Does Switching From Finasteride To Dutasteride Cause Shedding?

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I've been to the GP & the pharmacy, and I've picked up my dutasteride 0.5mg tablets, so tomorrow I make the switch. I've been on finasteride 5 years & it's been good to me (my hair would be a lot worse without it) but, alas, I've yet to see any regrowth. I'm hoping that making the switch might improve things (probably not).
I've heard that I might experience shedding & was wondering if there's any truth in it? Please let me know.

Many thanks.

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe think about tapering off the finasteride and slowly upping your dose of duta. people reckon thats why people lose there hairline on duta. cause there aint nothing protecting them while duta kicks in. just gospel though i suppose

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe think about tapering off the finasteride and slowly upping your dose of duta. people reckon thats why people lose there hairline on duta. cause there aint nothing protecting them while duta kicks in. just gospel though i suppose
I agree, it takes duta 4-6 months to develop a sensation in the blood stream so my school of thought would be to take finasteride for the 4-6 months to avoid the big shed. That is what I am doing now. I don’t think I’ve had a big shed but some minor ones and now I am tapering off the finasteride. I have to add that I’ve started RU a few days ago and I believe it is helping

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
to take finasteride for the 4-6 months to avoid the big shed. That is what I am doing now
Have you been taking both dutasteride 0.5mg & finasteride 1mg for 6 months? Is it safe to take both? Or do you mean taking a lower dose of finasteride?

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe think about tapering off the finasteride and slowly upping your dose of duta
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, but then I read that Spex simply stopped taking finasteride 1 day & started the dutasteride the next, so now I'm kind of torn.
We all react in different ways, which sadly makes it nigh on impossible to know whether or not you're doing the right thing (that is, until it's too late).

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you been taking both dutasteride 0.5mg & finasteride 1mg for 6 months? Is it safe to take both? Or do you mean taking a lower dose of finasteride?
No, I’ve actually been taking 2.5 mg a day of finasteride and .5mg dutasteride Ed. I have switched with eod dutasteride and now for a month I have been ed with dutasteride. Every thing I’ve read had a person going cold turkey finasteride to dutasteride and get a huge shed. Well, you look at the cessation period of dutasteride is 4-6 months so it just makes sense to keep the fun for a while.

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I’ve actually been taking 2.5 mg a day of finasteride and .5mg dutasteride Ed. I have switched with eod dutasteride and now for a month I have been ed with dutasteride. Every thing I’ve read had a person going cold turkey finasteride to dutasteride and get a huge shed. Well, you look at the cessation period of dutasteride is 4-6 months so it just makes sense to keep the fun for a while.
I’m down to about 1 mg a day of finasteride

User707

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anyone here report on their switch from finasteride to DUA in the long term? Been on finasteride for 20 years and its been good to me. Just recently I feel like I need a kick as noticed a bit of loss in the last 2 months so was thinking of making the change to DUA or maybe keeping on finasteride and doing DU twice a week.. Any advice would be appreciated!