would be to ask for some minoxidil(rogaine), after reading some more it seems like alot of users here beleive in that product.

I'll have to do some more reading on spironolactone(Spironolactone I guess), I really have no clue of what this is for now.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Curly2bald said:
Last year I asked my dermatologist about going on a stronger DHT-inhibitor like proscar 5mg(cut in 1/2 so 2.5mg) to slow down my hair loss but he wasn't confortable with this prescription because of the side effects, even if I have no problems with my propecia 1mg. The other great thing about it is that I could cut the pill in half and instead of 60$/month for propecia this would cost me about 15$/month...I'll have to ask him again about it. I was also wondering, are all Finasteride products the same?

I think my next step would be to ask for some minoxidil(rogaine), after reading some more it seems like alot of users here beleive in that product.

I'll have to do some more reading on spironolactone(Spironolactone I guess), I really have no clue of what this is for now.

dutasteride is another option

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Curly2bald said:

You probably won't find many doctors willing to give you a prescription for Avodart (dutasteride) for your hair loss. AFAIK Avodart has not been approved for hair loss. Proscar is finasteride.

Most doctors will put "for hair loss" and this will negate any help from insurance. Doctors who don't put "for hair loss" are generally considered as unethical. If you take 2.5mg finasteride, you're not getting much more benefits and only increasing your chances for side effects.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Get some Rog on that head of yours and smile. :boom:

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
So my next step will be rogaine!!

I was sure that they sold it under prescription only in canada but from the site rogainecanada.com it seems like I don't need a prescription to buy the stuff.:) I'll go buy some after the weekend at my local pharmacy unless it's alot more expensive than online. Considering I've been using nizoral for less than a month should I wait a little longer for side effects or I should get on rogaine asap?

I'll read about the rest of the products but I think I'll also pick up some toppik in case of a bad hair day.

As far as insurance goes I don't have any so that doesn't really affect me.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Curly2bald said:
So my next step will be rogaine!!

I was sure that they sold it under prescription only in canada but from the site rogainecanada.com it seems like I don't need a prescription to buy the stuff.:) I'll go buy some after the weekend at my local pharmacy unless it's alot more expensive than online. Considering I've been using nizoral for less than a month should I wait a little longer for side effects or I should get on rogaine asap?

I'll read about the rest of the products but I think I'll also pick up some toppik in case of a bad hair day.

As far as insurance goes I don't have any so that doesn't really affect me.

you can start foam ASAP

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
My foam should be in the mail by now...

I had my first low shed day in months yesterday: I washed my hair, rinsed, got out of the shower, ran my hands thru my hair and only 2-3 hair on each hand.:) I did it a few times in a row and was getting 1-3 hair out all the time...I comb my hair and the comb only took 4 out.

That's a great way to start the day, today it's back to normal. :?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Curly2bald said:
My foam should be in the mail by now...

I had my first low shed day in months yesterday: I washed my hair, rinsed, got out of the shower, ran my hands thru my hair and only 2-3 hair on each hand.:) I did it a few times in a row and was getting 1-3 hair out all the time...I comb my hair and the comb only took 4 out.

That's a great way to start the day, today it's back to normal. :?

You will get krazy if you are that sensetive to your hair.

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it^^

I seem to shed a little bit less than a month ago but I still find alot of hair everywhere. I finally got my rogaine in the mail today, I'm a little scared to use it but I guess I'll take the plunge and see how much more I'll shed.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Curly2bald said:
Tell me about it^^

I seem to shed a little bit less than a month ago but I still find alot of hair everywhere. I finally got my rogaine in the mail today, I'm a little scared to use it but I guess I'll take the plunge and see how much more I'll shed.

good luck!