Do I qualify for unemployment?

CCS

Reaction score
I worked for a pest control company as a technician.

Boss told me I'd make more money doing sales for him. I signed and independent contractor thing. I still filled a saturday morning here or there for him as a technician, when needed, but mostly did the independent contractor sales for him (I get full check and must pay 15% social security on my own).

Worked for him as a technician for 10 months full time, or at least 35 hours a week, and was employed with other companies before that.

The fines ended my solicitor job. Technically I'm the one no longer knocking, but I have to since it is illegal to not have a license. He says I should keep knocking and just always say I did not know it was illegal. It is a pure commition based job, not based on hours, just sales.

Looking for work now.

Can I get unemployment checks?

Would be messed up if everyone else can and I can't.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Make sure your boss gets mentioned at the court hearing. Let the judge know he was your accomplice and he will go down with you. Usually the judge likes to go after the big boss and not the "little guy" like yourself. You need to bring the big Boss down otherwise he will be responsible for other contractors to commit crimes like you did. Just let the judge know you thought you were working under your Boss' license so you thought you were covered. I am being serious. If you tell that to the judge he may drop the charges. It shows you were still following the law by working under your Boss' license but you did not know it did not apply to an independent contractor. And if your Boss does not have a license to solicit, he will go down with you. But you let the judge know you thought he has a license to solicit so you thought you were "covered" until you got your own license. I think that is the best way to avoid getting convicted. Alot of times people can work under other people's license for like medical procedures or other jobs. However, usually independent contractors cannot but you did not know that anyway.

CCS

Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Make sure your boss gets mentioned at the court hearing. Let the judge know he was your accomplice and he will go down with you. Usually the judge likes to go after the big boss and not the "little guy" like yourself.

He owes me a lot of money. I don't have records of how much he owes, but believe him that he'll pay. He paid his other agents last year. I think it would be foolish to start a war with him like that. I'll just pay the fine and use direct mail marketing.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Of course, get your money first before you send him off to prison................................................. :whistle:

cuebald

Reaction score
Sounds like you've been screwed, mate.
Never take word from a man lower down on the Norwood scale than yourself.

s.a.f

Reaction score
A CCS PUA DVD would be better.