Difference between DHT and androgen receptors?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my lame question, but due to language barriers I don't fully understand the difference between a drug inhibiting DHT and a drug being anti-androgen.

Please explain to me what anit-androgen means... :oops:

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DHT inhibitor (more accurately a 5ar inhibitor): A drug that inhibits the 5ar enzyme (this enzyme is responsible for converting testosterone into DHT).

Androgen Receptor blocker: A drug that prevents androgens (such as DHT) from BINDING to the androgen receptor.

To give you an overall picture:

The main known factor that causes Androgenetic Alopecia is DHT. Free roaming testosterone infuses into hair follicles cells from the bloodstream. The 5ar enzyme then converts the testosterone into DHT. The DHT (along with any other androgen) binds to the androgen receptor which then signals the cell nucleus of the presents of androgens. The cell nucleus then "expresses" certain genetic code that has a negative effect on the growth of the hair follicle; The hair follicle atrophies and, eventually, dies permanently.

BTW, the only "lame" question is the question that isnt asked. There is nothing to be ashamed about when trying to understand the male pattern baldness process! I asked the same questions when I was new to this.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
socks said:
DHT inhibitor (more accurately a 5ar inhibitor): A drug that inhibits the 5ar enzyme (this enzyme is responsible for converting testosterone into DHT).

Androgen Receptor blocker: A drug that prevents androgens (such as DHT) from BINDING to the androgen receptor.

To give you an overall picture:

The main known factor that causes Androgenetic Alopecia is DHT. Free roaming testosterone infuses into hair follicles cells from the bloodstream. The 5ar enzyme then converts the testosterone into DHT. The DHT (along with any other androgen) binds to the androgen receptor which then signals the cell nucleus of the presents of androgens. The cell nucleus then "expresses" certain genetic code that has a negative effect on the growth of the hair follicle; The hair follicle atrophies and, eventually, dies permanently.

BTW, the only "lame" question is the question that isnt asked. There is nothing to be ashamed about when trying to understand the male pattern baldness process! I asked the same questions when I was new to this.

Thanks for the answer, I think I understand now: Proscar blocks the conversion TO DHT and anti-androgen blocks the BINDING of DHT to receptors.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
But do anti-androgen drugs also block the binding of (all) other hormones to receptors and if so isn't that a bad thing?

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Buffboy said:
But do anti-androgen drugs also block the binding of (all) other hormones to receptors and if so isn't that a bad thing?

That's exactly right. That's why few people use internal anti-androgens to fight hairloss. Most people who use anti-androgens to combat male pattern baldness use them TOPICALLY. For example, if you were to use spironolactone internally, you would be at a high risk of developing gynecomastia or sexual problems, but if you use it in the form of a cream or lotion that you apply to your scalp, you almost certainly won't develop any complications.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Buffboy said:

No, only androgens, and only to androgen receptors. At least, that's all they're SUPPOSED to do. Sometimes they'll have mixed effects, but a so-called "pure" antiandrogen will by definition only block androgens from androgen receptors.

Bryan