Dht inhibtion of 0.25mg finasteride?

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Any one no how much less the dht inhibition would be if you were to take 0.25mg per day as opposed to 1mg,Im assuming that it would 75% less but am i right?

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Surely then the high life of the drug with in your system would be quartered then,so it would only inhibit 66% of dht for the quarter of the time it would if you were on 1mg.
Dht inhibtion could not be the same on a quarter of the dose.That would mean that those on 1mg could take 0.25 and see the same results?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last blade said:
Surely then the high life of the drug with in your system would be quartered then,so it would only inhibit 66% of dht for the quarter of the time it would if you were on 1mg.

No, it doesn't work that way. Above an absolute minimum dose of around 0.05 to 0.1 mg/day (somewhere in that range), finasteride has a fairly "flat" dose-response curve.

Last blade said:
Dht inhibtion could not be the same on a quarter of the dose.That would mean that those on 1mg could take 0.25 and see the same results?

Yep, that's what it means. For many people, 0.25 mg/day would work nearly as well as a full 1.0 mg/day. Here's a scan of the "dose-ranging" study that Merck did before they released Propecia. It shows actual haircounts obtained with different doses of the drug. There's not all that much difference, once you get above that minimum effective dose:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/finasteride ... anging.htm

Bryan

G

Very interesting. However Bryan there must be difference somehow, cause I read a lot of guys saying that they were losing more hair after they had lowered their dose.

Cassin

Reaction score
cesim said:
Very interesting. However Bryan there must be difference somehow, cause I read a lot of guys saying that they were losing more hair after they had lowered their dose.

Right.

Look at the study. 66% success rate at .25 VS 86% with 1mg. So there will be a drop off. Albeit a small one considering the mcg %. Like I said before, it is not so much dose dependant, but it is a difference.

G

Since finasteride has a 12 hour half-life, wouldn't it be more effective if taken in 12 hour intevals rather than 24 hours. Say .5mg in the morning and .5 mg at night.

G

Since finasteride has a 12 hour half-life, wouldn't it be more effective if taken in 12 hour intevals rather than 24 hours. Say .5mg in the morning and .5 mg at night. Also, seems I think it may be worth it to cut my Proscar into 1/8's to save some $.