DHT binding question

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
if it works like testosterone (I think it does), it enters the cell and causes expression of certain genes. It doesn't bind to the cells, it enters them. For how long? Wouldn't know..

foo2

Reaction score
SLD

To be slightly more accurate, DHT binds to Androgen receptors.

To my knowledge Androgen receptors are located on the outside of the cells and the binding is thought to illicit some kind of downstream response in the cells themselves. Although DHT can probably transferse cell membranes too, so perhaps binding occurs in the cell, but i've always learned about hormones binding to cell membrane bound proteins....

anyway, before i babble on, i think the actual time the DHT binds to AR is not totally relevent, as once binding has occured the downstream response is initiated.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: SLD

foo2 said:

To my knowledge Androgen receptors are located on the outside of the cells and the binding is thought to illicit some kind of downstream response in the cells themselves.

I believe they are nuclear receptors, that is used to transfer DHT into the nucleous. I don't do physiology, so I'll check up on this.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
SLD said:
When DHT binds to the hair root how long does it last?

I don't even understand the question. Can you be more specific?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Rage said:
foo2 said:

To my knowledge Androgen receptors are located on the outside of the cells and the binding is thought to illicit some kind of downstream response in the cells themselves.

I believe they are nuclear receptors, that is used to transfer DHT into the nucleous. I don't do physiology, so I'll check up on this.

Actually, I've seen androgen receptors referred to as BOTH cytoplasmic receptors AND "nuclear receptors". I think the precise description is that androgen receptors are proteins suspended in the cytoplasm; when DHT molecules (or other androgens) bind with the androgen receptor, they are then translocated into the nucleus, where the DHT/receptor complex binds with nuclear chromatin and begins the process of gene expression.

BTW, I'll mention this just for the sake of completeness: there is some evidence (see articles written about this by Farnsworth) that sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) can bind to a kind of "receptor" on the EXTERIOR membrane of prostate cells, and then a molecule of an androgen can come along and attach to THAT. The entire complex can apparently then influence cellular activities from the outside, although I'm not sure if it's the same effect as when androgens diffuse into the cell and stimulate gene expression in the well-known way. There's been some discussion in the hairloss forums about that phenomenon and whether or not the same thing happens in hair follicle cells, and whether that constitutes a sort of "external androgen receptor" that's distinct from the ones inside the cell.

Bryan

foo2

Reaction score
how much biochemical based research is based solely on hairloss?

you get the feeling from looking at research papers and drug company presentations that they're primarily researching for prostate stuff. the fact that finasteride or dutasteride has male pattern baldness side effects is very much regarded as a cash cow for the companies, and a side effect. the actual research totally focused on male pattern baldness seem rather low.

So who wants to create a start up? haha we'll make millions!

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score

Bryan said:
Actually, I've seen androgen receptors referred to as BOTH cytoplasmic receptors AND "nuclear receptors". I think the precise description is that androgen receptors are proteins suspended in the cytoplasm; when DHT molecules (or other androgens) bind with the androgen receptor, they are then translocated into the nucleus, where the DHT/receptor complex binds with nuclear chromatin and begins the process of gene expression.

BTW, I'll mention this just for the sake of completeness: there is some evidence (see articles written about this by Farnsworth) that sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) can bind to a kind of "receptor" on the EXTERIOR membrane of prostate cells, and then a molecule of an androgen can come along and attach to THAT. The entire complex can apparently then influence cellular activities from the outside, although I'm not sure if it's the same effect as when androgens diffuse into the cell and stimulate gene expression in the well-known way. There's been some discussion in the hairloss forums about that phenomenon and whether or not the same thing happens in hair follicle cells, and whether that constitutes a sort of "external androgen receptor" that's distinct from the ones inside the cell.

Bryan

good info :thumbs_up: