Diffuse Thinner's Thread! Treatments, Experiences.

secrethero89

Reaction score
Hi all diffuse thinners.
We are a little bit different than male pattern baldness(i tihnk). Some of the treatments may not work or may work better on diffuse thinning.
Please keep this thread alive and share your experiences on diffuse thinning...

Thanks all!

BlackSheep

Established Member
Reaction score
I already have a thread chronicling my actual hair loss detail but a run-through;

Began with scalp itch Nov 2011 while staying up late working and eating rubbish, did nothing about it for some months.
Saw doctor 1, was suggested tea tree shampoo, worked a bit then I stopped prematurely, itch returned.
Saw doctor 2, was suggested nizoral, worked, noticed my hair was getting dry, I stopped prematurely, itch returned.
Saw doctor 3, was suggested coal tar shampoo, worked, ditto hair drying, stopped prematurely, itch returned.
Had a haircut and summer approached so itch slowly subsided but stuck around.
Had a short haircut in July 2012 after very stressful month, noticed I had diffuse hair loss for first time.
Itch returned a month later, scalp red and inflamed usually. Saw doctor 4 that month, told me it was "male pattern balding".
Itch became worse when returned for uni and winter approached, noticed hair was being lost at a faster rate than usual.
Saw doctor 5, told me I had male pattern balding and I should just try Head and Shoulders and put up with it, did nothing.
Saw doctor 6, said he saw scaling, recommended I use steroid drops, they did nothing whatsoever.
Saw doctor 7, told him sternly I don't have the actual pattern for male pattern baldness, he was surprised and remarked I likely have seborrheic dermatitis or mild folliculitis based on the itch preceding the hair loss, referred to dermatologist (still waiting, bloody NHS). Told me to not do any self-treatment so derm can see extent of problem.

I've ignored doctor 7's recommendation after the itch got bad. I got myself a buzzcut, began using my own regime (coal tar 5 min -> nizoral 5 min every 3 days, selsun in-between), fixed up my sleep pattern and diet as much as I can.

Right now, my scalp is pearl-white once more (no redness), I'm barely flaking, my hair feels thick and I'm barely losing hair anymore. Right now, I'm just letting nature take it's course, carrying on with life, keeping my hair very short for the next few months, and tracking the progress with you all in my thread. That's where we are right now.