Derma Rolling Tips And Techniques Thread

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
About to do my first session of derma needling and thought it might be good to have a thread to share tips and help avoid any mistakes when doing it.

With that in mind I've read the following, anyone doing it differently or see any issues with this?

Firstly sterilise the roller in min 70% alcohol for 15 mins before use.

Wait for it to dry before using it.

Roll one way at a time, i.e. didn't go back and forth as this creates ripping on the scalp, so go forwards first all over the required areas (multiple times), then go backwards, then diagonal.

Steralise roller after use.

Any tips or corrections to the above?

Also can you steralise the roller after use in the same alcohol as before use? Just thinking I'll spend a fortune on it otherwise.

Anyone adding anything pre or post rolling to help the scalp with the pain / irritation?

Also should we apply minoxidil immediately after or leave it a while first?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Just did everything above using 1mm roller. Uncomfortable and definitely more sore doing it on areas with no hair (probably should press a bit harder in areas with hair?).

No wounding but my scalp is slightly red after, probably could press a bit harder but with it being my first time I was slightly cautious about going too deep.

Put minoxidil foam on immediately afterwards which stung and my head overall feels prickly and a bit like a nettle sting now (about 5 mins post minoxidil).

Pic is immediately after rolling and prior to applying minoxidil, has gone a bit more red since but not sure if that's just off rolling or the minoxidil.

Attachments

• 20200713_104822.jpg
    20200713_104822.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 253

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nicely done ajax. You want your scalp to be slightly red (erythema) and not bloody. I also use a 1mm roller on my scalp tho I use a 1.5mm on my hairline. After I roll I apply Povidone-iodine to my scalp to disinfect it. I then wait 24 hours before I apply any topicals.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Nicely done ajax. You want your scalp to be slightly red (erythema) and not bloody. I also use a 1mm roller on my scalp tho I use a 1.5mm on my hairline. After I roll I apply Povidone-iodine to my scalp to disinfect it. I then wait 24 hours before I apply any topicals.

I'm going to try rolling every day so just applying minoxidil foam directly afterwards... Apart from it stinging I haven't experienced any side effects in the two days I've done this. Will see how it goes though and adapt if needed.

It didn't feel as sore today as yesterday doing this so will maybe look at 1.5mm if I don't feel it's making my head red enough, definitely going to be trial and error at first.

Not exactly a pleasant experience doing it but bearable, let's hope in a years time my hair is looking better for it

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to try rolling every day so just applying minoxidil foam directly afterwards... Apart from it stinging I haven't experienced any side effects in the two days I've done this. Will see how it goes though and adapt if needed.

It didn't feel as sore today as yesterday doing this so will maybe look at 1.5mm if I don't feel it's making my head red enough, definitely going to be trial and error at first.

Not exactly a pleasant experience doing it but bearable, let's hope in a years time my hair is looking better for it

I think that is the best approach, most of the great results i have seen come from rolling daily.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that is the best approach, most of the great results i have seen come from rolling daily.

Yeah I think daily at a slightly uncomfortable depth, but not one that is wounding / producing noticeable holes is the way to go.

I'll post updates further down the line to show if there's any benefits being seen.