Diffuse Thinning & 26 (with Pics)

Terp03

Reaction score
Back in September I had an extremely emotional breakup with my gf and started graduate school around the same time. Pretty stressful situation to say the least. Anyway, a few months later I notice the front of my hairline begin to thin as well as the crown and back. The back was the most stunning since it was very thick just as recently as August and used to be very poofy, as well as the rest of my hair, but thinned very fast. I'm not sure what caused such rapid, diffuse thinning but I've been shedding a lot more hairs in the shower and when styling my hair since then. It's pretty depressing and causing me to freak out/stress more about it. It's now mid-January and I feel like I've lost a ton of density when I first noticed the hair loss back in October. You can see through my scalp when looking in the mirror through the hairline which scares the crap out of me. I just don't know how I lost so much hair in such a small timeframe. My hairline hasn't receded much, at least from what I can tell, during these last few months, but the thinning is all over the scalp (including sides and back). I just don't know if something else is at hand since I thought balding is a long process and not something that happens as dramatic as this in just a few months. Not sure if it's Telogen Effluvium, male pattern baldness, or both.

I've noticed hairs fall out there were thinner at the base than they were at the tip as well as finer strands which indicate miniaturization. More hair shows up in my hands when I shower than in the summer. Some of the strands in my hairline are finer and have a copper/blonde tint instead of dark brown. I'll run my hands through my hair and at least 3-4 strands will fall out each time. I went to one of those laser hair centers since they have a free consultation (only because they have the advanced microscopic equipment) and the guy did indicate some miniaturization and that I'm in the very early stages of balding. He said I should take Saw Palmetto and buy a LaserComb. Now after reading these boards it seems like I should get on the Big 3 instead (isn't the LaserComb a waste of money?). I already have 2% Nizoral from a previous bout of seborrheic dermatitis a couple of years ago that I've been using every third day. I have a prescription from my GP for Propecia but I'm seeing a dermatologist tomorrow to get a second opinion and see what she thinks. Just wanted to get some advice around here on what I should do. I'm a little reluctant to start Rogaine just because of the twice-day application for the rest of my life since I'm only 26, but thoughts/opinions are welcome. Also kind of scared of taking finasteride after reading about all the sides users experience (libido, ED, depression, etc) as well as the sheds. I'll see what the dermatologist says and then fill my prescription for Propecia and start taking it. I just want to thicken up my hairline/crown/back to what it used to be. I hope it's not too late…

I've attached some pictures. I know I'll get some flack since it looks like I have a head full of hair and all but believe me when I say it used to be a lot thicker just as recently as August/September. Also, I stopped taking an anti-depressant for over six years this past June and read that withdrawal symptoms include hair loss. I'm still awaiting blood tests from my GP to see if anything else is out of wack. I'm pretty skinny (6'2", 165lbs) but lift weights once a week and do cardio 1-2 times a week. Anyway let me know what you think since there seems to be some good opinions on here, thanks!

FYI - Pics were taken with hair gelled on the front/top, not in the back, and were shot with a flash

Hair001.jpg

Hair006.jpg

Hair008.jpg

Hair002.jpg

Hair004.jpg

Hair005.jpg

Hair009.jpg

Hair010.jpg

Hair013.jpg

Hair015.jpg

alkulk

Established Member
Reaction score
You've got still quite a good hairline - probably you'll have success with the big 3.

Terp03

Reaction score
So I just got back from the dermatologist and she said I should go on Rogaine for a year and see if that works. She said there wouldn't be any sides compared to if I started Propecia. I don't know... my plan was to start taking Propecia then take Rogaine down the road since I still have a good amount of hair left and Rogaine is a lifetime commitment (as well as Propecia) but a pill seems easier than applying foam twice daily (plus I'm afraid of the sheds people mention). She said she would only put me on Propecia if I had visible balding, which I don't. I'm pretty confused on what to do... what do you guys think?

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd try finasteride and see if it gives you side effects or not. Nizoral would be easy and cheap so you might as well use that as your shampoo some days.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
still got a lot of hair, big 3 will help you get your density back.

Terp03

Reaction score
oyo said:
I'd try finasteride and see if it gives you side effects or not. Nizoral would be easy and cheap so you might as well use that as your shampoo some days.

