Do I need biotin supplements?

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been avoiding taking too many supplements. This may sound like a noob question but I eat four hardboiled eggs every morning. Would I still need a biotin supplement? I am also contemplating adding MSM to my regimen.

Is opting for MSM a better idea than biotin supplements since I get my biotin from eggs?

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I am currently undergoing a shed and understand that I am fulfilling more than the required rda for biotin. Would adding msm to my regime help mitigate the extent of the shedding and lead to faster recovery?

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I am currently undergoing a shed and understand that I am fulfilling more than the required rda for biotin. Would adding msm to my regime help mitigate the extent of the shedding and lead to faster recovery?
Oral castor oil stopped my shedding almost completely (would pull out 5-6 hairs every time i ran my hands through my hair, now maybe 1 hair every 5 times running my hands through it.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
It's worth a shot. I have been using castor oil mixed with coconut oil as well as a few essential oils on my scalp for the past few days. It has reduced the shedding to a degree.

Oral castor oil stopped my shedding almost completely (would pull out 5-6 hairs every time i ran my hands through my hair, now maybe 1 hair every 5 times running my hands through it.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
So with this castor oil, you guys drink it? Or apply it on your scalp?

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
So with this castor oil, you guys drink it? Or apply it on your scalp?

I "drink" it lol, not really drinking though. Soon I am going to make a solution of some kind and start dousing my entire scalp, just to see what happens.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got some castor oil yesterday, how do you drink it? It's like thick glue, made me choke! I tried mixing with shochu (35% alcohol) but it wouldn't even mix with that, let alone orange juice! It just sits like a big, gluey glob on top and gets left behind in the glass...

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought some coconut oil to mix it with, read about it on lots of women's hair sites! Also read that coconut oil may be a PGD2 antagonist. Probably no merit it that, but it smells nice! Still, it's super thick and probably doesn't penetrate well.

I tried taking it straight, but it just activates my gag reflex.

Tried heating it tonight, a mix of 1 ml castor oil, fruit juice and spirit alcohol, it's a little easier to drink but still not the easiest.

Hand sanitizer alcohol seems pretty easy to obtain, think i'll try that as a vehicle...

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some coconut oil to mix it with, read about it on lots of women's hair sites! Also read that coconut oil may be a PGD2 antagonist. Probably no merit it that, but it smells nice! Still, it's super thick and probably doesn't penetrate well.

I tried taking it straight, but it just activates my gag reflex.

Tried heating it tonight, a mix of 1 ml castor oil, fruit juice and spirit alcohol, it's a little easier to drink but still not the easiest.

Hand sanitizer alcohol seems pretty easy to obtain, think i'll try that as a vehicle...

Hi :) do you have any source that states that ?

Also, I mix my Castor Oil with a yoghurt with honey. The taste disappears.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's the texture rather than the flavor that I can't stand! I might try making a lemon and honey castor oil drink, see if that's better. I need to make the oil thinner so I don't gag on it.

As for coconut oil, if you just google coconut oil pgd2 you'll get some sites stating that it inhibits PGD2. They're all a bit dubious, like Ray Peat, I haven't actually done any research on the subject. Can't hurt anyway, maybe a mix of ethanol, coconut oil and castor oil will get the penetration I need.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
It's the texture rather than the flavor that I can't stand! I might try making a lemon and honey castor oil drink, see if that's better. I need to make the oil thinner so I don't gag on it.

As for coconut oil, if you just google coconut oil pgd2 you'll get some sites stating that it inhibits PGD2. They're all a bit dubious, like Ray Peat, I haven't actually done any research on the subject. Can't hurt anyway, maybe a mix of ethanol, coconut oil and castor oil will get the penetration I need.

The texture also disappears, try it ! :)
Ah, okay. I'll see if I can find anything. Coconut oil has other properties so you're right, it can't hurt.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
biotin doesn't do jack for hairloss. I've been on it for 2 year and nothing

- - - Updated - - -

biotin doesn't do jack for hairloss. I've been on it for 2 year and nothing

GeorgeNatur

Reaction score
Castor oil als PGD2BLOCKER in Oily Hair

I got some castor oil yesterday, how do you drink it? It's like thick glue, made me choke! I tried mixing with shochu (35% alcohol) but it wouldn't even mix with that, let alone orange juice! It just sits like a big, gluey glob on top and gets left behind in the glass...

