dermatologist says PROPECIA HAIR SHEDDING NOT NORMAL-PLZHELP

guitarxlife

Reaction score
my hair is shedding like crazy, currently on my third round of propecia (three months, about week till my 4th). my dermatologist says this is not normal.. I am shedding hair each time I shower and each time I run my hands through my hair numerous hairs come out. I am not sure if I should keep taking it and riding it or stop? I am making an appt to go see her soon.

I also forgot to mention 2-3 times a week I use Ketoconazole Shampoo 2% and Nizoral any other times I wash my hair that week But I have used this for the first month or two while using propecia and the shedding started two months after I began using propecia

your thoughts on if I should continue?

N0m@d

Reaction score
guitarxlife said:
my hair is shedding like crazy, currently on my third round of propecia (three months, about week till my 4th). my dermatologist says this is not normal.. I am shedding hair each time I shower and each time I run my hands through my hair numerous hairs come out. I am not sure if I should keep taking it and riding it or stop? I am making an appt to go see her soon.

I also forgot to mention 2-3 times a week I use Ketoconazole Shampoo 2% and Nizoral any other times I wash my hair that week But I have used this for the first month or two while using propecia and the shedding started two months after I began using propecia

your thoughts on if I should continue?

If I could wind the clocks back a year I don't even think about taking 5AR blockers... my body had a really bad response to these drugs and my achievement was just loosing 50% of my hairs in 6 month.

Be careful my friend one of the side effects or bad response of this drug is reflex hyperandrogenicity and it means your male pattern baldness gets really faster as long as you take them!!!

I don't wanna make you disappointed. maybe this is "initial shedding", But mine wasn't and the hairs never growths back!

Check your body for new things like excessive sebum production, more sweat, hair dandruff, scalp itch's and of course more shedding. those was my signs from HA. and they all gone after I stop taking dutasteride and start spironolactone.

guitarxlife

Reaction score
When I run my hands through my hair or use shampoo, I notice there are white bulbs attached to each hair. Does this say anything?

N0m@d

Reaction score
guitarxlife said:
When I run my hands through my hair or use shampoo, I notice there are white bulbs attached to each hair. Does this say anything?

Well if you mean roots sebum, it's not really unusual! but if you think this bulbs got thicker maybe it shows sebaceous glands become more active.

Check your nose,forehead and cheeks. my nose was stained from sebum in month 4-5!!!

guitarxlife

Reaction score
N0m@d said:
guitarxlife said:

Well if you mean roots sebum, it's not really unusual! but if you think this bulbs got thicker maybe it shows sebaceous glands become more active.

Check your nose,forehead and cheeks. my nose was stained from sebum in month 4-5!!!

did you shed on propecia? I'm kind of afraid to keep at this bc my derm said it is not normal to shed..have an appt on the 18th and I think I am going to keep going with this because it isn't too long until then- I've made this this far so I'm gonna keep going till that date. My hair has thinned so bad I'm just hoping there is gonna be some regrowth in the areas it has thinned/shed

N0m@d

Reaction score
guitarxlife said:
did you shed on propecia? I'm kind of afraid to keep at this bc my derm said it is not normal to shed..have an appt on the 18th and I think I am going to keep going with this because it isn't too long until then- I've made this this far so I'm gonna keep going till that date. My hair has thinned so bad I'm just hoping there is gonna be some regrowth in the areas it has thinned/shed

I had a terrible telogen effluvium after 8 weeks on finpecia and thats why I had Switched to Avodart! ( for fastest response)

Dermatologist knowledge is based on lab trials and in trials there is nothing about "initial shedding" or "hyperandrogenic". you just find this claims in post marketing reviews.

Of course drug needs at least 6 month to show its result but thats for some one who had no changes in hair condition. when you have a massive shed, well situation is a bit different.