Is it dangerous to try Propecia if I'm only 26... am I too young for it? The sides are what scare me the most but I'm already suffering from low libido due to depression and PSSD. Just don't know what route to take (finasteride vs Rogaine, or both)... and if I do take Rogaine, what is recommended - liquid or foam?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just wanted to say i am 26 too and have been on propecia for almost 2 weeks now. i too was afraid of sides. i got blood drawn before i started, so my pre-finasteride hormone levels are on file in case i need them. i have experienced no side effects whatsoever, nothing. no ball ache, no watery semen, nothing. i'll try to give it at least 6 months to a year and ride out any sheds.

anyway my personal opinion is for the majority of users there are no sides, and fair to moderate maintenance/regrowth. and for the unlucky percent that do suffer bad sides, they will dissapear after cessation of finasteride. i do think a very small number of people can have a very bad experience, and i think Merck should do more to help these people.

Unfortunately im a bit further along than you hairwise, you still have quite a bit left!

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Heh. I'm also 26 and diffuse and have depression. That is the reason i have not been using finasteride (did not cause libido problems for me but did seem make me more passive, and not worth that risk now).

I don't think you really need minoxidil yet, and it isn't effective at stopping further loss. I've been using topical antiandrogenic treatment.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hm, i realized my regimine doesn't show up when hovering. i'll copy it:

recently started:
once a day:
5% minoxidil with 10mg finasteride per bottle and peppermint oil
lef's version of proxn
basic lavendar shampoo with apple and green tea extract and caffiene.

on days i work out and take an extra shower i use nizoral. i use paul mitchel tea tree oil conditioner after shampooing, don't wash it out.

orally 2g taurine, 3g total epa/dha (fish oil), 750mg alcar, 1000 IU of vit D3. plus some other stuff i take that has a lot probability of helping but is worth it for other reasons like creatine.

want to use PO ginger shampoo once i make a green tea/apple/lavender topical that isn't noticable. Also want to get white cucurmin in there too.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
as far as being effective i don't expect to notice anything from tne antiandrogenic stuff, just slowing/stopping further loss. I think i've noticed slight increase in small terminal hairs at my hairline. nothing to write home about.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
consistency is the key

Terp03

Reaction score
So does starting finasteride (and nizoral) sound like the concensus around here? I need to do something soon since I'm getting anxiety issues from this

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Terp03 said:
So does starting finasteride (and nizoral) sound like the concensus around here? I need to do something soon since I'm getting anxiety issues from this

u dont need minoxidil at the moment, finasteride alone will thicken up your hair nicely.

Terp03

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
Terp03 said:

u dont need minoxidil at the moment, finasteride alone will thicken up your hair nicely.

Cool, thanks Demon... would it help thicken up the front as well as the sides and back? Also, is generic finasteride safe? Reason I'm asking is because Propecia was 77 frickin dollars at the pharmacy and that's way too much $$$. What would you recommend between Finpecia (Cipla) and Finax (Dr Reddys)? I'd cut up Proscar but I'm too lazy.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Terp03 said:
RaginDemon said:
Terp03 said:

Cool, thanks Demon... would it help thicken up the front as well as the sides and back? Also, is generic finasteride safe? Reason I'm asking is because Propecia was 77 frickin dollars at the pharmacy and that's way too much $$$. What would you recommend between Finpecia (Cipla) and Finax (Dr Reddys)? I'd cut up Proscar but I'm too lazy.

your frontal section is not noticeablly thinner, so I think it will do great. I use Propecia, I havent tried any of the generic versions, but I think they all work the same!

Terp03

Reaction score
I was using Saw Palmetto for a couple of weeks and it gave me testicle pain (discontinued yesterday). Would that mean I'm susceptible to finasteride's side effects since it's more potent? I'm afraid to get on finasteride after reading a lot of negative posts and the sides that go with it.... I could try finasteride for a couple of months but don't want to be one of those cases where it could cause lingering if not permanent sides. Then again, I don't want to be losing hair either! I just don't understand how I'm experiencing thinning hair when I have like 10 chest hairs and can barely grow facial hair. I just need to do something since it's driving me crazy.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
dont your non sense treatment, its big 3 or u will be bald.