Do grafts all start growing at the same time?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a few days over 3 months post-op now, 1,500 FUT in the temples, front hairline, and some top filling in.

The grafts are growing hairs now, with most being about 1/4" are so long. But the density doesn't seem to be quite what I'd hoped for.

Do the grafts all start growing at once? That is, is what I see now what I'm going to get?

Or can I expect more grafts to "sprout" hairs over the coming months?

What percentage of grafts typically grow hairs?

theanimator

Reaction score
I'm almost a little suprised your doctor didn't tell you what to expect. 3 months is just the start, so there should still be a lot more hair to grow. Look through some hairloss blogs and you can see that the difference between 3 months and 6 months is almost night and day. I'd guess that you can expect more "Sprouts" over the next 6 months and for the babies to grow long and thick. Everyone says to wait at least 9 months or maybe even a year to see full results.

Each hair has a different growth and resting cycle...so they most likely won't all grown in at once.

I remember reading a study that Dr. Keene and Dr. Shapiro did where they checked the survival rate of graft hairs, from 1 to 4 follical grafts. The 1's and 2's had the highest percentage of survival while the 3's and 4's had about a 15%-20% less chance. Overall I think the average survival rate was something like 85%.....this is just from memory...I'll try to find the study and post it.

So, just wait...now the real fun begins...watching those sprouts grow!

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
theanimator said:
I'm almost a little suprised your doctor didn't tell you what to expect. 3 months is just the start, so there should still be a lot more hair to grow. Look through some hairloss blogs and you can see that the difference between 3 months and 6 months is almost night and day. I'd guess that you can expect more "Sprouts" over the next 6 months and for the babies to grow long and thick. Everyone says to wait at least 9 months or maybe even a year to see full results.

That's GREAT to hear!

Thinking back, he did tell me "don't expect cosmetically significant results for at least nine months," but at the time I thought that was just because it'd take that long for the hairs to darken and become terminal. He told me they'd start out as baby fine hairs, and gradually thicken over the months.

But the ones I see are dark already, so I worried "aha, we skipped the baby hair stage, and this must be all I'm gonna get!" Although it's quite possible I'm just not noticing the super-fine ones too.

Either way, thank you so much for the encouragement! What a miracle this all is, ya know?