Didn't Realize How Bad My Hair Is Getting

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 23 now. I started losing my hair when I was 19, and jumped on treatment within 6 months. male pattern baldness runs in my family (dad is balding, started in 30s though). Other than my dad everyone in my family has full heads of hair (or close to it). Both my older brothers (2 and 4 years older) have no hair loss. Got super unlucky getting this gene from who knows where.
So I've been on finasteride for nearly 3 years. Have been on minoxidil the whole time as well, except went off it a few months because I don't think it is doing anything. I originally applied minoxidil on my crown and hairline. Now I only use it on the hairline. Still don't think its doing anything though.Also used nizoral on and off. Since starting treatment my hairline has continued to recede. I am at around a NW3 hairline. I still have an intact crown (as there is no bald spot there).
I knew my hairline was continuing to recede, but I didn't realize how bad my hair has been shedding all over my head. I used to have insane hair density, but now my hair looks like absolute garbage with any amount of light over me. My hair also looks super thin now when wet. I feel like I've lost like 80% of my hair. When starting treatment I honestly thought my hair would have improved slightly from where I was at. I would have even been happy with keeping the hair I had, but I guess things don't always go as you expect. I am freaking out about this and don't know what to do. Do you guys think I should give dutasteride a go? Do you think it will still fail if finasteride did? I am kind of worried about dutasteride because of the permanent side effects it can have, but I really don't want to lose my hair.

Last edited:

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
As silly as it sounds, sometimes hair loss can sneak up on you. I started buzzing my head in my mid 20's. I didn't notice I was almost nw6 until I saw the top of my head on a video. I jumped on treatments shortly after.

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 23 now. I started losing my hair when I was 19, and jumped on treatment within 6 months. male pattern baldness runs in my family (dad is balding, started in 30s though). Other than my dad everyone in my family has full heads of hair (or close to it). Both my older brothers (2 and 4 years older) have no hair loss. Got super unlucky getting this gene from who knows where.
So I've been on finasteride for nearly 3 years. Have been on minoxidil the whole time as well, except went off it a few months because I don't think it is doing anything. I originally applied minoxidil on my crown and hairline. Now I only use it on the hairline. Still don't think its doing anything though.Also used nizoral on and off. Since starting treatment my hairline has continued to recede. I am at around a NW3 hairline. I still have an intact crown (as there is no bald spot there).
I knew my hairline was continuing to recede, but I didn't realize how bad my hair has been shedding all over my head. I used to have insane hair density, but now my hair looks like absolute garbage with any amount of light over me. My hair also looks super thin now when wet. I feel like I've lost like 80-90% of my hair. When starting treatment I honestly thought my hair would have improved slightly from where I was at. I would have even been happy with keeping the hair I had, but I guess things don't always go as you expect. I am freaking out about this and don't know what to do. Do you guys think I should give dutasteride a go? Do you think it will still fail if finasteride did? I am kind of worried about dutasteride because of the permanent side effects it can have, but I really don't want to lose my hair.
If the loss is that aggressive, from that young of an age, it is going to be a massive uphill climb. I don't think meds at this point will do anything, unfortunately. You need to see if you're a viable transplant candidate.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
If the loss is that aggressive, from that young of an age, it is going to be a massive uphill climb. I don't think meds at this point will do anything, unfortunately. You need to see if you're a viable transplant candidate.
I am not getting a transplant. No way in hell I can afford that anytime in the near future, and I don't think I would do it anyway. If I even regrew what I have lost over the last year I'd be pumped. Don't think dutasteride would make a difference?

Kris89

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you won't have a transplant your options are limited to duta. It may work. I've heard of some people who responded well to duta after finasteride couldn't hold back their hair loss. However, it may also not work. If you've not had any side effects from finasteride I say try duta for 6 months and see. In that time, start putting money aside for a transplant down the line. Even if it takes you years to save, it may be the only way you'll be able to solve this problem.

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I heard on another forum that I sometimes visit that the cure is only 5 years away, so you could just wait.

brohawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, dutasteride could very well make a difference for you. It inhibits all 3 5a-R types rather than finasteride's 2 (II & III), and those 2 more effectively than finasteride can anyway. You may also be more sensitive to type I, thus why you're still losing on finasteride. Ignore the fearmongers and their "permanent sides" b.s. and give it a go.