Dandruff after using Nizoral 2% or Minixodil 5%?

Rsx

Reaction score
I am not sure which (Nizoral 2% or Minixodil 5%) causes the dandruff on my scaple.

I remember I didn't have any dandruff before using Nizoral (Oct 29), but I got some after using it. And then, I got more dandruff and feel itchy after using Minixodil 5% (Nov 21), anyone got the same experience? Will Nizoral cause the dandruff since it makes my scaple dry? (use 3 times per wk) or it is just the residual from Minixodil 5%?

I feel itchy on my scaple after using Minixodil 5%, anyway to stop that?

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure its the minoxidil. cuz i have the same problem. nizoral is a great shampoo and it mositurizes pretty well too.

its that damn minoxidil. people recommended me to go on dr. lee's minoxidil which doesnt cause irritation. try that go to http://www.minoxidil.com

people also told me.. try not to scratch your scalp when it itches, because picking at it will only worsen the situation.

good luck

The Gardener

Reaction score
Rsx,

What you describe is a very very very common side effect of Minoxidil usage. It passes for most people, and passed for me, with the use of Nizoral and with time.

Now, I used Nizoral right after beginning minoxidil, but still, my scalp got flakey. It took a month or two for it to subside, but it finally did and I have been completely dandruff-free ever since that first month.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pleasehelpme said:
nizoral is a great shampoo and it mositurizes pretty well too.

Nizoral is a great addition to almost any regimen, but moisturizing? It dries the sh*t out of your hair!

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Mix it with Emu Oil my friends, as suggested by a veteran poster. That was good info.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Mix it with Emu Oil my friends, as suggested by a veteran poster. That was good info.

Hmmm. That would also increase the absorbtion of the ketoconazole as well. What ratio did "the vet" suggest?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BUMP

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Very common RSX..i too am experiencing it...

Your scalp is like a leather shoe..it won't stay perfectly moist forever. The peeling is either from the minoxidil directly or possibly the nizoral if you're leaving it on too long. You're basically shedding off a layer of crusty dry scalp skin..something that should (as others members have stated) ..pass...

I've noticed some peeling occuring on top and today I bic'd the SOB to see how i'd look. I will keep a stealth regime and let her grow back from time to time to see which follicles are thickening or regrowing.

hf

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
really? it's easier to brush my hair and to shampoo with nizoral than other shampoos... am i applying it in a wrong way?

The Gardener

Reaction score
No, that is perfectly normal. Case in point... I was once recommended a moisturizing shampoo that another contributor said works wonders for him. Well, it weighed my hair down, made it curly, and look like a flat mop on my head.

The choice of shampoos is a person-by-person preference. Some shampoos work great with some people's hair, and terribly with others... Nizoral included.

I use Nizoral, but it tends to dry out my hair a bit and I need to use a good conditioner afterwards. This doesn't mean that it might not be ideal for your hair/scalp. Everyone's hair is different.

Rsx

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I will try not to leave the Nizoral for too long cause I got more dandruffs after using it.

Thanks