DarklyCharming's Story- (22 / Thinning hairline)

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Just starting to delve into this fun and thought I'd document it all the way through.

I'm 22 years old and have always had very thick hair. I also have always had a high hairline which was never a problem because it looks pretty good with my facial structure, which is very square jawed and masculine. I had high temples and it worked for me.

Over the last year, I noticed that my temples were receding slightly. They moved up a bit and I assumed it was the maturity hairline making itself known. No sweat right? However, this summer and more so, in the last 2-3 months, I've noticed that the hair in front on my hairline is starting to thin. That's when I panicked.

My mother's side of the family has major baldness in the men and I knew that it might eventually be an issue for me. I just didn't realize this early on, it might be present. All of August, I fretted, looked up research online, and asked several people, (family and friends), whether they thought I was balding. Everyone said no, there was no way I was balding. However, I'm sure I am and notice a huge difference in the thickness of my frontal hair and how the temples are receding.

I have an appointment with my general practitioner this Friday, November the 12th, 2004. Hopefully, he can prescribe me with Propecia and we'll see what it does. I have thin hairs in the areas where the temples receded and hope they'll thicken back up as well as the front. My frontal hair is still average thickness because my original hair was very thick. If I can save that and thicken up the temples with the hair already there, I'd be such a happy guy. I feel like my confidence, which was massive before, is slowly being eroded.

Anyways, since I'm catching this fairly early, even though I'm young, I'm hoping I'll be able to save almost all my hair. Thanks for this forum guys, it's been a great source of feeling better about myself and figuring out what to do. I'll be sure to post how my doctor's appointment goes this Friday and what my plan of action is.

Cheers!

Sidenote: Going to take monthly photos to see progress. Link below goes to them.

*took down the link to my pics because its not working for some reason. try to get it back up as soon as i can*

G

Good luck, you may have caught it early enough to reverse the situation.

EliasNJ

Reaction score
Sounds like your chances of recovering your hair are better then mine. Good luck to you and hopefully in a year from now we can both be happy with the results.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Today was my appointment with my general practitioner and it was interesting.

First off, he said there were two real options for hair loss. Propecia and Rogaine, which he said was a shampoo. It was funny because I knew more about hair loss, due to my frantic looking online and research, and corrected him several times about treatments, side effects, and what to expect.

After examining my head, he said that yes, my front was thinning and my temples receding but that the middle and back of my head were very very thick and showed no signs of hair loss. He mentioned that Propecia works best for users on the back of the head but that he'd still prescribe it for me if I wanted it.

He wrote me a prescription for 90 count (ie 3 months of Propecia) with 3 refills, so basically a year's prescription and said to see what this could do for me.

Here's how I'm feeling after all this:

1. Great relief. I feel like I'm taking whatever control I can over a situation that was making me feel helpless.

2. Optimistic. If I can only hang on to what I have now for the rest of my life, that would be excellent because I still look like I have a somewhat normal head of hair. Not great but decent.

3. Confused. I'm kinda worried because I don't have the extra cash to buy treatments in 3 month spurts. I don't know if the pharmacy can break up the prescription so that I'm only buying it monthly. IE I want to spend 50 a month rather than 150 for the 3 months all at once.

I'm going tomorrow to see if they will do that for me, break up the prescription into monthly doses. If not, I'm going to have to wait awhile until I can start the treatment. :(

Finally, some questions:

My thin hair at the front. I've read over and over that Propecia can thicken up and save the hair you already have. Does that mean the hair I have 3 months down the road or the hair I have when I first start the treatment?

And lastly, does anyone know if pharmacies can do that breaking up of prescriptions?

Thanks so much guys, this forum is always a huge source of help and support.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Day 1 on Propecia: 11-13-04

The pharmacist was great and once you have a prescription for a whole year, you can pick it up in any quantity you want.

I just popped my first pill of Propecia and realized that I've finally taken what control I can over something that was starting to consume my life. The feeling is awesome. Regardless of what happens now, I know I found the best there was out there and tried. :)

From now on, it's just updates on how I'm doing with the Propecia. Thanks everyone!

Cassin

Reaction score
DarklyCharming said:
Day 1 on Propecia

Fantastic! Good luck your going to do just fine judging by your pics!

Go ahead and take your Propecia and finish up what you bought. You mentioned money as an issue but that is easily solved.

1. You can begin buying PROSCAR which is 5mg of FINASTERIDE. Proscar costs between $75 and $90 a bottle. Which you can take a razor and cut up into 5ths. Most people cust it up into 4ths because of the shape of the tablet. This makes a bottle last about 4 months.

2. Propecia has 1MG and costs between $50 anf $60 a bottle and lasts 1 month.

3. Maybe your insurance will cover Proscar sicne it is made for BPH. Mine does and so I now pay about $75 a year for my FINASTERIDE since all I do is pay a co-pay.

No you DID NOT make a mistake by getting Propecia. I am just trying to give you a cash saving alternative. I now this is allot to sink in. Hairloss is a complicated issue.

Regardless bro, your gonna do just fine.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of 1% Nizoral today at the store. Figured that I might as well include it with the Propecia. It seems to be an easy addition, since it will only take washing my hair with it twice a week. Just incorporating it into my usual shampooing routine.

I'm in my third week on Propecia. Haven't noticed anything different such as shedding, but I never shed before that I noticed so it's possible I don't pick up on that stuff very well.

Here on out, its Propecia once a day and Nizoral twice a week. Here's hoping! :)

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im on a similar boat buddy. I have saved up some cash will I will not spend on anything but finasteride and Nizoral. I suggest you save like $1000 or something and keep it for a rainy day.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided today to buzz my head, for a few reasons...

