DABAO, at $149 per bottle, must work?

JamesVegas

Reaction score
At USD $149.00 per bottle, this product needs to either work or have a serious marketing campaign to make any sort of repeat sales -- and it doesn't have a marketing campaign.

I've recently read about a product called Dabao Hair Grower, produced by a Chinese pharmaceutical company (soon to be purchased by Johnson & Johnson) that has been completely successful in treating everyone that has posted about it. (At least, as far as I can tell with a brief Google search.)

The posters wonder why it hasn't gained more popularity, and I assume that is because it is a foreign product, and seems very hard to find/purchase.

The ingredients are entirely unlisted, but one source indicates a blend of "37 [Chinese medicinal] herbs."

Has anyone heard anything at all about this?!

I'm very, very skeptical, but at the price they are asking -- this is no drugstore impulse buy, and if people are repeatedly buying it at that price, there must be something to it.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't use anything that doesn't have at least some clinical study showing it's effectiveness. I've found Nizoral, Tricomin, Minoxidil are the only OTC products I've found with satisfactory clinical evidence backing their effectiveness. And of course, Propecia (not OTC).

JamesVegas

Reaction score
According to a place in New Zealand that sells the product, it has gone through a clinical study.

They say that it has undergone extensive study at the University of Limburg in Holland -- and that only two products have received this kind of medical evaluation – Minoxidil and DABAO Hair Grower.

CCS

Reaction score
there needs to be a placebo group too. One without any treatment.

JamesVegas

Reaction score
Thanks Cassin and 'college. I'm banking on the fact that this is bullshit, since the studies seem to be flawed and we have no way of knowing what's actually inside.

However, I still have to wonder about thouse people who've said that it works -- and the fact that they export a decent amount of this stuff to repeat customers.

I'm always hoping to find that "miracle cure."

I asked the pharmacy some questions, and they said they'll "send me a brochure." So, if there's anything interesting inside related to clinical studies or any hints about "how it works," I'll let you guys know.

JamesVegas

Reaction score
I received the brocure. There isn't much extra inside -- at least, nothing to reveal how the product "works."

They do, however, give some clues as to exactly what was done in terms of testing the product -- which I beleive led to double blind study in France.

I have never seen a product with a price tag this incredibly high! Apparently, it has enough repeat customers for them to stay in business -- and if people are buying something this expensive over and over again, there's a good chance the company is producing something of value.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be a little concerned about putting 37 unknown Chinese medicinal herbs on my head.
Whether it worked or not.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
:agree:

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
JamesVegas said:
Apparently, it has enough repeat customers for them to stay in business

No, just an endless supply of desperate, balding, first-time buyer chumps.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I submit that the Colonel's secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices is a superior investment.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's really expensive, but I see that they claim that the hairs you regrow will not fall out after the usage has stopped. Seems pretty bull to me. They also say that if you use DABAO and rogaine...you can apply DABAO a week after using application of rogaine. That would pretty much spoil the whole purpose of using the two together then...lol. They also don't know why their product grows hair.....they give a reason pretty much similar to minoxidil:

Q. How does DABAO work?
A. With DABAO being a natural product, we are not exactly sure.
We can tell you this much, DABAO appears to improve the vascularisation (blood supply) and probably suppresses the negative influence of the activity of the sebaceous gland providing energy to the bulb, by altering the metabolism inside the cell.

http://www.strandarcadepharmacy.co.nz/g ... tions.html

I'm still continuing to look into this product. My view of this product is neutral.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
J&J is buying DABAO mainly for their skin care (cosmetic) purposes, not for the hair growth product.

newguy23

Reaction score
well boys i wanted this to be the anwser but i got some bad news i was doing a search on this dermatology archive site that has all types of clinical studies that were conducted and guess wat they had a study about dabao:

Chinese Herbal Medicine

Another study evaluated the topical use of a Chinese herbal formula, Dabao (Engelbert & Vialle, Venlo, the Netherlands), for the treatment of androgenic alopecia.67 In this study, 396 patients participated in the double-blind placebo trial, which lasted 6 months. The components of Dabao include 50% ethanol, 42% water, and 8% Chinese herbal extracts, including saffron flowers, mulberry leaves, stemona root, fruits of the pepper plant, sesame leaves, the skin of the Szechuan pepper fruit, ginger root, Chinese angelica root, bark of the pseudolarix, and fruit of the hawthorn. The components of the placebo included 50% ethanol, 48% water, and 2% odor and coloring agents consisting of cherry laurel water, cinnamon water, licorice syrup, sugar syrup, and a solution of burned sugar. In both groups there was an increase in nonvellus hairs. Although the Dabao group was statistically superior to the placebo group in number of nonvellus hairs, the cosmetic improvement in both groups was minimal. Therefore, although there were no reported adverse effects, improvement is unlikely.

SOURCE: http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/138/2/232?ck=nck#SEC7

JamesVegas

Reaction score
Good find!

I'm no longer enthusiastic about this product.

I'm not going to pay $125 for a solution that is 91% water and alcohol.

oni

Reaction score
JamesVegas.................when something much better comes out, we will know about it. :whistle: