DHTsensitive's story - (age 26, Proscar newbie , pics)

DHTsensitive

Reaction score
I found these boards a month or so ago and they've really helped me in my quest to slow down (hopefully reverse!) my hair loss. Thanks to all who've posted their stories. It's only fair that I share my experiences thus far.

I've been losing my hair for about 9 years now, since I was 17 when my mom first commented on how thin my hair was looking. I thought I had until I was at least 30 to worry about balding :p I tried minoxidil in the past off and on and even tried something called Triaxon (buy on the Shopping Channel here in Canada) to no avail. My hairloss wasn't so noticeable until this past year when it seems to have really accelerated (I've always had really fine hair). I'm a diffuse thinner all on top with a receding hairline. I've attached some pics taken right after I got a hair cut when the hair is short and the scalp is most visible. I have no idea what Norwood I am. Any thoughts?

Since I didn't have a family doctor and after reading some posts I decided to give finasteride a try and buy from United Pharmacies. I bought the name brand propecia with "New Zealand" packaging figuring this would be better than the generic stuff. I ended up taking about 2 weeks worth of the pills when I noticed that the "Propecia" embossing on one side was sometimes upside down as compared with the P on the other side. (ie sometimes it matched up with the P orientation and sometimes it was upside down or even off centre). The last pill I took had what seemed to be a little fiber stuck to it. Obviously this didn't seem to be the quality of a genuine Merk product. Personally, I know that many guys swear by buying generics online and I'm sure that the generics supplied by Cipla are high quality, but you have no idea if you are actually getting what you think you are when buying from these online retailers. I also think that name brand Propecia is likely more highly counterfeited compared to the generic products since they are so cheap anyways. Scared because I had no idea what I've been putting into my body for the past 2 weeks, I bit the bullet and called up a GP in my area (Toronto area) accepting new patients and made an appointment. He was really nice and wrote me a prescription for Proscar (1/4 tab) daily with no problems. The cost was only $71 for 30 pills at Shoppers Drug Mart and since I'm cutting them into fifths (1mg finasteride/day) this will last me 5 months -which is only $14 per month!! Guys please see an actual doctor and get an actual prescription - finasteride does not have to be expensive. I have peace of mind now that I have the real deal.

I've been taking the pills for over a week now with no sides (besides nut ache for the first few days which is now gone). I've also started using Nizoral shampoo and minoxidil 2% at night. I'll likely try the 5% but since I can't buy that at the drug store here in Canada I'll get it online. Any reliable sources??

I'll post new pics every month or so and let you all know how I'm making out with the "Big 3". I hope it will halt the hairloss and even thicken up a bit.

cheers :)

[attachment=2:353dkwyi]1.JPG[/attachment:353dkwyi]
[attachment=1:353dkwyi]2.JPG[/attachment:353dkwyi]
[attachment=0:353dkwyi]3.JPG[/attachment:353dkwyi]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 1,395

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Proscar newbie - 26

Hey brother, I live in BC and they don't sell minoxidil over the counter. Ebay is where i get my foam. Good luck with everything.