DentedSkull's Story - (22/ starting to recede. On minoxidil)

DentedSkull

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am 22 years old, have always had a pretty high hairline, it's starting to recede. I was not aware of this untill a student girl at my work bluntly pointed this out for some reason.

Then when I got home i stared at my hairline for what seemed like hours and yes sure it seemed to be true. I looked at some pics of when I was 18 and my hairline was pretty high there as well, especially on the right side of my hairline where the hairs stand up in a weird, unstylable way. there's a word for this in my language but I don't know if there is one in English. This has been all my life tho.

Anyway after being paranoid and going crazy for 2 weeks or so I went to my dermatologist and told him about it. After a brief inspection of my hair he said yes it's going pretty deep at the temples and the crown is thinning slightly. But you can fight it he added immediatly and prescribed me 3.75 g minoxidil. I have to apply it once every evening, 2 ml to the scalp and massage it.

so far for the introduction. now some questions, if you would be so kind to share your experience and insight.

*is the initial "shedding" I keep reading of with minoxidil always very noticable? how long does the shedding usually take? are there people who barely notice it? how did you experience this?

*can minoxidil actually stop your hairline from receding since it doesn't stop dht from killing your hair, it is merely a hair growth accelerator?

*can minoxidil improve your hairline?

*is it true minoxidil only grows fuzzy little hairs which do not grow into full, real hairs?

*I am considering FUE hairtransplant to fix my hairline if minoxidil doesn't work, but I hear hairtransplants back fire when you lose more hair over time while maintaining the transplanted hair. You need more and more hairtransplants to keep fixing the new bald zones ($$$) and when you eventually run out of donor hair you may end up shiny bald with a perfect hairline. This is what I heard. Is it true?

Sorry for the heavy first post, but I bet you know what's going on in my head.

THANKS

edit: forgot to mention I have a big dent in the left back top part of my skull. It's been there for as long as I can remember and I don't know how it got there. I think my parents are lying to me about not knowing. Anyway this is why I don't want to abandon my hair and just shave it like a lot of guys do when confronted with male pattern baldness. It's not a minor dent like every one has here and there, it looks like I was hit with a bat. :( with hair you can't see it tho, which is why I want to keep it desperately

vikings1234

Reaction score
Re: 22 years old, hairline starting to recede. On minoxidil...

DentedSkull said:
Hi everyone,

I am 22 years old, have always had a pretty high hairline, it's starting to recede. I was not aware of this untill a student girl at my work bluntly pointed this out for some reason.

Then when I got home i stared at my hairline for what seemed like hours and yes sure it seemed to be true. I looked at some pics of when I was 18 and my hairline was pretty high there as well, especially on the right side of my hairline where the hairs stand up in a weird, unstylable way. there's a word for this in my language but I don't know if there is one in English. This has been all my life tho.

Anyway after being paranoid and going crazy for 2 weeks or so I went to my dermatologist and told him about it. After a brief inspection of my hair he said yes it's going pretty deep at the temples and the crown is thinning slightly. But you can fight it he added immediatly and prescribed me 3.75 g minoxidil. I have to apply it once every evening, 2 ml to the scalp and massage it.

so far for the introduction. now some questions, if you would be so kind to share your experience and insight.

*is the initial "shedding" I keep reading of with minoxidil always very noticable? how long does the shedding usually take? are there people who barely notice it? how did you experience this?

*can minoxidil actually stop your hairline from receding since it doesn't stop dht from killing your hair, it is merely a hair growth accelerator?

*can minoxidil improve your hairline?

*is it true minoxidil only grows fuzzy little hairs which do not grow into full, real hairs?

*I am considering FUE hairtransplant to fix my hairline if minoxidil doesn't work, but I hear hairtransplants back fire when you lose more hair over time while maintaining the transplanted hair. You need more and more hairtransplants to keep fixing the new bald zones ($$$) and when you eventually run out of donor hair you may end up shiny bald with a perfect hairline. This is what I heard. Is it true?

Sorry for the heavy first post, but I bet you know what's going on in my head.

THANKS

you should hop on propecia that is the only thing that is going to block the DHT attacking your hair follicles and possibly hault/slowdown/grow back hair

DentedSkull

Reaction score

vikings1234 said:
you should hop on propecia that is the only thing that is going to block the DHT attacking your hair follicles and possibly hault/slowdown/grow back hair
I wonder then why my dermatologist didn't give it. Does he think minoxidil alone might work or what?

But propecia makes you fat and impotent? Or is that a myth?

I only started minoxidil last tuesday

vikings1234

Reaction score

DentedSkull said:
vikings1234 said:
I wonder then why my dermatologist didn't give it. Does he think minoxidil alone might work or what?

maybe minoxidil will grow back for you but ultimately if you have male pattern baldness minoxidil isn't going to win or slow down that war on its own.