1. Everyone suggests really short hair if you think you are balding because in trying to hide any bald spots, you end up making yourself look more ridiculous.

2. I've really started obsessing about my hair to the point where I go into the bathroom or anywhere with a mirror any chance I get. It's damn near obsessive compulsive behavior. If it's buzzed to a really short length, then I'll always know exactly how it looks and that no hair is out of place.

3. Almost the same as above but slightly different. I worry about the people I date looking at my hair and that sends me to the bathroom to check. If buzzed, again problem is solved. Plus girls love to run their hands over a buzzed head. I've had that confirmed over and over. ;)

4. Since I'm just getting into my third week of Propecia, with it buzzed, I can take pictures and actually be able to track my progress easier as that clear lines will be visible. Hopefully it'll fill right in and a year from now I'll go back to my long wavy look. Otherwise, I'll be sporting the buzz from now on.

Overall, I feel this is a smart decision for my mental sanity on this issue. I look the way I look and people dig on me for my personality and wild antics. Plus I've got a killer smile ;) This buzz may be a damn good decision.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
I envy your buzz. And I know how obsessing about the mirror is. In a short amount of time I knew how EVERY mirror I encounter during the day will make my hair look different. It got ridiculous, so I now make the conscious effort to not look at my hair in the mirror, even when I check my teeth for food or something like that. Obsessing about your hair can lead you down the scary road and you won't be yourself (which is not good on dates).

And with a buzz you probably won't notice a shed and then freak out.

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
Iam a nebie,three days ago my doctore prescribe propecia,but still hesitating to take the pill and start the treatment. should i go for it or not.
Iam asking this because i just found this forum and need some advice from vetrans.

your 's response will appreciated

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Phantom2x, I say go for Propecia. Everyone has said starting early is the best step you can take because you'll save what you already have.

My One Month Update:

It's been one month on Propecia and 2 weeks on Nizoral. Overall my hair looks healthier and feels softer and thicker. Before treatment, it was starting to be very dry. I have super thick hair and now that it's back to feeling soft and healthy as far as the majority, (not the front where it's thinning) I can style my hair so that it's not noticable that I'm losing hair. In fact, everyone I ask insist I'm crazy and not losing hair.

My temples and frontal hairline don't seem to have any change. I have great hair days and then I'll horrible ones where I'm sure everyone is wondering what a young guy is doing with hair loss. Here's the thing. I've really come to the conclusion that it's all mental. Lighting is a huge factor. Look at yourself in fluroscent lighting and you'll freak out. Look at yourself in good lighting and you'll wonder if you're losing hair at all.

I'm staying on the Propecia for a full year to 1.) see if my temples regrow a little area. 2 cm would be awesome and I'd feel perfect if they'd get that back. 2.) to see if my frontal hairline thickens up a bit more, to where its the same as the rest of my hair, ie super thick. 3.) to maintain what I have now.

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion, and its a happy one, that if I can maintain exactly what I have now with Propecia, then I'll be a happy guy. I still look like I have a decent head of hair, no one thinks I'm balding, and I can do some fun styles and get some major play in the bedroom. That's my ultimate and base goal. I'll be a happy clam if that works out. If I do get regrowth in my temples, then I'll be ecstatic.

My biggest advice to anyone starting to think they are losing their hair and completely FREAKING OUT and letting it dominate their life:

It is much much worse in your head than anyone else sees it as. The people who love you will always love you, your girlfriend/partner will still want you, and if you move on it now and get on a regimen, you are doing everything you can.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Lighting is a b**ch. Home bathroom lights are the worst, so sometimes I don't even look at myself in some of them. Through my observations I've found that the bathroom lights are basically showing you your hair at it's very worst, and I have yet to replicate that effect in mirrors around town.

It comes down to a glass half empty/half full type of mentality. That is why many of us feel that hairloss happened overnight. What really happened is that we went from observing the positive space (hair) to observing the negative space (scalp) in a short amount of time. At least for me.

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
it seems you and i are in same stage of hair loss ,24years of age. still have thick good hair, but my forntal hair line is thining which is making me nuts.
when iam in shower or combin my hair i see alot of hairs are falling.. and
i ask my self what the hell is happening,it is very stressful.
To ease my mind i will start propecia and wait to see the resul

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've noticed that I'm shedding like a crazy person. It feels like the hair is parachuting off my head. At first, I'm excited for the hair because it looks like fun to jump off and float down. Then I get pissed and realize they're leaving behind empty space. Bastards. I never noticed hair falling out before and this is the first shed I've had. It's been going on for about a week and a half now.

It's been roughly 1.5 months on Propecia and Nizoral. I can say that the quality of my hair has been returned fantastically to its original state as far as healthy looking and thick thanks to Nizoral. I do nizoral one day and then a really nice shampoo and conditioner the next and the combination is working swimmingly.

I have also noticed a few light hairs on my frontal hairline that are new. Whether they are Propecia induced or decided to show up for kicks is up for debate. Overall, I'm feeling pretty positive about the whole thing. The shedding can bite my *** but other than that, everyone I ask continues to think I'm not balding and I can still style my hair so that it doesn't look noticably bad.

Looking forward big time to the 3 month mark, as that's the first chance to really see slowing of hair loss or possible improvements. That will be a glorious and sunny day. I'll bring iced tea.

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
now i past the 7th day mark, but i will wait to see, what will happen at 3th month.even if i notice slight improvement iwill stick with it. hope it works.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: DarklyCharming's Story

WHERE IS DARKLYCHARMING!

man i really wanted to hear how this guys hair transplant went...he must be 26 years old now. VAnished after he had it done in 2005. Come back !

Petchsky

Reaction score
Re: DarklyCharming's Story

Hey i remember this guy, not logged in since 2005 though. Must have gone well