Does everybody shed?

ru1

Reaction score
Hi all, was just wondering if everyone shed using regaine or do some just regrow hair without a major shed?

Cheers

Ru

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
to my knowledge there are people that regrow without having anything beyond normal shedding but for me personally i had a quite big shed on liquid and massive shed on foam,with the correlating regrowth for each :)

ru1

Reaction score
How long after you started using the liquid did your first shed occur? I've been on the regaine reg strength 2 per cent for 1 month and just switched to extra strength..

Cheers :)

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
ru1 said:
How long after you started using the liquid did your first shed occur? I've been on the regaine reg strength 2 per cent for 1 month and just switched to extra strength..

Cheers :)

pretty much dead on one month :)

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
ru1 said:
Hi all, was just wondering if everyone shed using regaine or do some just regrow hair without a major shed?

The incidence of significant shedding is probably less than 10-15% of persons on medical treatment.

Dr Proctor

evildude

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Dr. Proctor.

Does that mean everyone will shed at least a little bit, but most people won't notice it?

Furthermore, i read a post on another forum, in which you said that hairs in the "resting phase" are sometimes shed as a result of taking a hair growth promotor(or finasteride). You said something along the lines of that new "hair production" began and so the chemical binding of the old hair was cut. This all makes sense, but my question is this. Does this only apply to hairs in the resting phase? What about miniaturized hairs that are still growing? Hairs that are "damaged", but not yet entered the resting phase? Will they be unafected by the hair growth stimulator? Will they eventually be affected once they enter the resting phase?

Lots of questions. Hope you have the time to answer. :)

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
The incidence of significant shedding is probably less than 10-15% of persons on medical treatment.Dr Proctor

Is it possible or someone to start shedding (from rogain) on the first day of application? I've been shedding significantly since the very first day and want to know if this is shedding or an adverse reaction. If it's shedding I'll ride it out. How do I tell??????

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
evildude said:
Hey Dr. Proctor.

Does that mean everyone will shed at least a little bit, but most people won't notice it?

Furthermore, i read a post on another forum, in which you said that hairs in the "resting phase" are sometimes shed as a result of taking a hair growth promotor(or finasteride). You said something along the lines of that new "hair production" began and so the chemical binding of the old hair was cut. This all makes sense, but my question is this. Does this only apply to hairs in the resting phase? What about miniaturized hairs that are still growing? Hairs that are "damaged", but not yet entered the resting phase? Will they be unafected by the hair growth stimulator? Will they eventually be affected once they enter the resting phase?

Lots of questions. Hope you have the time to answer. :)

Dr P replies:
1) I suspect that a few hairs are shed early in most persons on medical treatment. But not enough that this is generally noticible in terms of an increased loss rate.

2) The very last part of the telogen phase involves the hair moving to the top of the follicle and enzymatically-dissolving the molecular bonds (desmosomes) that attach it to the follicle. This is where you get all those hairs that come out with a light pull. In the anagen (growth), catagen, and early telogen phases, the molecular bonds are still pretty strong. In fact, so strong that the hair typically breaks off rather than pulling out.

This can have practical importance-- I once testified in a murder case that a hair found grasped in the hand of the murder victim was broken traumatically (obvious under the microscope). Thus it was likely from his attacker, not just a shed hair that wandered into the scene.

3) As for vellous hairs-- the same. The difference is that vellous hairs may only spend only 3-6 months or so in the growth phase. Then the standard 2-4 months in the telogen (loss) phase. I.e., About half of your vellous hair is in the loss phase at any one time. Ya cut the length of the loss phase with treatment and it can seem as though vellous hair is coming out in handfulls. Relax, the hair that replaces it is likely to be longer and coarser with each succeeding hair cycle.

4) Very often, the first response to treatment is vellous hair. A common complaint on medical treatment is "Early-on, I grew a bunch of short fine hair. then it all fell out at six months". Treatment has not stopped working. It is just that this vellous hair has gone thru its cycle, shortened by the effect of medical treatment on the loss-phase. Again, the hair that replaces it is likely to be coarsere and longer and will spend more time in the growth phase.

The unfair thing is this typically happens in people who responded early and well to treatment, which gets the new vellous growth synchronized and hopes raised. Then it all seems to fall out at once, dashing hopes. Again, this is an artifact of the way medical treatment interacts with the hair cycle and is actually a sign of a reasonable response.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
rkim said:
pproctor said:
The incidence of significant shedding is probably less than 10-15% of persons on medical treatment.Dr Proctor

Is it possible or someone to start shedding (from rogain) on the first day of application? I've been shedding significantly since the very first day and want to know if this is shedding or an adverse reaction. If it's shedding I'll ride it out. How do I tell??????

Easy-- it takes more that a day or two for the follicles to respond to treatment and start shedding loss-phase hair. The rogaine package insert says the wave of shedding may start as early as two weeks after starting treatment. But, in my experience 3-6 weeks is more typical.

Peter H Proctor, PhD,MD

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
Easy-- it takes more that a day or two for the follicles to respond to treatment and start shedding loss-phase hair. The rogaine package insert says the wave of shedding may start as early as two weeks after starting treatment. But, in my experience 3-6 weeks is more typical.

But I did start to loose a significant amount of hair, suddenly, the day after I started minoxidil which has continued for these 6 weeks. It was unmistakable.

I suspect that a few hairs are shed early in most persons on medical treatment. But not enough that this is generally noticible in terms of an increased loss rate.

Thing is, I've lost at least 50% of my hair in these 6 weeks. It's not just the increase in the shower but I've been taking pictures and it's obvious. How is this possible if it should be more like 10 - 15%?

Is it possible that since I used minoxidil for years, stopped for a few months, and have now gotten back on? Could it be that the "minoxidil" hairs are shedding and more easily than normal hairs?

I see on this board that you should be patient and it could take up to a year to see results. I assume they mean and increase in hairs, above baseline, right? Shouldn't I see a return to at least baseline much faster, in say 3 months since those hairs "would have fallen out anyway"?

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd give an update for anyone going through a similar experience, and to keep things complete.

The shedding has FINALLY stopped. here's a timeline so far

(FYI - I was on minoxidil for 6-7 years. After it started to loose it's effectiveness I quit, then stared again after a 3.5 month break. There was no shedding during this time, in fact hairloss was less)

12/7 - 2 applications of 5%. Started shedding like crazy (not joking). Stopped applying.

12/14 - The shedding slowed down after the week so I decided to start with 2% once a day and build up. Shedding started up immediately.

12/26 - Increased to 5% twice a day. Shedding persists.

The shedding continued heavily for the next 6.5 to 7 weeks and then finally slowed down. Really, I lost 50% of my hair. I'm guessing due to having been on minoxidil prior(?).

Over the next 4 weeks or so shedding was minimal and I've noticed some improvement. Really, I think things have already gotten somewhat better. Small little hairs around the hairline, fuller appearance overall, hair feels stronger.

Now the question is, are these hairs I JUST lost? Will I return to baseline or have some progress since cycling off? We'll see. It may be because of the sharp contrast of the shed and my quick turnaround, but I feel like there's going to be an improvement. However, I'd settle for my baseline and be happy. A good sign is that I'm loosing less hair in the shower than before quitting.

Are there any success stories of people who have cycled off?

What I've learned? That I really need to accept my balding. I was seriously depressed when it seemed like I was going to have to shave my head. Now with hope of delaying it, I feel much happier and more confident. This isn't good.