Do NOT take Flaxseed Oil?

Tee1234

Reaction score
I was wondering about this too.

I have flax seed oil at home but I'm afraid to take it if it's going to make things worse.

Ditto for Cod Liver Oil.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I took flax oil for six weeks every day without noticing any increase in shedding. The article doesn't really give any evidence, just tells you NOT to take it, without scientifically explaining why.

I'll look in to it.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
However, these lignans cause the production of estrogen. Now it is estrogen, not testosterone that causes the production of DHT!

Looks like written by our friend Mister E.

Flaxseeds have no influence on hairloss. They are both weak anti-estrogenic and anti-androgenic.

That's it!

Petchsky

Reaction score
Here's a response I got on another forum by someone more knowledgeable about these things than me.

"For starters, flax oil contains a very minute amount of lignans but certainly more than virtually anything else in food. The flax seed hulls are what contain most of the lignans and the oil doesn't contain the hulls.

I took flax seed hull lignan extract and 7-HMR for years which have hundreds of times more lignans than flax oil has. These lignans metabolize into beneficial estrogen like molecules which inhibit 17-Beta-HSD and help decrease the bad estrogens in the body.

As far as flax seed oil goes, it's poorly converted into DHA and EPA from Alpha linoleic acid and may cause an enzyme deficiency, so if one uses a of flax oil it would be a good idea to include magnesium, b6 and zinc to compensate. I prefer to use sources of EPA/DHA for my omega-3 fatty acid supplementation."

Basically the article is a load of bollocks. :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
However, these lignans cause the production of estrogen. Now it is estrogen, not testosterone that causes the production of DHT!

Looks like written by our friend Mister E.

Yes it does look like that. Makes me wonder if that little blurb is why misterE has been posting all this time that false claim about estrogen! :)

cuebald

Reaction score
The article's a scam

A) check out his userprofile for that link. Every article he's written is just a copy/paste based on that one.
B) He states "There is one thing that can stop your hairloss"
C) You must click the link to his blog in order to obtain this item, which redirects you to an Indian site with a referrer
D) This site then tries you to pay $35 for an ebook. :laugh:

I don't know if MisterE is financially connected to this guy or if he's just insane.

cuebald

Reaction score

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
If flax seed lignans did increase DHT, I would expect to people suffering from bening prostate hyperplasia to show an increase in symptoms. But, the opposite happens.

Do flax lignans reduce hair loss from male pattern baldness?

A randomized, double-blind clinical trial compared the effects of various doses (300 mg and 600 mg) of SDG on symptoms of BPH. This study found that levels of enterolactone and enteroldiol were significantly raised after supplementation, while prostate size was reduced (link). Notably, the authors conclude that the improvements in urinary symptoms from SDG were similar to those from androgen receptor blockers and more effective than 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors.

Flaxseed oil by itself is pretty much useless, in my opinion. It contains little to no lignans, and as a source of omega-3 fatty acids, it's inferior to fish oil because it contains ALA instead of EPA/DHA. So, if you're in it for the lignans, go with flax meal, and if you're in it for the omega-3, go with fish oil.