Dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon

neuromet

Reaction score
I'm 29 and suspect that I will one day get a hair transplant (sometime in the next 1-5 years). Of course, it's necessary to know what my future hair loss will look like. To get a better sense, I understand that a doctor should look at the current miniaturization of my hair follicles.

Does it make sense to see a hair transplant surgeon or a dermatologist for this check up? I think that dermatologists might be more objective because they will not be concerned with pushing me toward surgery. On the other hand, if I'm going to see a surgeon anyway, it would be good to meet one now and see what he's like. What do you think?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
alot of demonologist also do hair transplants

i would see a derm for miniaturization and then consider your opitions

neuromet

Reaction score
Great post. Thanks, dudemon. A few questions:

1) Isn't there some technique to assess miniaturization that has to be done in person?

2) Wouldn't the hair transplant surgeon also charge a hefty fee for the consult?

3) Is it feasible to travel to a surgeon? I imagine I'd have to meet with him pre-op, for the operation and post-op. I can't imagine having to travel each time.

4) Have you heard of any good hair transplant surgeons in the DC area?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I agree with what Dudemon said most Derms know f*** all about m.p.b or your options they tend to concentrate about 99% on skin and treating stuff like acne.
If they do know anything they'll probably try to flog you treatments like shampoos and meds at a massively inflated price.

A well respected hair transplant surgeon will give you free advise and if its one of the best ones wont try to push you to have a hair transplant. And yes unfortunatley you have to travel because there are only a few good ones.

neuromet

Reaction score
So you don't place much faith in the recommendations from the hairtransplantnetwork.com site?

neuromet

Reaction score
Thanks, again, dudemon.

So, it sounds to me, the way to find out who are the good surgeons is to read forum posts and to have personal consults. Is there another way you would suggest?

I imagine there's a close relationship between the doctors with the best reputations and their prices-- not that that is a determining factor.

neuromet

Reaction score
Dudemon, hope you weren't offended. I was simply trying to figure out the best way of finding the best doctors.

I think forum posts and personal consults are legitimate ways.