Delayed or no growth possible in multiple hair transplants?

mcs

Reaction score
We all know that blood supply is critical to graft survival. But the questions still unanswered are what parameters are needed in the hair transplant surgery to insure that this supply is adequate? I read that a common rate for graft survival is in the 90-95% range. I wonder how much that may decrease with each successive procedure, hence, the cause for my concern.

I read further that as the number of hair grafts placed per unit area (density) rises, so does the risk of vascular compromise (decreased blood flow to the area caused by injury to the scalp) and this may result in sub-optimal graft growth. So, what is ultimately critical for the patient is not how many grafts were transplanted, but how many actually grow. Poor or retarded growth is not an all-or-none phenomena and sub-optimal growth is literally impossible to detect. If too many grafts are done at one time, some feel the hair growth is reduced due to crowding of the grafts and lower blood supply.

Does anyone know of any research that shows that blood flow to the grafts could be compromised or growth delayed with multiple procedures as compared to the first procedure? Can multiple procedures really outstrip the blood supply necessary to insure maximum growth?

Did those of you with multiple procedures see any stubble of erupting hair coming in between your hairs after 3-4 mos.?

The reason I ask is that I don't recall seeing a stubble on my 2nd procedure and am concerned as whether I will see any for my 3rd. It was easy to see on my first procedure; the surgical advantages of transplanting into virgin scalp being the original blood supply is intact.

mcs

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Yes, I think low blood flow can create some issues. But, if you are young and healthy, don't drink, smoke, or use heavy drugs (ie - coke, speed, heroin, acid, extacy, or smoke a lot of weed, etc) for the first couple months post-op, you shouldn't have to worry about bloodflow causing a low yield, AFAIK.

Placing too many new grafts too close may be an issue. But most competent hair transplant surgeons know what the optimal distance is, so you shouldn't have to worry. Assumimg you went to a good hair transplant clinic, they would not have put them too close that would have caused a problem. On the other hand, if the surgeon is a complete hack, well then ... :dunno:

But, sweat from working out can cause issues for like the first month or so. I was told to avoid heavy workouts for at least the first month post-op, and to wash your hair twice a day. You want to keep it as clean as possible.

I was also told that with each hair transplant procedure, the scarring in your recipient region from previous hair transplants will slow or delay the growth of the new grafts. They will eventually come in, but not as soon as they did on your first one. However, if there is excessive scarring, it can sometimes cause a lower yield. This can happen not just from the procedure itself, but other things such as an infection if you were to get one after an hair transplant, which is very rare.

Getting too much sun on the new grafts is not good either. This can also cause them to die before they become deeply rooted and permanent. Off hand, I can't remember if it 6 weeks or 6 months post-op that you need to keep the sun off your new grafts.

HTH :)

Thanks for the informative reply to my thread. I was told that 10 days post-op was goo enough for workouts. The delay due to previous "damage" makes sense; I'm in for the long haul on this one! No infection, thankfully.

Well, I'm a sun worshipper, what can I say. But I lay out and the sun is not directly beating down on my scalp. I will wear a beanie from now on, just in case.

mcs

Reaction score
One good thing thus far (2 mos. post-op); I suffered no apparent shock loss that i did on procedure #2.