Does this make sense?

piacere

Reaction score
I decided to be proactive with my hair loss, as I noticed that my hairline had receded slowly since I was longer, and I went on Propecia. Since then, my hair has grown thinner/finer month-by-month (something that had never happened before), and my hair has shed on a constant basis since I began (also never really happened before). What started out as being proactive has turned into something with no results and my hair being extremely thick to where I can barely see fallen hair because it is so thin.

Does that make sense? You would think that after 14-15 months, 9 months minoxidil, vitamins and nice shampoo that I would see results, or at least a decrease in shedding... right?

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same position. I started finasteride last year, around February or something, and within months noticed the hair on the top of my head getting thinner. I'm 37 and started to recede at the age of 18, so I find it really weird that my hair loss would get kicked into high-gear out of the blue, so it must have something to do with the finasteride. After realizing my hair was thinner I chalked it up to being the "finasteride shed', but it's still thin a year later. I got on finasteride to be proactive so I could hold onto what I had at the time, and maybe even get some regrowth, but my hair is much worse than it was before starting.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still taking finasteride. I'm not sure to be honest with you whether my hair has gotten worse since the first time I noticed it was thinner, but it definitely hasn't rebounded.

hockeyman34

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. Before I started finasteride, only my temples were showing slight recession but nothing major. I still had very thick hair all over, including a pretty young hairline. Now after 2.5 months on finasteride (1mg per day, cut up from a 5 mg proscar), my temples have thinned dramatically and my crown has become much thinner and is becoming more and more visible. I'm 19 and have the male pattern baldness gene, but it has only become evident in the months that I have been on finasteride. I'm shedding probably 40 hairs every time I shower, and I'm guessing several more throughout the day during various activities. I started shedding immediately after starting it, and I'd just like to return to what I had because it was barely any loss at all. Do you recommend adding minoxidil to my regimen? Would love to hear your thoughts.

piacere

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. Before I started finasteride, only my temples were showing slight recession but nothing major. I still had very thick hair all over, including a pretty young hairline. Now after 2.5 months on finasteride (1mg per day, cut up from a 5 mg proscar), my temples have thinned dramatically and my crown has become much thinner and is becoming more and more visible. I'm 19 and have the male pattern baldness gene, but it has only become evident in the months that I have been on finasteride. I'm shedding probably 40 hairs every time I shower, and I'm guessing several more throughout the day during various activities. I started shedding immediately after starting it, and I'd just like to return to what I had because it was barely any loss at all. Do you recommend adding minoxidil to my regimen? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Honestly, if I were you and I could go back, I'd drop finasteride and accept the hair that I have. 2.5 months is too soon to tell if finasteride is working, but in the end for me, it looks like it never worked. I'd much rather have slow but definite hair loss throughout my 20s, than expedited hair loss with the small chance that it will prevent complete hair loss. Especially because in my case, I lost 4-5 years worth of hair in 2 years and finasteride didn't even work.

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
Hi piacere have you found out what was going on, maybe you should see a doctor? I believe I have the exact same situation, since finasteride I have just gotten worse and worse and I only decided to use it to keep my NW1! I have shedded and diffused from all over my scalp now and I believe lost years of ground in the 18months I have been on finasteride and dutasteride!

piacere

Reaction score
I'm giving it about 3 more months before I quit, so a total of 16 months. I also had some blood work done at my most recent physical, so we will see if there is anything out of the ordinary that is contributing to my hair loss.. my guess is that there won't be and the medication just doesn't work for me. Oh well.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm giving it about 3 more months before I quit, so a total of 16 months. I also had some blood work done at my most recent physical, so we will see if there is anything out of the ordinary that is contributing to my hair loss.. my guess is that there won't be and the medication just doesn't work for me. Oh well.

I am sorry to hear that. I am in the same boat as you. Now into 16 - 17 months on The Big Three with constant shedding and therefore more thinning. I will give it another 6 months to make it 24 months before I do anything about it. Some guy on this forum said that his hair was like crap until 18 - 20 months mark of the treatment!