Derma roller for minoxidil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashman843

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post on this forum. Have been reading A LOT about this common problem we all share. I've been losing hair for over 2 years now, but I never really bothered till recently when one day I suddenly realized that Im really really bald. Iv lost substantial amount of hair in the crown and sides. However, my hairline and the hair on the back of my head are still intact. Im scared and have been on minoxidil 1x a day, supplements like centrum and cod liver oil.

Went to a dermatologist and she put me on a regime where once a week they use a derma-roller (very small needles) and then put minoxidil soln (10%). It burns.. but as long as it helps i dont mind. I'm honestly scared of using finasteride because of the stories im hearing about the side effects. Wondering if I should give it a go or not.

do you think this is a better way than just using minoxidil normally?
If you think about it, this should increase the absorption of minoxidil shouldnt it?

BitchBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too. Is it generally a given that needling would improve absorption of any given topical?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be EXTREMELY cautious about encouraging the absorption of minoxidil into the skin, because it seems to me that it would be much more likely to be absorbed systemically. Systemically absorbed minoxidil is not benign.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
Needling only encourages absorption into the bloodstream, where you don't need it. The minoxidil needs to just sit on your scalp and allow your follicles to take it in.

xxenergyxx

Reaction score
It depends on the lenght of needles:
for example if you use 0,25 mm needles or 0,5 mm you will not reach the derma, and so it will not be an absorbition into the bloodstream.

Absorbition could happend if you reach deeper layers, using 1 mm needles.

I think it could be a good idea to use small lenght just to improve the effect of lotions (for example 3 times a week) and using 1 mm lenght to stimulate collagen and elastin , in a different period of the day .

Just after 1 hour the channels created into the skin with microneedling will be closed, so if u put a lotion on your skin after 10 hours there is no problem about sistemical absorbition.

I'm really interested in this technique, I hope I can read more experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.