As we Know Castor oil is a good PGE2AGONIST, but it works only in Oily Hair.

For Dry Hair Ginger root is a very good PGE2AGONIST.

A very good quality is from eclectic Institute 395mg capsules.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to gauge the efficacy of these treatments. I am presently drinking apple cider vinegar.

As we Know Castor oil is a good PGE2AGONIST, but it works only in Oily Hair.

For Dry Hair Ginger root is a very good PGE2AGONIST.

A very good quality is from eclectic Institute 395mg capsules.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi :) do you have any source that states that ?

Also, I mix my Castor Oil with a yoghurt with honey. The taste disappears.

Do you think that the castor oil is helping you?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm travelling now, so I'm on a three week break from supplements. When I was in town however:

Mornings
1 pill of glucosamine-chondritin, very gross-tasting, I'll take an extended break when I'm out, supposedly helps with inflammation
1 pill of fish oil, supposedly helps with everything
1 tablespoon of "powdered greens" dissolved in water, seems like a way to augment vegetable intake
1 tablespoon of l-arginine, I won't renew this when I'm out, supposedly helps with ED
1 pill (~60 mg) of pine bark extract, I won't renew this when I'm out, supposedly helps with ED

At night
1 "biozinc", I'll take an extended break when I'm out, supposedly helps with testosterone
0.5 tablespoon of coconut oil, will upgrade to 1 tablespoon, supposed superfood
0.5 tablespoon of grapeseed oill, will upgrade to 1 tablespoon, might reduce aromatase
0.5 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, will upgrade to 1 tablespoon, good for gut bacteria

I will likely add Vitamin D and creatine, as these are two rare supplements with substantial scientific backing. Might also add castor oil, maca powder (from Peru not from China), the maca powder i'll just dissolve in my protein shakes.

GeorgeNatur

Reaction score
Very good Quality is important

Do you think that the castor oil is helping you?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm travelling now, so I'm on a three week break from supplements. When I was in town however:

Mornings
1 pill of glucosamine-chondritin, very gross-tasting, I'll take an extended break when I'm out, supposedly helps with inflammation
1 pill of fish oil, supposedly helps with everything
1 tablespoon of "powdered greens" dissolved in water, seems like a way to augment vegetable intake
1 tablespoon of l-arginine, I won't renew this when I'm out, supposedly helps with ED
1 pill (~60 mg) of pine bark extract, I won't renew this when I'm out, supposedly helps with ED

At night
1 "biozinc", I'll take an extended break when I'm out, supposedly helps with testosterone
0.5 tablespoon of coconut oil, will upgrade to 1 tablespoon, supposed superfood
0.5 tablespoon of grapeseed oill, will upgrade to 1 tablespoon, might reduce aromatase
0.5 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, will upgrade to 1 tablespoon, good for gut bacteria

I will likely add Vitamin D and creatine, as these are two rare supplements with substantial scientific backing. Might also add castor oil, maca powder (from Peru not from China), the maca powder i'll just dissolve in my protein shakes.

David grapeseed oil is very important for hairloss(when hair is oily) and it reduces overactive 17bhsd (not aromatase).

A very good quality (one tablespoon every 2second day,morning) from Now.

Also apple cider vinegar is a very good PGE2AGONIST,

from juicerville is best quality.

- - - Updated - - -

It is difficult to gauge the efficacy of these treatments. I am presently drinking apple cider vinegar.

Rockinlove, do you have Oily?

Then it will help you.

If you have dry hair, you need Saw Pamletto.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
David grapeseed oil is very important for hairloss(when hair is oily) and it reduces overactive 17bhsd (not aromatase).

A very good quality (one tablespoon every 2second day,morning) from Now.

Also apple cider vinegar is a very good PGE2AGONIST,

from juicerville is best quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Rockinlove, do you have Oily?

Then it will help you.

If you have dry hair, you need Saw Pamletto.

minoxidil and nizoral do tend to dry your hair out. It is the same with me. I intend to get saw palmetto oil. Since I am on dutasteride adding saw palmetto might be a tad bit too much.