Does Equol inhibit 5 alpha reductase?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how Equol would theoretically work? I have heard it works differently than 5AR inhibitors.

Would there be less chance of sides? If not, why is there this idea that equol would be side effect free?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I read it forms in your digestive track from ingesting soy products. I have been eating and drinking a lot of soy products as well as taking saw palmetto with no noticeable sides. I think sides come from blocking the DHT, so equol is probably less likely to cause sides, but also less likely to grow hair. I figure every little bit helps though, especially since I can't take finasteride/dutasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Equol doesn't inhibit 5a-reductase, as far as I know. It works by binding directly to DHT molecules and rendering them inactive. It should have an effect that's very similar to finasteride and dutasteride (both side-effects and desired effects).

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Equol doesn't inhibit 5a-reductase, as far as I know. It works by binding directly to DHT molecules and rendering them inactive. It should have an effect that's very similar to finasteride and dutasteride (both side-effects and desired effects).

This is interesting though. I would think if it doesn't directly interefere with 5a-reductase, there would be less chance of any possible sides like fatigue, brain fog, mood, etc. because neurosteroids that act on GABA would not be affected. Or am I totally off base?

A lot of people are scared particularly of dutasteride. because of its inhibition of type I, but with equol it looks like you may still have sexual sides, but no theoretical brain fog or neurological degenerative problems?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
This is interesting though. I would think if it doesn't directly interefere with 5a-reductase, there would be less chance of any possible sides like fatigue, brain fog, mood, etc. because neurosteroids that act on GABA would not be affected. Or am I totally off base?

A lot of people are scared particularly of dutasteride. because of its inhibition of type I, but with equol it looks like you may still have sexual sides, but no theoretical brain fog or neurological degenerative problems?

So how do you explain the fact that even finasteride users have complained of "brain fog" and other vague symptoms?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
youngbaldie said:

So how do you explain the fact that even finasteride users have complained of "brain fog" and other vague symptoms?

A user named Bismarck, had a very good discussion on allopregnanolone inhibition due to inhibiting 5 alpha reductase.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 29f1349fd9

Not sure if he is right or not, but he says allopregnanolone is metabolized by type II in the blood and reaches the brain that way. I have read a study I think as well that says allopregnanolone is diminished by I think 86% in finasteride, or course I think this was done on rodents.

CCS

Reaction score
EQOUL bonds to DHT wherever it is. It would be even more indiscriminant of DHT tissues than DHT finasteride is better because it only goes after 5r2. I also doubt you can make enough EQUOL to have nearly the effects finasteride has on DHT.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
Not sure if he is right or not, but he says allopregnanolone is metabolized by type II in the blood and reaches the brain that way.

5a-reductase isn't in the blood at all, it's strictly a cellular enzyme.

youngbaldie said:
I have read a study I think as well that says allopregnanolone is diminished by I think 86% in finasteride, or course I think this was done on rodents.

Perhaps, but you have to be very cautious when interpreting rodent studies. By no means do they have the same distribution of 5a-reductase enzymes that humans have. It's highly likely that the version of the enzyme in their brains IS inhibited by finasteride, as opposed to humans.

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
youngbaldie said:
I have read a study I think as well that says allopregnanolone is diminished by I think 86% in finasteride, or course I think this was done on rodents.

Perhaps, but you have to be very cautious when interpreting rodent studies. By no means do they have the same distribution of 5a-reductase enzymes that humans have. It's highly likely that the version of the enzyme in their brains IS inhibited by finasteride, as opposed to humans.

I question whether all humans have the same 5ar2/1 ratios in each tissue. We already know the total concentrations in each tissue vary from person to person, and explain differing body hair levels.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
5a-reductase isn't in the blood at all, it's strictly a cellular enzyme.

Sorry, I worded that totally wrong and didn't mean at all to say that.
The exact quote is here.

"Type II is not present in the brain. But allopregnanolone is metabolized by the type II in the blood and reaches the brain." "

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... c&start=10

I also just found this on HLH.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/FORUMS/mess ... adid=66384

Maybe you can sort all this out, you have a much better understanding about this than I.

youngbaldie said:

Bryan said:

Bryan, is it true that finasteride has been tested to treat alcoholism? I think I read that bit of info too, because it inhibited several certain neurosteroids in the brain. Know anything about that?