Does male pattern baldness depend on the country ? How ?

Bora

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm Turkish and 23, almost Norwood 3 and I'm also a member of a Turkish hair loss forum. In that Turkish forum when I showed them I'm almost nw3, they didn't surprised, even some of them said I'm on a cool spot according to my age. And I realized in that forum, guys who're on their early 20s are moving towards Nw3 just like me in the best case scenario.
But in this forum, when I showed I'm 23 and Norwood 2.75, most of the members are surprised and they found my amount of recession too much for my age. I don't get it, how come ?

crikey1980

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah turkey has a high rate of male pattern baldness from what I saw when on vacation much higher than Italy, Spain, Portugal.

My Premier league of baldness
1.greece
2.turkey
3.england
4.ireland
5france
6 Germany
7.italy
8.usa
9.spain
10.netherands
11.serbia

Loife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha premier league of hairloss! I'd put Russia and all the slavic countries pretty high up! Also move the Netherlands up and Ireland down from my experiences!

I was in Indonesia on Sumatra and I'd say there guys had the best hair out of every country I've been to! In fact most of east Asia!

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that frontal hair loss without crown thinning (NW2A-NW3A-NW4A) happens with waaay more frequency in countries such as Spain, Italy and Greece. That's why some people call that type of balding as the ''Mediterranean Pattern''.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Japanese don’t lose their hair cause of tofu... Mexicans don’t cause of avocados

Last edited:

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my country (Norway) the situation is really weird. Some days when I'm out and going, it looks like everyone has great hair. Everyone has stylish hairstyles, and I see middle-aged men with thick NW1s or at least NW2s all the time, and I see old dudes with long, grey hippie hair (typically with some recession or thinning, but I mean who tf makes it until old age with literally no hair loss?). And I just feel jelly and out of place being not even 20 and almost a NW3.

But then there are other days when I'm going out and it looks like literally everybody has godawful hair, like everyone turned into a NW4+ overnight, and I'm just left wondering if there has been a atomic radiation accident which mutated everybody.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my country (Norway) the situation is really weird. Some days when I'm out and going, it looks like everyone has great hair. Everyone has stylish hairstyles, and I see middle-aged men with thick NW1s or at least NW2s all the time, and I see old dudes with long, grey hippie hair (typically with some recession or thinning, but I mean who tf makes it until old age with literally no hair loss?). And I just feel jelly and out of place being not even 20 and almost a NW3.

But then there are other days when I'm going out and it looks like literally everybody has godawful hair, like everyone turned into a NW4+ overnight, and I'm just left wondering if there has been a atomic radiation accident which mutated everybody.
Where I live very few men have noticeable baldness before 25. Its pretty rare for young guys, but there are a bunch of bald older guys NW4+. With guys over 40 it seems to be a just shaver or a guy with NW1/2.

However nightlife is pretty brutal everywhere in the world I think, after 9 P.M. the average height becomes over 6'2 and you wont see any baldness and a disproportionate amount of guys who have naturally low hairlines which I don't see in this white area during the day, only shaved heads is the worst you will see. Guys from uni or high school usually have peak esthetics at that time.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where I live very few men have noticeable baldness before 25. Its pretty rare for young guys, but there are a bunch of bald older guys NW4+. With guys over 40 it seems to be a just shaver or a guy with NW1/2.
I've heard that apparently 20% of guys have visible hair loss by age 20, but I do not buy that one bit. I only saw a handful of guys in high school with hair loss (me included), rest were thick NW1. I do see some guys with some recession or thinning in their 20s, but I haven't (knowingly at least) met a really young guy with severe hair loss.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard that apparently 20% of guys have visible hair loss by age 20, but I do not buy that one bit. I only saw a handful of guys in high school with hair loss (me included), rest were thick NW1. I do see some guys with some recession or thinning in their 20s, but I haven't (knowingly at least) met a really young guy with severe hair loss.
I'm convinced that particular stat is bull. In my high school there was only 1 guy out of like 300 with a NW2.5 receding hairline, but it didn't look like he was balding for some reason. My friend is NW2 and everyone thinks he is trolling if he tells he is balding since he looks like he has no hair loss until he pulls his hair back but its probably his natural hair. Even with a slicked back hairstyle he looks like NW1 he really needs to pull it to see the NW2. That 20% might be maturing hairline when hairline goes back a bit but stops for a long time.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally I knew a couple guys in my high school who showed some serious recession for their age (NW2-2.5 at 17 years old). One was in my group of friends and was a year older than me and had an epic beard and was getting the typical NW3 M shaped hairline. I could tell this guy would prolly go full bald in 3 or 4 years, and he surely knew too because he got a buzzcut a couple times till we started calling him Jesse Pinkman, seems he didn't like Breaking Bad at all. After that he started dying his hair and growing it out, which made it look better. I don't see him anymore but nowadays he's 24 and seems to be sporting an extreme undercut with shaved sides and grown out top and takes most pictures in ''creative angles'' that hide his recession. Guy's had 3 or 4 girlfriends and is chubby too, so there's always hope for all of you early balders out there.

The other guy I remember was pretty popular thanks to his looks and good hair. He had a decent hairline but had lost almost all his temples by the time he was 17 and was left with a fivehead. He started getting a man bun, which is like the last stage of hair loss for young guys before buzzing or shaving it in my opinion. After graduation he became a barman and still seems to be holding on well in his 24 years to what's left of his once huge mane, managing to grow it out long enough to sport a decent looking caesar haircut or an undercut sometimes. And this guy sleeps like sh*t and abused drugs from 17 to 22. I think he's been taking finasteride for a couple years tho, because his 28 years old bro is NW3.5-4 and his dad is bald. I kinda feel sorry for the guy since he can't grow a beard at all and has a Robin Hood chin that would prolly look terrible if he went bald and was forced to just shave it.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
he got a buzzcut a couple times till we started calling him Jesse Pinkman, seems he didn't like Breaking Bad at all.
Lol some friends have said I look like Jesse Pinkman both due to my hairline and for when I got a buzzcut a few months back.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol some friends have said I look like Jesse Pinkman both due to my hairline and for when I got a buzzcut a few months back.
I'd take it as a compliment honestly, unless you're very young. He's a good looking dude and he looks nice with a buzzcut, although I'm biased against buzzcuts since I was forced to sport one from 14 to 17 and nowadays hate how I looked.

WinningTheFight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes country does matter because of the local common genetics.
One interesting fact: Pure native Americans have zero hair loss in their genes. If you meet a native american with hair loss, he is definitely not purely native american.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes country does matter because of the local common genetics.
One interesting fact: Pure native Americans have zero hair loss in their genes. If you meet a native american with hair loss, he is definitely not purely native american.
I've seen claims that some Native American tribes used the Yucca plant to prevent hair loss, which is pretty interesting, though maybe it was used for hair loss that wasn't caused by androgenetic alopecia.

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In most cases, it matters. Where I from in Malaysia, while there are people with severe hair loss (DUPA and NW7+), most of them are full heads and only lose their hair on the crown with an NW1-2 hairline.

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What I have noticed with italian and arabic men is that they either go extremly thin early, or they have a Frank Vincent hairline at age 60+.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding genetics, ...People with dense and thicker hair are less prone to develop common baldness, also the lenght of hairs have a role, better if longer, Women it is an example