Diavola's Story

Diavola

Reaction score
When I say documented, I mean pictures.

I'm a BDD sufferer, it was worse when I begun treatment on male pattern baldness, I did not have it or look to have it at the time. I used an array of treatment even including some treatments that are considered extreme (oral flut and oral spironolactone). Now I'm in a better condition and have my BDD in some sort of contro.

I realise I am classed as a nw1 most likely, first my issue was my hairline, which I dont like now but realise that may be my bdd.

My main issue is my thinning crown
http://w162.photobucket.com/pbwidge...ucket.com/albums/t268/gb0901a/me/9b035a60.pbw

This is documented from 2007 to current, obviously all the pictures since I have over 10000 stored are not on here, I just have ones that are similar.

Please be kind, I understand some are in worse position, but in my mind they are not.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Re: 2 years of documented treatment, 4 years of treatment in ful

I would say your crown has not gotten worse but I understand what you are saying about that area, in my book it just looks like a cowlick and probably unnoticable to the average person. Overall your hair looks fine and if anything you caught it early enough to where I don't think you will go bald anytime in the near future or look like it. :)

If you don't mind me asking, did you see any improvements on oral spironolactone such as thickening and did you experience any side effects?

Also, yeah watch out some people are going to be rude little #$%@s but that's them comparing themselves to your situation.

Diavola

Reaction score
Thanks Obsidian. I hope you're right. My dad was bald at 30. He began at 26, i suppose this has always been in the back of my mind aswell as some "traumatic" events occuring which caused my BDD.

I did notice the shafts of my hair that shed (normal shed) we're thicker after around 6 months on spironolactone, unfortunately sides came so I had to get off of it unless I wanted good ole man boobs

A

Administrator

So that everyone knows, "BDD" means Body Dysmorphia Disorder. This means that Diavola feels he has hair loss, even if he may not.

It's the same disorder that women who are not fat, think they are fat, and starve themselves to malnutrition as a result.

Given the fact that you have no visible hair loss, I am not quite sure what to say in response to this thread.

I am not clear on what reason you posted your photos, but maybe hearing some encouragement that you are not losing hair, will be helpful to you. Maybe not.

Admin

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey Daviola, as a person with BDD, I know how you feel. Rest assured you are not balding at this point but your "fear" of going bald as your father did at such an early age is definitely understandable. My dad went bald at 18 years old and I had always worried I would be in the same boat but never really seemed to be obsessed with my hair like you are now. Certain features about myself that kids made fun of become my obsession. It was mostly my acne and skinny legs and basically very high calves muscles( that make you look like you have turkey legs) that caused a lot of grief and isolation. Luckily I was able to keep my acne under control but my legs no matter how much I worked out could never look the way I wanted them to look. I would never take steroids and because of my genetics, my calves were inserted too high to ever look normal and my legs were just too long to even look huge. I have researched into calve implants but I don't like what I read about them and I saw the after pictures of some and was not impressed. I currently will not wear shorts ever and my complex about my legs has been impossible to overcome. I admire these people that wear shorts and have artificial metal legs( not the prosthetic legs that look like a real leg) My skin is great now but I have always wanted it to look as perfect as someone like Kiels. My hair has thinned over the years and I have been to a doctor to verify it. However, my obsession with it is so ridiculous that I have to check it out a hundred times a day in a mirror. If you feel your BDD is getting out of control, I would definitely seek professional help. I openly can admit I have BDD to mostly anyone. However, I wish I would make the time to get some professional help but I just have been procrastinating forever. I have not let it affect my career but my social life has suffered greatly. Just remember, the mirror is your worst enemy.

Diavola

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the encouragement. Really I post cause I believe there has been changes to my hair. But I came to really confirm or deny my claims and not really discuss bdd and that would be for bdd forums lol

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
You 2009 wet and 2009 dry pics looks really good.

The hair looks thick and healthy. I don't think you have male pattern baldness or if you do, you have done a great job keeping it from affecting your hair.

Keep up the good work! :punk:

Petchsky

Reaction score
Your 07 and 09 pics look the same to me. No discernible hairloss

A

Administrator

One good thing about most guys who start to lose hair: You wont wonder. It wont be a mystery. There isn't a period where yo'ure like "Hmmmm". At least for most. A lot of guys quite honestly suddenly start itching, tingling, and scratching the hell out of their enflamed scalp, while simultaneously seeing their pillow covered in hair and drains getting clogged in the shower. Its not usually an elusive process. Yes, many guys lose hair very slowly but one thing is for sure - you will know it when its happening. You wont wonder.

Admin

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the OP has thicker hair than most women—no disrespect. Perhaps another case of BDD.

Diavola

Reaction score
Can I just add I have jus recently shaved my head to a number 3.

I was shocked, I didn't expect to see so much scalp.

utf-8BSU1HMDMzNDQtMjAwOTA0MTYtMTAyN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDMzMTgtMjAwOTA0MTYtMDkwN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDI2MzgtMjAwOTA0MDQtMTkyN.jpg

Also I would like to know about the armed forces. I've applied in hope maybe it will help me move on quicker, they have regular drug tests, will I have to stop propecia/dutasteride cause of these tests?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
i know how you feel mate

IMO i little toppik on your crown would cover and camouflage your scalp

i dont know about the military and finasteride/dutasteride usage

cheers mate

Diavola

Reaction score
Toppik woul probably be a huge mistake for me. Jus can't understand why treatment has not done anything even when starting 4 years ago when there was no crown loss or recession!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
why would toppik be a huge mistake to use?

it would conceal your scalp on your vertex and works very well on concealing the crown

maybe your genetics are stronger than the treatments

is male pattern baldness common in your family and what age did it happen to the members

your on a pretty rigorous regiment for your minimum loss
but i know where your coming from
your loss is being amplified with your condition

but even if you do "thicken the crown" wouldn't you just notice something else to obsess about

cheers mate