DaynNite's Story- (19yo, finasteride/nizoral Started 07/27/09) w/pics

Caesar

Reaction score
Vassup everybody,
I noticed that my hair was thinning when I was 17, probably around May/June of 2008. My thinning has almost always been localized on the crown, but starting early 2009 the hair on the top of my head has begun to thin as well. :thumbdown2:

I tried nizoral 1% when I first started thinning, and used it for about 3 months. I really didn't care too much about my thinning until this past summer when I decided to finally do something about my hair.

I went to a dermatologist on July 27th and was prescribed Propecia 1mg/daily and subsequently received and began treatment the same day. I'm very good with taking my doses and have not missed one.

Starting on October 3rd 2009 I began to use Folligen Lotion on my hair and I leave it in overnight. I also take a variety of supplements, but they are mainly for weightlifting. However, I do take Saw Palmetto and Flax Oil daily.

I also use Nizoral 2% M/W/F and I'm thinking about incorporating T-sal or T-gel for the off days...any suggestions?

I plan to stick with my current regimen for about 9-12 months to see if I can get any regrowth. If not I may add minoxidil to my regimen.

Oh, and should I buzz my hair or would that just highlight my thinning crown?

[attachment=0:3i3cl8cj]IMG_1270.JPG[/attachment:3i3cl8cj]
[attachment=1:3i3cl8cj]IMG_1257.JPG[/attachment:3i3cl8cj]
[attachment=2:3i3cl8cj]IMG_1256.JPG[/attachment:3i3cl8cj]
[attachment=3:3i3cl8cj]IMG_1254.JPG[/attachment:3i3cl8cj]

Attachments

• IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    549.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    715.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 193

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I have similar loss as you. Are you of asian descent, by any chance?

Secondly, I shaved off all of my hair a year ago and it was probably the best thing I've ever done. Since then it's gotten long again and I'm having a hard time wanting to shave it, because I'm just done school and looking for a job. Hiding the loss at the moment.

My advice is to shave it short and see how you like it. I liked not having to maintain it, but hated how it looked. Eventually I'll get used to having a buzzed head and not worry about it.

And stick to your regimen for a year. I'm only on finasteride and nizoral for 11 months... Haven't seen anything drastic but. Hoping to see more soon. Strangely enough, my temple is filling in but my crown... Not so much.

Caesar

Reaction score
Hmm, im not of asian descent but i have been thinking of buzzing it... Have you thought of adding minoxidil?

Caesar

Reaction score
Update January 11, 2010

It's almost been six months on finasteride/nizoral and I haven't noticed drastic regrowth yet. However, i recently had my hair cut shorter and have noticed a lot of baby soft hairs on my crown and on the top of my head, also my hairline has gotten lower and temples have regrown a bit.

My hairline seems to be heading for a Norwood 1 which is kinda weird.

It is very easy to tell my crown is full of baby hairs when touched, I just wish they would turn terminal already ><.

I'll post some update pictures soon, in the meantime, does anyone have an idea how long these hairs will take to mature?

Caesar

Reaction score
*9 month update*
Got my hair cut short to around 1.5 inches all around which did hide some of my hair loss, and I just started using Aveda Abundance shampoo which is amazing. However, this does not mean I am not seeing results, I can see new hairs coming into my crown, and the overall density and quality of the hair on top of my head improving.

Also, I've been testing out styling products - FX Surf Head, Garnier Surf Hair, Jason Mousse, and American Crew Fiber - and have come to the conclusion that Garnier Surf Hair is the sh*t.

I'll try and post pictures soon.

Halp

Reaction score
DaynNite said:
Also, I've been testing out styling products - FX Surf Head, Garnier Surf Hair, Jason Mousse, and American Crew Fiber - and have come to the conclusion that Garnier Surf Hair is the sh*t.

Really? I tried it and didnt really like it. Seemed to make my hair clumpy and greasy. Maybe I was just applying it wrong. So long as stuff is improving for you!