Do I dare try saw palmetto?

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Around a month ago I bought a bottle of saw palmetto. Say what you want about it, I decided that I would try it out myself and see if I saw an improvement or side effects, etc. especially since there are 2-3 studies showing albeit slight/moderate success.
However, I haven't dared to even try the first bottle after reading some forums about people shedding a lot from SP. Will a shed really be that horrible? And are they impossible to recover from? For example if I quit the SP or just continue?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most likely the saw palmetto will give you miniscule benefits and miniscule side effects.

I would consider real treatments.

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most likely the saw palmetto will give you miniscule benefits and miniscule side effects.

I would consider real treatments.

While I appreciate your advice, I am simply asking regarding the shedding. Miniscule benefits are fine for me, if it works even a little bit that'd be great before I eventually get on finasteride.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hej, I think the shedding should be minimal. Saw palmaretto is too weak to give you some real hardcore shed

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you even chance saw palmetto. Take finasteride instead EOD

Why do you bother responding to the thread if you aren't going to address the question being asked? I clearly stated, twice, that I didn't want to discuss whether or not SP is good for hair loss. I have read 3 studies implying there is a possibility for moderate success with the drug. As I don't want to start finasteride at this moment it's either adding SP to my regimen or nothing.
Seriously; why do people on these forums insist on ignoring subjects at hand simply to promote finasteride and minoxidil? We all know they work and provide the best results, they are FDA approved for God's sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Hej, I think the shedding should be minimal. Saw palmaretto is too weak to give you some real hardcore shed

Thanks for the response, I might try it out then.

g.i joey

Reaction score
You're taking the same risk using saw palmetto and guaranteeing yourself minimal success if that.. ok be an idiot, risk getting sides while almost guaranteeing yourself no success, smart man you are.

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're taking the same risk using saw palmetto and guaranteeing yourself minimal success if that.. ok be an idiot, risk getting sides while almost guaranteeing yourself no success, smart man you are.

How can I have an EQUAL chance of side effects when SP is LESS potent than finasteride? If side effects and potency aren't correlated, why do people LOWER their doses of finasteride when starting to get side effects? For the same reason you don't take spironolactone orally without becoming a female. Holy **** the hostility in this forum. Regarding me being a "smart man", thank you, yes I have a mensa membership.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some hair loss shampoos that have saw palmetto extract in it...might help.

Yes, I know. That is, however, not the aim of my thread. But for the record: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298508, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26010505, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Last I heard finasteride has a flat dose response rate and most people who lower dosage due to sides never have remission of side effects completely

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've taken both SP and finasteride. I'll tell you, SP does nothing..in terms of side effects, hair loss, hair growth.

It's like taking a sugar pill. Sure, it's inexpensive so it couldn't hurt. But imagine you can spend that $10 on a nice burger. The burger will do the same for your hair as SP will = NOTHING. Except, one of those you will enjoy eating.

maxout777

Reaction score
I've taken both SP and finasteride. I'll tell you, SP does nothing..in terms of side effects, hair loss, hair growth.

It's like taking a sugar pill. Sure, it's inexpensive so it couldn't hurt. But imagine you can spend that $10 on a nice burger. The burger will do the same for your hair as SP will = NOTHING. Except, one of those you will enjoy eating.

If you take the powder pill form, yes, complete junk/sugar pill effect. The extract (liquid softgel form) has had some success for certain people. I got a lot of success from the extract in the fact that it dramatically slowed my hair loss, but I also got some pretty nasty sides from it and had to discontinue use. Just wasn't worth it for me. Most likely would've been better off just taking finasteride.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
How can I have an EQUAL chance of side effects when SP is LESS potent than finasteride? If side effects and potency aren't correlated, why do people LOWER their doses of finasteride when starting to get side effects? For the same reason you don't take spironolactone orally without becoming a female. Holy **** the hostility in this forum. Regarding me being a "smart man", thank you, yes I have a mensa membership.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I know. That is, however, not the aim of my thread. But for the record: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298508, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26010505, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122.

dutasteride is waaaaaaay more potent than finasteride but it gets the same percentage of side effects as it (with the exception of gynecomastea which is slightly higher). Sprio is different as it inhibits testosterone on top of DHT. There is evidence to theorize that once you reach a certain percentage of dht inhibition the side effect percentage plateaus.

pageidol

Reaction score
Sp is powerful alright, certainly in my case along with fenugreek too which also blocks dht and is contained in a lot off workout supplements.

Maxout, hows your recovery coming on?

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sp is powerful alright, certainly in my case along with fenugreek too which also blocks dht and is contained in a lot off workout supplements.

So you've used SP? Did you stop, and why? Did you have any success?

maxout777

Reaction score

Slow. It's an up and down process, some days are better than others. But I'm definitely A LOT better than I was when I first quit.
Seems like each time I go back down, I stay back "up" for longer than I did before....abstaining from sex/fap seems to help me the most.

Greybeer

Established Member
Reaction score
If you take the powder pill form, yes, complete junk/sugar pill effect. The extract (liquid softgel form) has had some success for certain people. I got a lot of success from the extract in the fact that it dramatically slowed my hair loss, but I also got some pretty nasty sides from it and had to discontinue use. Just wasn't worth it for me. Most likely would've been better off just taking finasteride.

What sides did you get?

maxout777

Reaction score
What sides did you get?

Brain fog, blurry vision and dry eyes, muscle loss and body hair thinning, sexual sides (all similar to finasteride). Come a long way in the month and change I've been off but it hasn't been very fun. I wouldn't recommend SP haha, but I'm biased obviously. If I had to do it over again and had to take one, I'd just take finasteride.

Kenny G

Reaction score
Saw palmetto is work, however its got limitation.

Around a month ago I bought a bottle of saw palmetto. Say what you want about it, I decided that I would try it out myself and see if I saw an improvement or side effects, etc. especially since there are 2-3 studies showing albeit slight/moderate success.
However, I haven't dared to even try the first bottle after reading some forums about people shedding a lot from SP. Will a shed really be that horrible? And are they impossible to recover from? For example if I quit the SP or just continue?

In fact, Saw palmetto usually using on male, and its have a bit side effect like you might have some hair growth on your philtrum or face. So it is quite important to get a suitable % for female. Since most of the plant extract also has acid, so you better to have it with food to balance the acid level. And its helping your body control the DHT level to avoid shedding too much, its almost need two months.

I'm quite recommend to take this and minoxidil 2% for female 6 months. SP helping you stop hair loss too much, minoxidil helping you regrowth new hair.

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
In fact, Saw palmetto usually using on male, and its have a bit side effect like you might have some hair growth on your philtrum or face. So it is quite important to get a suitable % for female. Since most of the plant extract also has acid, so you better to have it with food to balance the acid level. And its helping your body control the DHT level to avoid shedding too much, its almost need two months.

I'm quite recommend to take this and minoxidil 2% for female 6 months. SP helping you stop hair loss too much, minoxidil helping you regrowth new hair.

I am a male.