Differences Between Brands Of Minoxidil

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive only just started using minoxidil about 6 weeks ago.
Im just curious about other peoples experiences using different brands and having different results (im not meaning comparision of foam to liquid).
I ask because they vary so much in price, and I do realise some of it is to do with being well known brands etc, but is there really any difference between them?
I am using a 5% liquid, Foligain brand. And its only $31 for 3 months supply which seems pretty cheap compared to others. So just curious if any long time users have noticed some to be more effective than others dispite all having the same active?

resu

Reaction score
Foligain is good, Kirkland on ebay seems it has been tainted with or is expired. Rogain you have to pay for the brand name (as in repay the cost of the ads). Boutique minoxidil just has a bunch of extra ingredients or no PG.

givemeregrowth

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Foligain is good, Kirkland on ebay seems it has been tainted with or is expired. Rogain you have to pay for the brand name (as in repay the cost of the ads). Boutique minoxidil just has a bunch of extra ingredients or no PG.

Why do you think kirkland from ebay is bad?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i recently bought kirkland directly from the costco website. was very cheap. ive been using it for a few weeks and i cant detect any difference compared to rogaine, except that its 5x cheaper.

the dropper is slightly worse quality than the rogaine dropper so im using the rogaine dropper in the kirkland bottle.

beaner

Reaction score
Why do you think kirkland from ebay is bad?

Kirkland on Ebay is not bad regardless of what is said here. I've been using it for a decade or more. Minoxidil turns yellowish after a while and is completely normal. Name brand Rogaine is often yellowish as well.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
but why ever buy kirkland on ebay rather than directly from costco... unless youre not in the USA.

in any case i wish i started with kirkland sooner. so much cheaper than rogaine.

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... interesting to know... I was actually kinda worried about the brand I brought since it was so cheap and because I couldnt find much info on the maker either. Im going through the shedding atm which isnt fun but ive got my fingers crossed lol

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Kirkland minoxidil from ebay got me from NW3 to NW1.5 in 3months.
Just curious, did your hairline look like you were going backwards before and progress? Its thinned mine out a bit. Im about NW2 and its gotten worse obviously with the shedding. Hoping regrowth will come soon! I can only see a couple of new tiny hairs so far but not sure if its just miniturised ones or new growth.
Also are you using once or twice a day?

Last edited:

givemeregrowth

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just curious, did your hairline look like you were going backwards before and progress? Its thinned mine out a bit. Im about NW2 and its gotten worse obviously with the shedding. Hoping regrowth will come soon! I can only see a couple of new tiny hairs so far but not sure if its just miniturised ones or new growth.
Also are you using once or twice a day?

Maybe a bit but I'm not sure because i used to shave my hair no-guard when i was higher Norwood and i never lost any hair on front just on temples.I'm using it twice a day.

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe a bit but I'm not sure because i used to shave my hair no-guard when i was higher Norwood and i never lost any hair on front just on temples.I'm using it twice a day.
Oh ok, I have longish hair so the shedding is quite noticeable in the hairline when I pull it back. Im hoping im a good responder, I have no intention of ever starting on finasteride so this along with the other things im doing are my last try until something new comes out.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one mentioned Minoxidilmax ?
My experience is theirs seem to be yellowish in appearance, and more 'sticky' than Rogaine (the only other I can draw comparison with), so much that it almost feels as though I had been using styling gel. I couldn't comment on the effectiveness, as Minoxidil alone never had much impact on me before adding Finasteride.

SpaceInvader

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about Polaris NR10? It has 16% minoxidil, 0.1 % finasteride, and other ingredients like collagen.

Anyone with experience? Is this stuff better for your skin because of the collagen, or still the same sides as regular minoxidil?