No it is not a myth, less then 2% of users or something experience side effects. Most do not.

DentedSkull

Reaction score

vikings1234 said:
DentedSkull said:
vikings1234 said:

maybe minoxidil will grow back for you but ultimately if you have male pattern baldness minoxidil isn't going to win or slow down that war on its own.

No it is not a myth, less then 2% of users or something experience side effects. Most do not.
less than 2%? holy...

why isn't he giving me? Should I go back and ask him? (the dermatologist) or see another one?

edit: also, what are the shedding issues with minoxidil and finasteride (propecia?)

is it really noticable in most cases? Like when you start using it will you recede even more/thin more in a noticable way?

vikings1234

Reaction score

yes, you should if you think it is something you want to add to your regimen

Unfortunately even some derms aren't as smart on certain subjects. If he doesn't give it to you then go to another till they do(if you have male pattern baldness that is which it sounds like you do). I wish I got on it a year ago.

There are sheds with minoxidil more so then documented with propecia. I had a few slight sheds on propecia in month 1 and month 2 and stopped shedding around month 3. I have heard and seen some pretty massive sheds on minoxidil. But everyone's body is different. Shedding isn't a bad thing though, just visually it can be very tough to deal with in some cases.

Also pick up some nizoral(part of the BIG 3 minoxidil, propecia, nizoral). Nizoral is an anti-fungal shampoo helps most people. It was too harsh for me so I use a coal tar shampoo instead to fight any itch/folliculits or the like. I do not use minoxidil though so can't help you there

DentedSkull

Reaction score

vikings1234 said:

Unfortunately even some derms aren't as smart on certain subjects. If he doesn't give it to you then go to another till they do(if you have male pattern baldness that is which it sounds like you do). I wish I got on it a year ago.

There are sheds with minoxidil more so then documented with propecia. I had a few slight sheds on propecia in month 1 and month 2 and stopped shedding around month 3. I have heard and seen some pretty massive sheds on minoxidil. But everyone's body is different. Shedding isn't a bad thing though, just visually it can be very tough to deal with in some cases.

Also pick up some nizoral(part of the BIG 3 minoxidil, propecia, nizoral). Nizoral is an anti-fungal shampoo helps most people. It was too harsh for me so I use a coal tar shampoo instead to fight any itch/folliculits or the like. I do not use minoxidil though so can't help you there
massive sheds? oh man getting scared here (seriously) did other people notice your personal shed?

My dermatologist gave me 3 months prescription of minoxidil, wants to see me again in 3 months. But basically even IF it LOOKS better by then the DHT just keeps on killing my hair day by day?

Should I then get on finasteride asap? (propecia)

vikings1234

Reaction score

DentedSkull said:
vikings1234 said:

massive sheds? oh man getting scared here (seriously) did other people notice your personal shed?

My dermatologist gave me 3 months prescription of minoxidil, wants to see me again in 3 months. But basically even IF it LOOKS better by then the DHT just keeps on killing my hair day by day?

Should I then get on finasteride asap? (propecia)

my sheds were not that noticeable, I have always kept my hair short and can style it that it wasn't a huge issue. My thinning is mostly in my crown too, I would use a little bit of dermmatch to help just a bit.

Shedding is going to be different , but is a very common theme among minoxidil mostly and propecia depending on the person. But shedding is a good thing generally. Propecia is a DHT blocker and is essential in my opinion. If you aren't blocking the DHT you aren't slowing down the balding process. Go to propecia.com for more information. minoxidil is a growth stimulant.

a DHT blocker is pretty much the base of most peoples regimen

DentedSkull

Reaction score

What about "saw palmetto" as a dht blocker? I read this on a hairloss forum
I'm taking saw palmetto pills, talked to a very good doctor about this, he could confirm that several clinical tests had shown that saw palmetto were a just as effective 5-alfa-reductase inhibitor as finasteride (!), but because of other substances in the plant, none of the test subjects experienced impotency, rather the opposite, increased libido and sexual drive.

vikings1234

Reaction score

DentedSkull said:
What about "saw palmetto" as a dht blocker? I read this on a hairloss forum
I'm taking saw palmetto pills, talked to a very good doctor about this, he could confirm that several clinical tests had shown that saw palmetto were a just as effective 5-alfa-reductase inhibitor as finasteride (!), but because of other substances in the plant, none of the test subjects experienced impotency, rather the opposite, increased libido and sexual drive.

at this point there is no clinical studies officially that prove this. Propecia is the only FDA approved hairloss dht blocker. If I am being honest, forget all that other stuff, get propecia. Period.

vikings1234

Reaction score

DentedSkull said:
vikings1234 said:
DentedSkull said:
If I am being honest, forget all that other stuff, get propecia. Period.
does that include minoxidil?

no minoxidil is also FDA approv(only Propecia and minoxidil), depends on what you are looking to do. Some take 1 or both.