Diffusion Guy's Story - (updated pics 1-12)

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been lurking the last couple of weeks and decided to register due to the level of support this group gives each other.

My story has been told a million times as I've read through the posts, so I'll just sum it up.
I'm in my mid thirties, and have I guess what is being called diffusion hairloss.
In the past (late twenties) I took propecia for about 3 years with decent results in maintaining what I had.
I stopped using it about 3 years ago and over the last year and a half my hair started thinning really bad.
Seeing some of the success folks have been having with rogaine foam, I just picked some up last week and was suprised that It's a breeze to put on.
I'm hoping for the best, but I'm trying to be realistic in my expectations.
I've already taken the buzzer to the head and keep it really short. Growing out isn't an option any more because it is so thin. It looks ridiculous when I let it go too long. The good news is the money I save on haircuts pays for the minoxidil :)
Overall, I don't mind the buzz cut as my head is pretty even (a little round but whatever), the only thing I really worry about is that I also have to deal with psoriasis. Since buzzing my hair, I only have minor outbreaks on the back of my scalp at the moment, but in the past, I had some really bad outbreaks on top of my head that could come back at any time.
The irony lies in that I was taking a drug (soriataine) to help w/ my psoraisis and one of the side effects is shedding of hair.
Since I was losing hair and my psoriasis was not improving, I stopped taking the soriataine after a few months. I've been off the drug now for about a year.but alas the hair did not come back.

Anyway, that me in a nutshell.

Here are a few newbie questions I hope that some folks won't mind answering (yes I searched :)) -
1) What Norwood would you say I am.?
2) Is it possible to get propecia w/o a prescription? I have an appt w/ my dermatologist, but he couldn't see me before January and would rather start up again earlier than later.
3)Is anyone else's wife in more denial than you are about your hair loss?
Thanks in advance!

PS- the larger pic of the top of my head was taken directly under light. Any good tips to taking down the shine? lol

Attachments

• head 2.jpg
    head 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,702
G

Re: Glad to find this forum

DiffusionGuy said:
Here are a few newbie questions I hope that some folks won't mind answering (yes I searched :)) -
2) Is it possible to get propecia w/o a prescription? I have an appt w/ my dermatologist, but he couldn't see me before January and would rather start up again earlier than later.
Thanks in advance!
1. You are still a Norwood 1.5, the Norwood scale doesn´t work for diffusers.
2. Yes, at Internet pharmacies
3. Well, I am not married and no woman wants to date me :jackit: , but my mother and sister also claim that my hair is not thin :roll:

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

Taugenichts said:

I tried a couple and could have swear each of them required a RX # (it was a while ago)
If anyone has a link of a favorite place that ships to the U.S., I would be very grateful.

Thanks for the reply

EDIT- Think I found it
http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Taugenichts said:
DiffusionGuy said:
Thanks in advance!
1. You are still a Norwood 1.5, the Norwood scale doesn´t work for diffusers.
3. Well, I am not married and no woman wants to date me :jackit: , but my mother and sister also claim that my hair is not thin :roll:

His hairline seems to be intact actually. He is a diffusive thinner.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score
Re: Diffusion Guys Story-36 yrs old- Just starting finasteride + Foam

Just updating my thread-

I ordered fincar from united pharmacy.

Wish me luck

BTW- No noticeable side effects from the Rogaine Foam so far after 1 week (knock on wood).
I have my Doctor. appt next Monday and I will be discussing levothyroxine for my hypothyroidism and the possiblity it is speeding up my hair loss.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

GL bro!

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

Well,

I ordered finasteride' from united pharmacies 4 days ago.
No confirmation email
no replies to the my follow up emails.

This usual?

RaginDemon

Reaction score

many have bought from them with great experience, I hope its just a temporary thing.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score
Re: Diffusion Guy's Story - (Age 36, just starting finasteride + Foam)

update-

They charged my CC.
Still no response to additional emails

RaginDemon

Reaction score

DiffusionGuy said:
update-

They charged my CC.

do they have a number you can call?

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:
DiffusionGuy said:
update-

They charged my CC.

do they have a number you can call?

No need, it came today!
:bravo:

RaginDemon

Reaction score

nice, GL on your treatment bro!

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

** UPDATE **

So I went to the Doctor to get my thyroid levels tested to see if I needed a change to my Levothyroxine dosage.
I asked my Doctor about the hairloss and the possibility of Levothyroxine causing the diffusion, and she just smirked at me and said lets make sure the thyroid levels are ok before we talk about switching meds.

Anyway, the blood work came back and my thyroid levels are fine.
Here is the surprise; while I was being examined, I mentioned that I recently started feeling a warm tingly sensation in my calf.
She said she would check my blood for B-12 deficiency.
Sure enough, the bloodwork came back with a deficiency, I now need to go in for monthly injections.

I did some research and I found this-

Lack of Nutrition

Iron deficiency, which leads to the reduction of the number of red blood cells in a condition called anemia, can also cause general thinning of the hair. Zinc deficiency, often accompanied by skin diseases such as psoriasis, can also lead to hair loss and diffuse loss of hair. Vitamin B12 deficiency, commonly found in vegetarians because plant-derived food do not have this vitamin, can also be responsible.

The good news is that hair loss due to lack of nutrition is often the easiest to treat - providing nutrition either directly to your hair or through diet can help stop hair loss and restore hair growth.tm

What do you guys think? Is this plausible?
Man, between the thyroid for life meds and the possibility of b12 shots for life i would hope something would go my way :badmood:

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Iron deficiency might cause hair loss, it could have been the cause of your problem. If that is indeed the cause, you are lucky and you will most likely get all your hair back.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

Well, as I have stated earlier-
i wont get my hopes up too much.
But after dealing with thyroid issues, psoriasis, and now possibly anemia, it would be nice if I got thrown a bone :whistle:

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Well GL and I hope the condition of your hair will be improved soon!

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:

Thanks man-

Seriously, I think your the only one who reads my thread, lol :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score

DiffusionGuy said:
RaginDemon said:

Thanks man-

Seriously, I think your the only one who reads my thread, lol :)

I try my best to provide some help to others before I go to bed... I think its good karma lol

well we are all in the same boats, we all know how painful it is to deal with this bullshit.

GL brotha!

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score

Others read it too Im sure
But Ragin gives all the good advice so there is little extra to add to it :)
And Good Luck man!

RaginDemon

Reaction score

bobs said:
Others read it too Im sure
But Ragin gives all the good advice so there is little extra to add to it :)
And Good Luck man!

Thanks man, I learned from others myself. It's a great place to learn and get some emotional support.

:)