Differences between finasteride/Min shed

Reaction score
Anybody have any insight on the difference between a finasteride shed vs a min shed in terms of timeframe/severity. I'm aware that it is different for every individual but just curious about other people's experiences.

I noticed that I had been losing a lot of hair, went to the doctor and he prescribed finasteride. I ordered Rogaine Foam last week, so I'm about to have both of them but I'm debating about when to start. I'm nervous because I know that the typical initial shedding phase can take place over the first 2-4 months. I'm going to be going home for the holidays at the end of December, so I'm debating about whether to start now and risk going home to see my family and being right in the middle of a bad shed. I'm considering just waiting until Jan 1 to start everything. Any advice?

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
stanleysteamer said:
Anybody have any insight on the difference between a finasteride shed vs a min shed in terms of timeframe/severity. I'm aware that it is different for every individual but just curious about other people's experiences.

I noticed that I had been losing a lot of hair, went to the doctor and he prescribed finasteride. I ordered Rogaine Foam last week, so I'm about to have both of them but I'm debating about when to start. I'm nervous because I know that the typical initial shedding phase can take place over the first 2-4 months. I'm going to be going home for the holidays at the end of December, so I'm debating about whether to start now and risk going home to see my family and being right in the middle of a bad shed. I'm considering just waiting until Jan 1 to start everything. Any advice?

Well, I can give you my experience with minoxidil and nizoral, I started finasteride 3 weeks ago so I'm gonna have to get back to you on that (if it turns out to work at all).

I never experienced a shed on minoxidil alone. I'm a NW3 with diffuse thinning, and what happened was that my hair just got gradually thicker, stronger and darker. After 2 months I had very nice results. But then it seemed to start to get worse again, lost a bit of color, thickness etc. Around the 3 month 1 week mark it kicked into action again, which lasted for maybe 2-3 weeks, before it got worse again. It seems to have stabilized, dunno why. I've been on minoxidil for a little longer than 5 months now, and for the past month+ it's been the way it is now, pretty much. Better than baseline, but far from as good as it was at one point.

I'm hoping the finasteride can help me.