Deadbeat777'S Story - (Seeking your advice!)

deadbeat777

Reaction score
Hey!

I am 23, have been thinning on the top and particularly on the crown since I was 18. I don't usually come across as bald but upon looking closely, people do get tend to get hints :(

I am posting some pics along this thread to get your opinion on my situation, I welcome any tips, advice, observations etc that you may form based on the attached pictures.

My main concern is the thinning on the crown and the slight thinning (which is getting apparent as days go by) on the front, near my partition. I have also noticed stunted growth of hair on the top, however, hair on the sides and back tend to grow normally. My hair has also turned to a lighter shade (light-brownish) from the jet black that I used to be proud of, particularly on the top, the sides and back are normal. My father is bald and so was my maternal grandfather. However, none of my father's brothers or my mother's brothers are bald.

I keep away from hair gels or 'wet look' since it makes the skin more visible. When my hair is wet, I would say that it usually comes across as 60%hair and 40%skin which is bad considering how normal Indian hair is. I have to shampoo and blowdry every day in order to boost the volume, if I go a day without shampooing, my hair becomes incredibly flat and thin (seriously!)

Please let me know what these pics reveal and how I can try to minimize or possibly regrow where I have lost

Attachments

• 20110128_002.jpg
    20110128_002.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20110128_004.jpg
    20110128_004.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 20110113_001.jpg
    20110113_001.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 20110128_015.jpg
    20110128_015.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 20110128_005.jpg
    20110128_005.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 20110128_003.jpg
    20110128_003.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 20110128_010.jpg
    20110128_010.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 220

deadbeat777

Reaction score
Re: Hello! Seeking your advice!

Attaching more pics

Attachments

• 20110128_006.jpg
    20110128_006.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 20110128_007.jpg
    20110128_007.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 20110128_008.jpg
    20110128_008.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 213

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
perfect hair bro

no need to worry

however since to have male pattern baldness in your genes

keep an eye on it and when male pattern baldness becomes apparent go on some form of treatment

deadbeat777

Reaction score
Thanks bro! I was concerned about the crown area because it seems to show unusual amount of scalp at times,usually when I have not combed or washed, like early mornings after waking up or after wearing a motorcycle helmet. I have also started keeping my hair short (cuz it just doesn't grow! lol) since the longer it gets, the 'unhealthier' it seems, very lifeless/dull.. Any effort to sort that out (gels, wax, shine spray, oil) makes my scalp more visible. Is it just in my mind or is there something I need to be worried of?

P.S. I have been scared as feck since my college days about losing hair, the balding however, hasn't really come to notice to my friends, they think its just fine, however, to me, it seems that I have lesser hair as compared to, say, 4 years ago.. I will put a pic of my freshman year soon.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think you are thinning in the crown too, it's nothing dramatic, but the earlier you start to treat it the better off you'll be.

No need for minoxidil, but I'd personally get on finasteride if I was in your situation (which is exactly what I did :)). Stick with it for a year and reassess then.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you move to another country to go to college?

Just asking because I have a lot of Morrocan friends that claimed once they moved to another country their hair would thin due to the different chemicals in the city water supply. I myself have a shower filter that removes a lot of chlorine and different chemicals. It at least helps soothe the itchy scalp.

deadbeat777

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs gentlemen! Some more recent pics.. Please let me know your thoughts :)

I haven't moved on to the big 3 yet, I know its never late to start but these products aren't really easily available where i am at, but I am working on it.

DSCN0752.jpg

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0750.jpg

DSCN0749.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

The last pic was taken when hair was completely dried.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairline is great but you have some slight crown thinning. Get on finasteride and that should reverse almost fully. If you get on finasteride now you should keep your hair and not have to worry. Your very luck (among balding guys that it).

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
I think he has just a thin hair. I mean has it always been like that around the crown? For example my hair has always been thinner in the crown area, I have pics from my childhood. Maybe that's the case. But if it hasn't been like that for years, yeah there's a problem.

gsk

Reaction score
Good lord....my situation is EXACTLY same as yours only I'm 25 now.

No recession on temples but thinning crown.

I started using Finasteride 0.5mg to test the pills, so far no sides except some mild ball ache for 20 mins or so.

and also I added nizoral 2% (every other day)

btw...how much hair do lose while head wash or combing, I can count upto 5 - 10 while head wash and 2 or 3 while combing.

JohnDoe1989

Reaction score
if i were you i would never consider finasteride. you've got such a nice hair, not even close to balding. i know one thing for sure if u take finasteride u will mess up your hormones and that thing will certainly cause you shedding because if your hormones fluctuate you will loose hair! and if u have sides and u give up finasteride what will u gain? so you still got lot of hair so don't mess it up.if you still are desperate for that little white patch in the back you could go on minoxidil just in that area. Aaa, and use nizoral as shampoo 2-3 times a week! It's a rly good product! good luck! live your life because you don't have male pattern baldness! at least not now! :D

deadbeat777

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments. My friends have been fed up of my obsession with my hair. They say it has been the same for over 5 years now however, I do think that I have lost some near the widow's peak. I remember that it used to be fairly prominent . Also, I have started noticing that the portion where my hair parts is becoming more and more visible.

Even hair gels can't seem to keep my hair spiked, it always seems to 'fall' down sideways or in the front whereas back in the teens i never used gels!

My dad started balding in the crown first and then it slowly spread across. Not sure if I will have the same fate. I do think that I have always had a noticeable cowlick.. but never really paid too much attention to it until one fine day when I suddenly fet the aircon air caressing my crown during a flight back home. :shock:

deadbeat777

Reaction score
gsk said:

I started using Finasteride 0.5mg to test the pills, so far no sides except some mild ball ache for 20 mins or so.

btw...how much hair do lose while head wash or combing, I can count upto 5 - 10 while head wash and 2 or 3 while combing.

I shampoo every day otherwise my hair becomes greasy and starts appearing 'fine'. 5-10 strands every wash and a few while combing or styling :)

But if I shampoo after say, 2-3 days.. I have counted upto 20!!

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
JohnDoe1989 said:
if i were you i would never consider finasteride. you've got such a nice hair, not even close to balding. i know one thing for sure if u take finasteride u will mess up your hormones and that thing will certainly cause you shedding because if your hormones fluctuate you will loose hair! and if u have sides and u give up finasteride what will u gain? so you still got lot of hair so don't mess it up.if you still are desperate for that little white patch in the back you could go on minoxidil just in that area. Aaa, and use nizoral as shampoo 2-3 times a week! It's a rly good product! good luck! live your life because you don't have male pattern baldness! at least not now! :D

I think there is some thinning but it isn't too bad and he has a great hairline.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
deadbeat777 said:
gsk said:

I shampoo every day otherwise my hair becomes greasy and starts appearing 'fine'. 5-10 strands every wash and a few while combing or styling :)

But if I shampoo after say, 2-3 days.. I have counted upto 20!!

Good lord that is nothing! You have no problem with the number of hair you're losing. The question is does it grow back, and if so does it become weaker and smaller in diameter...
I lose 100+ hairs a day and have a thick head of hair! That surely is too much but it may be due to meds working
Forget how much you shed...

deadbeat777

Reaction score
Just an update after a long while. I just let my hair be for the last year and didn't use any meds or supplements. I am convinced that I have thinned on my hairline and more notably on the crown. I have started using Rogaine since a week so lets see how it goes. I haven't had any shed yet but maybe it's too early for it anyway.
IMAG0185.jpgIMAG0188.jpg