Does shaving your head help or hurt the regrowth process?

Argentcour

Reaction score
Since I did realize for sure about six weeks ago that I was losing hair, I decided to get a prescription for Propecia and bought Rogaine 5% foam from Costco. A sidenote is that in hindsight, I know that the hair loss started more like at the beginning of the year but I thought it had to do with the haircut or styling of my hair somehow or that my hair was just not responding well.

Anyway, now there does seem to be a more drastic hair loss than before on the whole top of my head where before it was mostly significant diffuse thinning on the top in the front. I guess I can attribute this to (a) shedding mostly and (b) additional hair loss partially.

I really never thought I would go bald since my hair was so thick and there seemed to be no real baldness in my family, yet I always said, "If I start going bald - I am shaving my head!"

Now to my question: It seems logical to me that shaving my head during this treatment phase might serve two purposes: (1) in effect eliminate the appearance of shedding, and (2) make the application of Rogaine more effective. In other words, cosmetically and physiologically it seems like a good idea.

IS THERE ANY DATA OR STUDIES COMPLETED ON PATIENTS UNDERGOING TREATMENT AND THE EFFECT OF SHAVING THEIR HEAD VERSUS LETTING IT TAKE ITS NATURAL COURSE UNDER TREATMENT?

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
The only thing that shaving will achieve is shortening of your hair.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Powersam for the link, but the study only studied body hairs (what is crural area?), and it is differente from scalp hairs.
The study says that:
(3% hairs in telogen and stay much longer that anagen hairs.
Hair growth is influenced by temperature and nutrition.

My idea is that thisprocess is diferent from shaving head hairs. Shaving - Clipping.

In other words, repetead shaving of scalp hairs can be dangerous if you don't avoid problems in sebum flow.

Armando