Doctor? Dermatologist? Help!

Determined

Reaction score
I'm planning on scheduling an appointment with someone as soon as possible. I don't know if I should go to my regular doctor? Or look for a dermatologist in my area?

Do most dermatologists have experience with hairloss issues?

What should I do?

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sure, dermatologists are the 'responsible doctors' for hair stuff. They are the best doctors to tell you something, althought I've learned more in foruns like these than with them. :p

G

yeh, my derm. was an *** cuz he told me nothing of the propecia shed and to use minoxidil if things got worse. so when the shed started i used rogaine cuz i thought it was gettin worse. then when i found out the shed was a good sign at this site. i stopped rogaine. now 7 months on finasteride every where i didnt use minoxidil is thicker, everywhere i did is thinner and i dont know if itll catch up, al

Determined

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

anymore suggestions from other people?

Determined

Reaction score
I was also wondering where I could get tests done to make sure it is male pattern baldness (even tho I'm pretty sure it is, it would give me piece of mind)

Would a dermatologist be able to give me blood tests etc.. ?

G

i really dont think it can be determined by a blodd test if you have male pattern baldness. it would probably be something that looks at your genes and identifies if you have the male pattern baldness gene. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :shock:

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not blood test dude. They just look at your head, and tell ya what you've got.

Determined

Reaction score
No... I mean tests before they look at your scalp... like a blood test to disprove overactive or underactive thyroid.. or low levels of iron in your blood, or anything else that could cause temporary loss.

I'm not trying to find a reason for my hair loss that isnt male pattern baldness, I just would feel better if I knew 100% it wasnt my thyriod or anything else.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel that people who frequent this forum, and read every single article in this website know more than the dermatologists with regard to male pattern baldness and its treatment. The best thing to do is to educate yourself to save yourself.