Daily amount of Zinc

Format

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the most benificial yet safe amount of zinc one should have per day. I have 50 mg tablets, but i've read on some sites that taking over 30 mg/day over a certain amount of time can mess you up. Has anyone asked a doctor about this, or know for certain? Thanks.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Excess zinc is toxic. Too much zinc will interfere with the metabolism of other minerals in the body, particularly iron and copper.

Symptoms of zinc toxicity occur after ingestion of 2g or more and include nausea, vomiting and fever.

Too much zinc (over time) can actually backfire, suppressing immunity. Regular ingestion of more than 50 mg of zinc can also cause interference with the absorption of other nutrients, causing secondary deficiencies. Copper is one such mineral whose absorption is depressed with too much zinc. Although zinc has a low toxicity for humans, The National Academy of Science actually warns against zinc supplements of more than 15 mg daily without medical supervision.

Zinc has a range of functions. It plays a crucial role in growth and cell division where it is required for protein and DNA synthesis, in insulin activity, in the metabolism of the ovaries and testes, and in liver function. As a component of many enzymes, zinc is involved in the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and energy.

Our body contains about 2-3g of zinc. There are no specific storage sites known for zinc and so a regular supply in the diet is required. Zinc is found in all parts of our body, 60% is found in muscle, 30% in bone and about 5% in our skin. Particularly high concentrations are in the prostate gland and semen. Men need more zinc than women because male semen contains 100 times more zinc than is found in the blood. The more sexually active a man the more zinc he will require. The recommended amounts of zinc for adult men are 1/3 higher than those for women.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the most benificial yet safe amount of zinc one should have per day. I have 50 mg tablets, but i've read on some sites that taking over 30 mg/day over a certain amount of time can mess you up. Has anyone asked a doctor about this, or know for certain? Thanks.

Your dosage is dependent on your lifestyle.
So if you are stressed or secually active you will need more zinc on those days.

Regards
Pete