do most people

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
hey i was wondering if most of you used nioxin shampoo and conditioner on ur day off nizoral? also on the day u use nizoral do u follow up with nixon conditioner also? i just recently decided to add nizoral and a better shampooo into my schedule even tho i been on the other BIG 2 for over half a year....

The Gardener

Reaction score
I believe, and I am not sure about this but I am pretty sure, that Nioxin shampoos are designed to be 'mild' on the scalp, but at the same time they pack Saw Palmetto.

I don't believe that Saw Palmetto is a substance that is readibly absorbed via the scalp and into the skin in enough quantities to do any difference. So, I think Nioxin shampoos are similar in effect to using Progaine shampoos. They are mild and non-irritating, but not proven by any serious study to have any actual benefit to your hair.

If you are going to spend money like that on shampoo, then spend it on your antifungals, such as Nizoral or T-Gel. If you want a mild shampoo, try Paul Mitchell Shampoo 1, which is a quality mild shampoo, as mild or more mild than Nioxin, but at much less cost.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I have to say despite the fact Nioxin shampoos and conditioners do nothing to promote hair growth, I like the shampoo and love the Scalp Therapy Conditioner. I use their conditioner daily. It has a mint smell and a menthol effect on the scalp so it's really soothing.
I don't think most people use it though.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nioxin is supposed to have some of the potent fatty acids that are so beneficial in revivogen.

UPsideDown

Reaction score
I also use the Nioxin line... i like it, i agree the scalp therapy is very soothing... makes me almost wanna rub one out! errr not...

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
ok but just curious how often do we use nioxin shamppooos if we wanna add them in? can we still use the conditioner on the same day we use nizoral?

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
BTW i would just like to add that on the back of nioxin shampoos it claims to block DHT

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
cateyes81 said:
BTW i would just like to add that on the back of nioxin shampoos it claims to block DHT
No it doesn't....It says it "gently cleanses away toxins, residue, and DHT".
Every shampoo does that.
Huge difference from blocking DHT.

They mention DHT since they're mainly marketing to baldys like us.

as far as how to use them, Use them just like any other shampoo.

Yes you can condition after Nizoral too.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I believe, and I am not sure about this but I am pretty sure, that Nioxin shampoos are designed to be 'mild' on the scalp, but at the same time they pack Saw Palmetto..

Nope, no Saw Palmetto(serenoa repens) in Nioxin's shampoo or conditioner.